• This topic has 25 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by devash.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Giro Source MIPS Helmet review
  • Ben_Haworth

The Giro Source MIPS helmets should definitely be at the top of your try-on list. It’s one of few helmets that I’m not in a rush to remove.

By ben_haworth

Get the full story on our front page at:

Giro Source MIPS Helmet review

We need your support – Find out how you can help by clicking the link below.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Love mine but i cant find any replacement pads anywhere!

cannondalem500

Bought one in the Evans sale last year for £35 and I’ve found it really comfortable. The only issue I’ve had is the Cool Fit pad acts like a sponge on your forehead. That’s fine apart from on the downhills where the airflow blows all of the sweat back down your face. I don’t have the same problem with my Fox helmet as the pads aren’t as padded.

devash
    Free Member

I have the black / grey fade one. Comfiest helmet I’ve ever owned. Doesn’t seem to play too well with sunglasses though due to the style of the rear retention mechanism, but I just about manage with it.

Fat-boy-fat

+1 for not being able to get replacement pads. The front pad has disintegrated. Sweaty Betty me.

iainc

tempted, but not being able to replace pads seems pretty poor….

iainc

@Ben_Haworth – I am confused by this review, you are saying it’s a great lid, yet it appears that replacement pads are not available, and the supplied ones, which soak up the sweat really well, are not replaceable. So that effectively makes it a great helmet till the pads die, and then it’s no use at all 🙁

Reminds me of the woes of the Giro Montaro helmet of a few years back – I had one and eventually binned it as the pads fell apart after a few rides, every time.

Maybe worth updating the review to say it is a comfy lid, but very poor value as it becomes useless in a rather finite period ?

BillOddie

To balance i bought a Source helmet in July last year and the pads have been fine.

It has been sweated in A LOT!  I don’t put them in the washing machine though just the occasional rinse in the sink with a bit of soap.

Ben_Haworth

FYI I’ve asked Giro UK for some info as to the lack of availability of spare pads (they do theoretically exist but I guess they always just show as ‘out of stock’ yeah?) FWIW the pads in my test helmet are still good as new but YMMV init.

jam-bo

I’m still on my original montaro pads…

iainc

^^^ thanks all, I may order one after all 🙂

Fat-boy-fat

I’ll be interested to hear the answer from Giro. Spare pads aren’t listed on their Web store. I like my Source and want to keep using it. It is a nice bright red and most “good” new helmets seem to be in dull colours at the moment, plus it is comfy, light and gives good overall head coverage.

iainc

I’ve asked Giro UK for some info as to the lack of availability of spare pads (they do theoretically exist but I guess they always just show as ‘out of stock’ yeah?)

I’ll be interested to hear the answer from Giro. Spare pads aren’t listed on their Web store.

indeed, I’ll leave my helmet order on my basket till I hear back @Ben_Haworth 🙂

devash
    Free Member

I got the impression a while back that the Source was being discontinued, hence the lack of pads anywhere? That’s why they’ve been heavily discounted over the past few months.

Hope I’m proved wrong though.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Glad i commented now. It would be good to get a response from Giro @Ben_Haworth

To be fair mine have lasted pretty well, 18 months and a lot of riding in that time before the corner of the main pad started to split a bit.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

@Iainc REF the pads – i had original montaro that disintegrated pads all the time!

i took a punt on one in a sale last year as its best sweat management helmet and comfiest ive owned by far ( a white one with a 21MY on it) and the pads have been absolutely fine, they are still brilliant at soaking up sweat and have washed them pretty much every ride! they are still like new

the days of the pads disintegrating (at least on the montaro) are long gone!

For a similar sort of helmet, the Fox Speedframe Pro seems to be discounted to £89 all over the place at the moment. Love mine, but the pads are quite thin.

iainc

@oscillatewildly – yes I think I recall some chat on the Montaro threads a while back ! I tried a Source MIPS on the other day and it felt very similar to my Montaro of a few years back, extremely comfy. There are available from around £80 upwards so very tempting, though a bit of pad concern !

iainc

Ben_Haworth
    FYI I’ve asked Giro UK for some info as to the lack of availability of spare pads (they do theoretically exist but I guess they always just show as ‘out of stock’ yeah?) FWIW the pads in my test helmet are still good as new but YMMV init.

Posted 6 days ago
    REPLY | REPORT

Hi @Ben_Haworth – did they come back to you ?

Ben_Haworth

Am still awaiting an update from Giro’s Brand Manager, will come back to you ASAP hopefully. Have re-poked.

iainc

many thanks

Ben_Haworth

Here goes then: “Unfortunately, the order cycles post Supply Chain Crisis have not been favourable and consequently we don’t have stock.

“The Small/Medium will be available in the UK on giro.co.uk within 4 weeks, though sadly we may have to wait 90 days for the Large/Extra Large.  We will endeavour to get some sooner.” – Mr Giro UK.

iainc

^^^^ aha, good to know, very much appreciated, I’ll confirm my order for the lid in a medium then 🙂

Burchy1
    Free Member

Cheers @Ben_Haworth at least they are trying to supply them..

Fat-boy-fat

Ah well. 90 days with fecked pads it is then.

devash
    Free Member

@Ben_Haworth thanks for checking for us. Good news that they’re still making them.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.