• This topic has 26 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Gissadiscountmate
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Where do you ask for one? Where do you think you should get one? And why….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you get the hooked to bring the coke?

ton

nowhere. the internet has killed the need to ask for a discount.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Dis Count?

Stoner
    Free Member

there are two prices for beer in one of my local pubs.
    For locals it’s £3 a pint, for others it’s £3.20ish

I’m far too much a reserved Englishman to ask for a discount though. If I walked into a Turkish bazaar, I’d probably end up haggling the price UP!

EDIT: I’ve just remembered, I’ve actually done that – buying second hand stuff (such as my new recurve bow), when asking for a price, I think it’s too low and “insist I pay more for it”.

Im a mug.

RustySpanner

At the vets.
    ‘I’m sorry Mr Spanner, we’ll have to remove her leg’.
    Talked them into a 2-for-1 deal, bargain.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Never asked “what’s the best price you can do for this?”
    Don’t even haggle buying things 2nd hand.
    If I don’t want to pay the asking price then I don’t buy it.
    I’m either a mug or the other one.
    😆 @Rusty

nickjb
    Free Member

Any place that requires you to ask for a discount just to get the basic price is off my list, builder merchants and the like. I’d rather look online and shop with people who are a bit more up front about pricing. I’m sure they aren’t fussed about my boycott but it makes me happier! Only place I’ll actively ask for a discount is with 2nd hand stuff where the price is far more subjective, even then its not automatic. If its a fair price, or what I am happy to pay I’ll just pay it.

LoCo
    Free Member

‘What’s yer best price on a service’

Funnily enough it’s the one listed.

AlexSimon

I don’t ask very often, but sometimes they are offered.
    I’ve just bought a bathroom suite and as it was obvious we’d visited many shops, we got offered 20% off rrp. They were also very honest about which products they couldn’t compete on and understood that we’d probably buy them elsewhere (Mira Shower).

I looked online afterwards and we would have probably saved a further 5-10% buy buying from multiple online retailers which wouldn’t have been worth it compared to the quality of advise and service we got from them. Some of the products might not even have been comparable (the screen and towel radiator are made in the UK which I didn’t see online).

Mainly, it was a balance between the decent prices and the fact that we liked the cut of their jib (we previously found the whole thing a headache). Spent £1200 with them.

Klunk
    Free Member

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I was wondering about this the other day when thinking about a trip to the cinema. Taking the kids to see a film is relatively expensive so we often use Groupon vouchers or go to the cheap showings early at the weekend. But I was wondering what they would say if you asked for discount for a film that had been out for a while and was poorly attended. Surely it would be better to reduce prices for those screenings and get more people in, a bit like late deals on flights, hotel rooms etc. After all they are already showing the film and the costs don’t increase much, if at all, just because more people are there to see it. Cinemas are happy to charge more to see certain blockbusters like the last Star Wars film and James Bond one.

AlexSimon

Any place that requires you to ask for a discount just to get the basic price is off my list, builder merchants and the like.

My local timber place charges me different prices every time I go in! No idea what principle they work on.
    I keep going back because they have an awesome wall saw that cuts all my Birch Ply to within 0.5mm so I end up with a kit of bits to build with.

Price per full sheet of 15mm birch ply has varied from £45 to £69 + vat. I ignore it as it saves me hours of cutting.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

From Maserati always for the daily inconvenience 😉

RustySpanner

Serious answer.

Bike shops.
    Any consumer electronics.
    Big items of furniture.
    Cars.
    Toys – guitars, hi-fi, outdoor gear, camera gear, etc.

I don’t mind asking, why not?
    Many seem to offer a discount as soon as you get chatting these days.

If I get a good deal and good service, I’ll go back for servicing, spares, accessories etc.

I’ll recommend them to everyone I know too.

maccruiskeen

there are two prices for beer in one of my local pubs.
    For locals it’s £3 a pint, for others it’s £3.20ish

When I was a student our art school was separate from all the other departments (about 7 miles from the main campus) was in the financial district – not really surrounded by pubs that catered for scruffy students, things like the Student Union were too far away to bother with (I went there once in the first week and never visited the campus again). However – one pub recognised that we didn’t go home as early as their suited patrons so they had secret happy hours. It wasn’t announced, but from time to time if it was us that asked we got double whatever we asked for – ask for a pint – get two pints but only get charged for one.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Always ask for NHS discount everywhere I go.

If I’m buying one thing plus an additional purchase I always say “I’m going to buy X, but if you give me a discount I will buy Y as well”. Funnily enough, the worst they have said is no. So far.

maccruiskeen

Always ask for NHS discount everywhere I go.

I work a fair bit in film and tv and someone suggested I should say I work for the BBC when getting prices (which indirectly I often am) – did a bit of phoning around for quotes and some places if I called twice with the same order were marking up about 30% when I asked for the BBC ‘discount’ 🙂

Dickyboy

Thought I’d done really well at negotiating an extra 10% off in a jewelers at the weekend, until I got home and realised that using the £50 off voucher I had forgotten about would have been a better option….

metalheart
    Free Member

Goodness Flashy, how terribly vulgar.

If one feels one is being overcharged one simply just doesn’t settle ones account.

Worked for that fella Churchill and a couple of royals…

Coyote
    Free Member

I assume that the best price is the one shown so if I don’t like the price I don’t buy the goods / service. If I’m offered a discount then fair enough but I don’t actively seek them.

matt_outandabout

My boss seems good at getting a discount. From my salary…..

wrecker
    Free Member

Difficult. I see something online for a better price than I can buy locally. Do I give the local retailer an opportunity to match (or get close to) it or do I just buy online straight away?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If the shop offers interest free credit and I’m willing to pay cash then I’ll ask if there’s any benefit to me paying cash. Most times the shop will knock a bit off of the ticket price, sometimes not. Either way’ I’ve already committed to buying at that point so would go through with the sale regardless. No harm in asking but pretty shabby behaviour to get the hump about being turned down.

I assume the interest free offer costs the shop something and they’re in effect passing the saving from not having to arrange a credit agreement on to me? This might be wrong though any shop owners care to confirm?

fettlin

Any large item i always ask, either for ‘best price’ or usually if they price match (I research most purchases before entering the shops).

As said above, the worst they can say is ‘no’. I’ll then weigh up the cost/hassle difference of going elsewhere.

The only place I don’t ask for is the LBS, as I usually get it anyway 🙂

jekkyl

ask for a discount anywhere you think the person behind the till has the power to lower the price. i.e. not the coop or the pub.
    Bike shops? yeah sure, they can always say no, you don’t ask you don’t get.

D0NK

Used to ask in a lot of places, ex-gf’s dad would ask absolutely everywhere so that rubbed off on me a bit.
    Lately I just look online and either go for cheapest online deal or if a local shop has it for a similar price I’ll take that.
    My LBS is a roady place, any instock road/generic stuff is normally discounted anyway, mtb parts ordered in can be spendy but as I have to wait I may aswell order online.

If I ever buy a full bike again I’ll be asking for a discount.

“What’s your best price” seems a crap line, there’s no way they’re going to tell you the absolute lowest they’d accept straight off, so it’s a question you know they are going to answer dishonestly. Ask for a discount and if you don’t think it’s low enough tell them and go from there. Been to turkey a few times and I really CBA with the haggling there, tried a couple times, I offer something halfway between the stupidly overinflated marked price and a realistic price that I know they will accept if I stand around for ages haggling, if they refuse that (as they often do) I walk away, too much hassle when I’m on my hols.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Gissadiscountmate’ is closed to new replies.