Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Glasses, why so expensive?
  • Moe

…..although the frames are a smaller part of the cost, for a small amout of metal and plastic they must be more expensive than gold ounce for ounce?

There has only ever been one question, but thank you for all the other answers (and opinion) on the other stuff.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Easy done. My new glasses cost me over £300 the frames were just over £100. I need a very particular lens, the alternative is for me to wear something like milk bottles on my face, at 50% actual thickness my lenses are still 50mm thick. Thing is my corrected vision is razor sharp so I am happy to keep my optician at a well known big brand.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

The Mrs spends about £450 on her glasses, i suggested a sharp tap to the back of the head with a piece of 4 by 2, might knock things back into focus, gotta be worth a try.
    Not while she’s wearing her new glasses, obviously.

brassneck

my lenses are still 50mm thick

😯

GrahamS

I’ve got loads of pairs of sunglasses, and prescription glasses using either new frames, or sunglasses bought cheap and re-glazed, and I can’t think of a single pair that could be rescued if the hinge got mangled…

Well it would be pretty trivial to swap out a hinge or even an entire leg on my glasses. It just attaches with a little bolt.

But they don’t offer such spare parts because they’d much rather force you into buying new specs for the sake of a 10p hinge. 👿

aP
    Free Member

When I used to wear LAeyeworks frames I’m certain that spares were available, after a frame cracked they couriered a new frame over to my opticians. My current theo frames have spares available as do my relatively new Mykita sunglasses.

h1jjy
    Free Member

got my last set from my local independent, Oakley frames for £150 all in.

I swear by Oakley frames, for both vision and shades

chewkw
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

The mark-up on anything sold in the high-street has to be high to pay for the rent of premium space. Same thing with Coffee shops etc.

^^^ This and the cost of feeding the bureaucratic ZMs. 😯

Moe

does the high street theory stand up though? What if all high street sold products were proportionally retailed price wise as the constituent parts and manufacturing cost as Glasses FRAMES ( 😉 ) are?

aP
    Free Member

Moe – I assume you don’t buy t-shirts made in Bangladesh with the logo of a [insert fashion brand of choice] made for 6 or maybe 7 pence and sold for £45?

rob1984p
    Free Member

Horses for courses. I have a male colleague who’s almost 60 and wears various poundland ones with animal print arms, another goes to a factory that has its own shop (in Atlas area of Sheffield) and swears by them for quality and value. I have a couple £25 pairs of specsavers ones. Perfect for getting muddy. I assume high end glasses are you expensive because they are very accurately made by someone that knows what they’re doing.

slowoldman

I assume high end glasses are you expensive because they are very accurately made by someone that knows what they’re doing.

…and properly fitted by someone that knows what they’re doing. This is pretty important with varifocals.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Glasses, why so expensive?’ is closed to new replies.