Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Genesis Croix De Fer?
  • chrism_uk
    Free Member

Just wondering if anyone has a Genesis Croix De Fer and was wondering what your experiences with it are?
    Looking for a road bike and have all but settled on a Giant Defy 2 but kinda wondering if I would be better with something a bit more "rugged" seen the Croix De Fer in my local bike shop and thought it looked really good, especially with the Disc Brakes and nice spec, just wondering if anyone has one and any comments on it? Wondering how it performs on road and how far a distance one would cycle on it?

MrOvershoot

Got one on the CycleScheme last year. I like it, not light and quite relaxed in handling but its all day ridable.

Will fill in more tomorrow but I'm knackered so going to bed

GaryLake
    Free Member

Currently got one in on test – it's pretty fab – a bit wrong but so much fun. Though in all honesty it's way too heavy to be a road bike at 25.5lbs. Unless you want to genuinely mix it up and go off the beaten track a little get a road bike.

I've been tagging along on club MTB rides on it though and it's proper fun if a little brutal!

chrism_uk
    Free Member

Cheers guys, it does sound like it may be too heavy for me, I had thought it might be better than a standard roadie with the state of the roads around here and its ability to carry luggage could be good for some touring but I really want something I can ride fairly long distance 70km+ so the weight puts me off a little.

MrOvershoot

As I said it isn't light then neither am I, but I do have a light road bike as well.
    Filthy's Giant looks nice

chrism_uk
    Free Member

That TCX does look nice, I didn't realise Giant did a cyclocross, quick query on the CDF, would it carry luggage?

GaryLake
    Free Member

It would need a bit of bodge to take luggage I reckon. It's got the rack mounts but the disc brake is a complication…

I'll email James at Genesis…

speshstumpyworks
    Free Member

Hi Chrism,
    I also looked at the Iron Cross from Genesis but settled on a Kona Honky Inc.
    More road than cross with disc and rack mounts etc and Shimano 105 groupset.
    Purchased from Abbey Cycles in Liverpool for £880 all up. Better value than the Genesis and rides like a dream.
    I had not ridden a roadie type frame for 20 years and wanted to get really fit for trekking Kili in June.
    The only thing I changed was the saddle as the OEM one could bat nails into oak it was that unforgiving and the steel frame is also comfier than any alu frame ever could be.
    All round quality of components are great with 28mm tyres instead of the usual 23/25mm super skinny road version and not so chunky as the cross 32mm types on the Croix De Fer.
    I am doing a four day epic around the western isles in the third week in June and I am sure I have the right tool for the job as we are easily doing 50-60 mile without any pain.
    Check it out here
    http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=honkyinc

Cheers
    Cameron

chrism_uk
    Free Member

Cheers for the suggestions guys, tbh I think it looks like I almost need 2 bikes, or 3 or 4 lol.

I think I will go for the Defy just now I can fit a rack to it to carry as much as I need for now, commmutting to work or enough for overnight.

But I do think I will look into getting something a bit more rugged later on, maybe even build it up, as I do fancy doing a bit of cycle touring.

mr_stru

I've got one and I'd agree with the heavy for a road bike sentiment. I'm not sure it's a great out and out cross bike either as the clearances are a bit tight. And you'd need a disc compatible rack to carry luggage.

That said it's pretty versatile, surprisingly capable off road and good fun. I've not touched my road bike since I got it.

Mister-P
    Free Member

A Blackburn disc pannier rack should fit on there if you want to carry luggage.

chrism_uk
    Free Member

I take a look at the Kona Honky Inc its lighter and not all that much heavier than the Defy, that said its £1100 which is over the Cycle 2 Work limit sadly.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Croix De Fer?’ is closed to new replies.