Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Getting sealant off frame tubes
  • crazy-legs

I’ve got my CX bike in bits, complete strip down due to various servicing requirements. And I’m cleaning the frame up to put it all back together.

Up around the top of the seat-tube/top tube junction and also all round the BB area, there’s a whole load of dried sealant from a tubeless puncture that took forever to seal and has sprayed everywhere, little dark dried on flecks.

First hit on searching “getting dried sealant off frame tubes” is this fine video:

Nothing works. So far I’ve tried scouring pads, antiseptic cleaning wipes and tissue with methanol, windscreen washer fluid, Hope Shit Shifter, washing up liquid, hot water… Nothing is touching it. So over to the forum – what have you tried that actually works? Even attacking it with a screwdriver isn’t having much effect, it’s not solid enough to peel off.

The sealant is that Muc-Off No Punctures liquid stuff. The stuff that proudly claims to wash away with water. It doesn’t. Or at least, it doesn’t once it’s dried onto a frame.

simondbarnes

Fire

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Hairdryer?

DezB
    Free Member

My Tripster has had the old jizz treatment a couple of times and I’ve just used wet wipes or, if had them, stainless steel wipes.
    Maybe Ti is easier to clean.

oreetmon
    Free Member

Badge of honour.

scotroutes

Just paint more on and use it as frame protector.

ginkster

Maybe try Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover. It’s the stuff Invisiframe recommend for cleaning the frame before applying their film. It seems to shift most stuff like dried on bugs and tar so will hopefully do sealant too. Won’t damage paint either!

rone

Yes nightmare.

I normally am just persistent with hot water and liquid.

But. Muc off make a new sticky label remover – I’m pretty sure that should work.

“Muc-off Glue remover.” They must’ve developed it because their sealant is awful.

jimdubleyou

I’ve got some of those wonder wipes in the garage. That seamed to do the trick with Orange Seal.

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Petrol?

hols2
    Free Member

Just paint more on and use it as frame protector.

This is good advice. The real problem is getting the latex stripe off the back of your shorts. Attracts attention from the wrong sort of people down the pub.

jonba
    Free Member

I’d be really (really) careful about trying solvents like petrol, methanol etc. as they are as likely to damage the paint as remove the latex. Try it somewhere discrete first. It will take the gloss off and dull the surface before it attacks the paint so look out for that.

Can you scrape it off. I’ve used a soft plastic before. Something like a tyre lever. If you have one then a hard eraser should work or enamel rubber (careful on the paint again).

Elbow grease is your best bet. You want something that will have a little bit of abrasiveness to it. I tend to rub hard with a coarse rag, something like a heavy cotton from an old pare of jeans would work.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Autobrite Tardis or the Autofiness Oblitarate. Designed for the purpose and doesn’t damage paint.
    I use the latter, £9 or so and will have other uses around the house/car.

crazy-legs

Update: AutoGlym Intensive Tar Remover and a LOT of elbow grease has got the worst of it off. Certainly not all of it although some of it is right up in the seat/top tube join, difficult to get a cloth into with any amount of pressure.

It’s taken several applications to get this far.

The problem was that the puncture was mid-ride, the ride was wet and gritty anyway so what was left on the frame was mud, grit, sealant and it’s all just sort of solidified.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Getting sealant off frame tubes’ is closed to new replies.