Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • gisburn forest-any good?
  • kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Planning on travelling over to Gisburn forest from York today. Worth the journey?

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s nice enough but I wouldn’t travel that far to ride there tbh.

robhughes
    Free Member

Boring.Not my cup of tee.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Hmmm. Thanks for the info folks. Might give it a miss this time.

scaled
    Free Member

Just to mix the responses up, I rather like it, probably my favourite trail centre type place.

Leap of faith is cracking and the rest is all nice and flowy with occasional techy bits. Last time I was there was for the pmba enduro and they’d cut some new lines through the trees which were hilarious.

The climbing isn’t all fire roads, which is nice.

chakaping
    Free Member

I agree, it’s a nice ride – but he’s talking about a two hour drive each way for it?

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Aggh now I’m torn! How’s it compare with Dalby as that’s where I’m likely to end up otherwise.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Boring? Nice enough? If you’re a regular Whistler visitor than I guess it would be.

It was voted the best trail centre in the UK.

A lot harder than Dalby but shorter. Have a look on youtube for ‘hope line gisburn’ ‘hully gully gisburn’.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

That’s exactly why I’m not sure Chapaking! Its a fair trek. Don’t fancy a natural ride, so its going to have to be a trail centre of some description.

chakaping
    Free Member

Way better than Dalby IMO.

If you’ve got to ride a trail centre, give it a go and do two laps to make it worth the journey.

Drac

I thought Gisburn was only about 50 miles form York?

Never been myself but 50 miles isn’t that far to go if you make day of it, couple of loops, bar meal and steady run home.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Cheers for all the info folks. Might chance it and have a bash. Google reckons an hour and a half from York so not horrifically far.

Bregante

Its only OK.

But its WAY better than Dalby in my opinion.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Bet you could do it in 1hr half.

Edit…ah see above you can

Drac

Cheers for all the info folks. Might chance it and have a bash. Google reckons an hour and a half from York so not horrifically far.

So about an hour then. 🙂

discoduck
    Free Member

I also think its boring, and lacks Flow. Its one of the only places in the country which I really don’t like.

For a trail centre, which has a trail and no centre ? It’s lacking,
    The terrain is pretty rugged, this is what makes it stuttery as its kind of man made but not sculptured and it’s not natural either. None of the descends are long enough to permit any flow and just when you think you are getting on a bit it stops.

I don’t think its difficult* it’s certainly not as hard as Dalby but then that’s not sparkling either.

From York Gisburn is a bastard place to get to. But then that’s why you have done Dalby to death.
    instead of driving to Gisburn I’d do Wharncliffe or the Peaks.
    Admittedly Wharny isn’t that long or flowy but at least it will make your Granny’s T towel holder pucker up and the peaks, if that doesent do it for you nothing will, that descent off the back of Winn Hill to the Steps and down, better than any descent in any trail centre,

sandwicheater

It’s a good way to spend a few hours. Some nice stuff off the trail. Couple of laps and a few descents of the Hope line and you’ll be grinning all day.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Hully Gully vids look good!

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Yeah shouldn’t be too bad. My bike transport is a Renaultsport Megane….. :mrgreen:

cruzcampo
    Free Member

This guy thinks its orgasmic …

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbUFuHfYVts[/video]

unklehomered
    Free Member

Its only an hour for me from home, and I do it a few times a year. If you park up at the village of Tosside there is a cafe, and you can ride in to the intersection of the figure 8. So you riding, go down the hope line, do the bottom loop, the top loop, the bottom again (homebaked twice, why wouldn’t you?) then back at the intersection at the bottom of the hope, go straight on but bare left and back to tosside for cake, and if you lucky and pub is open, BEER!

Coming from york, make a day of it, combine with Stainburn.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Good info ta. That video is funny too!

Drac

Yeah shouldn’t be too bad. My bike transport is a Renaultsport Megane…..

My deepest sympathies.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Why’s that then?!

Drac

I’m just joking.

That video is classic. His comments had me creased.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Haha no worries. I thought he sounded Like Fred Dibnah riding a mountain bike.

Drac

Fred Dibnah on the nest.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Hully Gully doesn’t really look like that anymore tbh…

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Oh? How come?

cruzcampo
    Free Member

unklehomered – Member
    Hully Gully doesn’t really look like that anymore tbh…

Less loose pebble action on the edges?

Drac

Less giddy aunts.

Simon

As trail centres go Gisburn isn’t my favourite but it has some really great bits of trail, the best being the volunteer built stuff.

It’s a nice day go and give it a try.

It’s probably best to park at the new car park as it gets busy by the pub at Tosside.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Gisburn is fantastic. If you enjoy Dalby, the you’ll like it there…..

They’ve done a lot of work on it over the last few months, I guarantee you’ll have fun

& I’ve yet to see anywhere get a ‘100% in favour’ vote on here

damascus
    Free Member

I like gisburn. I tend to ride it when the weather is bad as a lot of it is in forest so you get some cover for some of the ride. It’s usually quieter too.

I found hully gully a Bit worse for wear last time but still great fun.

Its worth a ride to make up your own mind especially if you are only in York.

ricky1
    Free Member

It’s better than not going for a ride or going for your local “everyday ride” in your area.
    I like Gisburn it’s ok,I’ve heard some people say it’s “to flat” for them but I think they just like to think they are an alps machine.
    Hully gully should be downgraded to a red line though as it’s not to scary ( that’s me sounding like an alps machine)

unklehomered
    Free Member

Oh I think it’s still severe enough to be marked as black, compared to the rest of the trail. In answer to above query that vid is new trail, its got totally bombed and been repaired a few times since then. In fact now its seems to have settled down to a good, rough, bit more natural feel and is riding really well.

I love homebaked. I just **** adore it SO MUCH. Other bits are good and bad, but its better than much stuff, doesn’t feel too trail centrey.

chudsy
    Free Member

I quite like Gisburn, seems to be continued development and improvement. The Hub car park has a new toilet block and a cafe open fri-sun. It is easy to re do sections by looping back on fire roads and spend most of a morning or afternoon there or go for a quick lap in an evening. If your travelling a decent distance then make the most of it and do 2 laps with a coffee and cake stop.

RustyNissanPrairie

No flow, Hully Gully is kackered with a sheep line through it and braking bumps before the interesting bits.
    Hope line is good fun though and the best bit about the place.

Would rather go North Wales though as the roads to get to Gisburn are a nightmare in a LWB van.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘gisburn forest-any good?’ is closed to new replies.