• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Amos.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • General pace
  • steveo48
    Free Member

Hi all,
    While being still a bit new to the mtb thing after a long time away, I been mostly riding bridleways, the odd trail centre ie Swinley Forest, Woburn. I started riding again to shed some pounds and to become fitter. Anyways what kinda pace should I be riding and what’s everybody elses speed when riding? I’ll generally be at 10-15mph cross country. Is this a bit slow to make any gains.
    Ta
    Steveo.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Ride at a pace where you could just keep a conversation going. Forget about speed.

giantjason
    Free Member

i average around 10mph off-road over a year but that varies between slow rides in the winter mud and fast summer evening sprints.

however i do use riding as a socil event and tend to pottle along at a slow ish pace

steveo48
    Free Member

So it’s not all that bad of a pace, went out with some guys that were so much faster than me, so wondered if I really was too slow.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

May be that they were just showing off? – don’t get intimidated by it, ride at your own pace.

For what it’s worth your speed sounds about right for an average speed off road in mixed conditions. Relax and enjoy yourself!

OmarLittle
    Free Member

it is very terrain and condition dependent but i dont get close to 15mph for cross country and trail centre riding like glentress etc – more like 8 or 9mph

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I was lucky to make 7mph in the mud last weekend!

loddrik
    Free Member

OP – Did you always try to play better whilst playing football at school when girls were watching..?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

You make it sound like that was a bad thing?

loddrik
    Free Member

I did try but I don’t think it made me play any better, the girls certainly didn’t notice.. 🙁

BoardinBob

10-15mph average off road is very, very fast. You’re either very fit or you live in Holland

spacemonkey

Depends how long you’re riding for.

IMO 10-12 mph for 1 hour is slow. 13-15mph for 3-4 hours is quick.

We all ride differently but there’s no harm (usually) in trying to reach our optimum speed etc. Obviously things like tyres and FS vs HT are going to make a difference to. But after a while you’ll figure it out.

Just enjoy it. And if you want to slower or faster then do it.

4ndyB
    Free Member

With my GPS thingymabob I have averaged ~7mph over several rides in varying conditions, length and terrain mostly winter rides though, a summer ride of 30 miles avg more like 8.5mph round Huddersfield area

I need to ride more!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Speed is a bit meaningless, too many other variables.

I’d say ride as hard as you can for some of your rides

oldgit
    Free Member

Speed is a bit meaningless, too many other variables

Indeed, but that’s pretty quick speaking as someone that rides Woburn a lot. Not far off winter road pace.

chakaping
    Free Member

10-15mph sounds alright to me, not that I’m very race/fitness orientated.

What I did want to add though is that fitness is only part of the equation – riders with more experience will probably be better at stuff like pumping, maualling, unweighting, picking a line etc.

All things that help you cover ground quicker and using less energy.

oldgit
    Free Member

Our club rides in Woburn and the fast group rides for 1 1/2 hours before joining the regular riders for the 1/2 hour ride back.
    It’s about 14 miles and takes the 2 hours. I don’t do much mtb racing, but that’ll put me 10th’ish in an open race or whatever they’re called when there’s no classes?

takisawa2

Tue night singlespeed ride on Cannock Chase, we typically cover 14miles in around 1hr 40mins. Mixed fire-road course, climbing from Rugeley, dropping into Sherbrook Valley & back again. Not sure how that compares, but there’s plenty faster than us. 🙂

Amos
    Free Member

Quicker than me!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘General pace’ is closed to new replies.