Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Giant Anthem Advanced Pro 29 Gets New Suspension Technology
  • stwhannah

Giant’s new Anthem Advanced Pro 29 gets a lighter frameset, new rear suspension system and modified geometry to make it a bike for those wanting a com …

By stwhannah

Get the full story on our front page at:

Giant Anthem Advanced Pro 29 Gets New Suspension Technology

Support us and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

keithb

Looks a lot like the old Giant VT Suspension, from before the anthem/trance/reign range…

Less pivots and parts, cheaper to manufacture for almost all the performance? Not that I’m a cynic…

Edit: ok so actually having gone and looked at some images of the VT it looks totally different, with an upside down shock, but the fact remains that giant have gone back to a design they last used nearly 20 years ago.  Why?  It’s not like 1x drivetrains are a new thing to drive that change.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

lighter, cheaper to produce, less bearings to service and i guess flexy carbon was less easy to engineer 20 years ago? It’s now really similar to virtually every other top-flight XC race bike, in that it’s a flex-stay single pivot (Spesh, Scott (?), BMC, NS, C’dale etc)

not sure what this new suspension technology is though…?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Is the seat post still 27.**** 2 with a stupid fiddly slanted allen bolt to adjust?

dickie
    Free Member

£5k for Deore/SLX mix!!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Read the article you lazy toad! 30.9 😎

keithb

Yeti were using carbon flexi stays in the mid 2000’s, and the Scott Endorphin from the late 90’s was basically a soft-tail utilising the capacity to build in flex to a carbon frame, before even disc brakes became standard on MTB’s!  I think it was the Disc Brake revolution that killed the endorphin off..

So from what’s written above, Giant are massively behind the curve on current XC race bike tech, and selling 25year old ideas as new tech…

God I sound grumpy today…

devash
    Free Member

As long as the suspension rides as similarly as possible to Maestro then I don’t see a problem with the design. The linkage / bearings that the flexstays do away with are the most problematic on the Maestro design and always seize up first when riding regularly in the wet and slop.

Proper seatpost size and dropper routing is a huge plus and the lack of severely restricted the previous gen Anthem 29.

The geo looks a bit “playing it safe” but that’s typical Giant. Not necessarily a bad thing for many riders.

Again, it will all come down to how that new suspension design rides, because the biggest selling point of Giant, for me at least, is their magic carpet-like Maestro.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I had a maestro 29er Anthem a number of years ago – it’s pretty high on my ‘bikes I wish I hadn’t sold list’ Suspension system was great.

Clink

I was waiting for this, but hoping for a cheaper alu bike, as outgoing model. Any news on alu models in the future?

Northwind

shortbread_fanylion

Read the article you lazy toad! 30.9 😎

FFS, I thought even specialized had stopped using 30.9?

devash
    Free Member

I was waiting for this, but hoping for a cheaper alu bike, as outgoing model. Any news on alu models in the future?

No alu models apparently due to the suspension (carbon flex stays).

maccruiskeen

and the Scott Endorphin from the late 90’s was basically a soft-tail utilising the capacity to build in flex to a carbon frame

Vertically stiff and laterally compliant 🙂 I don’t thing you could honestly say you could sense any ‘suspension’ benefit from the rear stays but its ability to swing the BB side to side as you pedalled made cycling up hill fell a little bit like waking on a slack line. Starting off on a steep climb was a bit like trying to get into a hammock 🙂

Clink

That’s a shame, Kona seem to manage it wit the Hei Hei several years ago.

the00
    Free Member

The Maestro Anthem was a great bike.

This new one uses a simple and commonly used suspension setup that is lightweight. I’m sure it’ll be great too.

voodoo-rich

Ally front end with a carbon rear (for the flex) would be good to see – marginally cheaper?

Speeder

Northwind

FFS, I thought even specialized had stopped using 30.9?

What’s wrong with 30.9mm?

IdleJon

and the Scott Endorphin from the late 90’s was basically a soft-tail utilising the capacity to build in flex to a carbon frame

Vertically stiff and laterally compliant 🙂 I don’t thing you could honestly say you could sense any ‘suspension’ benefit from the rear stays but its ability to swing the BB side to side as you pedalled made cycling up hill fell a little bit like waking on a slack line. Starting off on a steep climb was a bit like trying to get into a hammock 🙂

That was my experience as a 76kg XC racer as well. I could see the BB move, and use the rear brakes with my hips! Looked lovely, was horrible to ride. (I think a friend may still have one in the dark recesses of his garage- I must ask him.)

rickon
    Free Member

For the same spec Orbea Oiz M10 – it’s £4,500 vs. £7,000 for the Anthem. The only differece is the carbon rims on the Anthem – however the DT Swiss rims on the Oiz will be pretty much as light, and more durable.

Plus, the Oiz looks way nicer.

Giant is a mass-produced bike – it should be cheaper than a more boutique brand.

That’s a hard pass at £7k for an XT build.

bigrich

orbea is a mass produced bike made in the same factory. boutique is a meaningless term

BearBack
    Free Member

I think Orbea have won more XCO’s recently too

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

The £7k giant has Live Valve…

BearBack
    Free Member

[blockquote]

That’s a shame, Kona seem to manage it wit the Hei Hei several years ago.
    [/blockquote]

Scott also doing alloy flex stays on the current and last gen Spark.
    I guess Giant will leave it to the Stance for the more pricepoint builds?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Giant Anthem Advanced Pro 29 Gets New Suspension Technology’ is closed to new replies.