Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Getting my HTC Desire to speak to my laptop – wits' end content…..
  • user-removed
    Free Member

When I used a Blackberry, I’d plug it in, open the sync software and my calendar was immediately synced both ways (Outlook calendar).

Now I have an HTC and the calendar won’t sync (probably because I have a very old version of Outlook?!). It worked for a few weeks, then HTC sync updated itself and that was the end of trouble free calendar syncing.

So, someone on an android forum advised me to use a Google calendar. Tried that – signed up for numerous versions of Gmail and Googlemail, still no joy. Someone else recommeded a program called explore my phone (or somesuch). Not only did this not work, it also automatically installed IE9 onto the laptop causing it to bleed its innards from its USB ports.

Now I’m back at stage one. Is there a reliable way for me to transfer a calendar from my phone to my laptop and back? Please?! Should it be this hard?

spence
    Free Member

I found after the Sync update a few weeks back I had to set everything up again, ie name the devices and all the Sync (Calendar) options. A bit of a pain but easier enough and its worked since.

user-removed
    Free Member

Yup. Had to do that too but still not working. Perhaps I just need to buy a newer version of Outlook…. I’d far rather use a Google calendar though – I’m not entirely thick when it comes to computer stuff and really can’t understand why I’m having such difficulty in setting it up.

Cougar

I use a program called Gsyncit to transfer between outlook and google, and then the phone syncs with google over the air.

I use Gsyncit because it has features that I specifically needed; for a single calendar, Google’s own sync tool should be fine.

I’ve no experiences of HTC Sync, and I’m not seeing any compelling reason to change that. “Plugging it in” is very 20th Century.

user-removed
    Free Member

Thanks Cougar – will go and have a look at Gsyncit – does it matter if I have, or am signed into or out of any of my many Gmail / Googlemail accounts?

Cougar

If you want to use Google Calendar instead of Outlook, it should be easy. Just sign into your Google account in Settings / Accounts on your phone.

You might find that if one is gmail and the other googlemail that it messes up – it used to be issue right back when they first implemented googlemail, but I’ve always steadfastly ignored the googlemail domain as a crime against humanity and never had a problem with it.

Cougar

Signed in or out shouldn’t matter either way, as the sync tools do the logging in.

For Outlook <–> Google, have a look here first.

I wonder if your multiple accounts is what’s causing confusion. Do you need more than one?

user-removed
    Free Member

Righto, thanks again. What I’d really like to do is just start afresh and do away with Outlook altogether – I don’t use it for anything else other than its calendar.

Just before I do anything else stupid – Gsyncit wants $20 to continue – is that right?

My phone tells me it’s syncing with my google calendar but when it finishes, the (google) calendar is still blank.

user-removed
    Free Member

As above – my version of Outlook is too old to sync with Google… That Gsyncit prog has installed fine but I can’t find any options to tell it where, what and how to sync. It says it’s synced, but I’ve no idea what it’s synced and where it’s put the synced info 🙁

Phone / laptop / hammer interface imminent.

aidso
    Free Member

If you go to Settings > Accounts & Sync > Manage Accounts and click on the GMail one, do you have an option to “Sync Calender”?

Cougar

Just before I do anything else stupid – Gsyncit wants $20 to continue – is that right?

There’s a free version, which adds a nag screen dialogue when you load it, and a few other restrictions. I bought it; you shouldn’t need to for what you’re doing.

I can’t find any options to tell it where, what and how to sync.

It adds a small toolbar (two buttons) into Outlook.

If you go to Settings > Accounts & Sync > Manage Accounts and click on the GMail one, do you have an option to “Sync Calender”?

If you’re not bothered about the data in Outlook, I’d be concentrating here. Set up a google account on your phone, check that it’s syncing using test data.

user-removed
    Free Member

aidso – Member

No. Just sync contacts and sync Gmail. If I go to my Googlemail account, the option is there to sync my calendar, but it spins for a few minutes and my Googlemail calendar remains resolutely blank. Just been trying to import the calendar (Googlemail, on the laptop) but can’t.

Thanks for trying to help – it’s a fekkin nuisance but will just have to rely on using the calendar on the phone, or go back to using the Blackberry 🙁

EDIT! Right – got one way sync running (laptop to phone) so I suppose I’m half way there…. Can’t find anything in the google calendar settings to allow a two way sync yet… It must be there somewhere, right?!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Getting my HTC Desire to speak to my laptop – wits' end content…..’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM