Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Gearing ratio's / set-ups??? (Dual / Single / road blocks / 10spd blocks)
  • Steveo

Got myself a Blur 4x and looking to change it from a traditional 27spd to something with better clearance.

My initial thought was a dual ring setup (22,36) with a 11;32 cassette.

However, I'm aware some people use road and 10spd cassettes combined with dual and single rings but know little about these set-ups.

Any advise on these set-ups would be greatly appreciated.

I will be using the bike for a bit of everything, from epic days out to sessioning play spots.

Many Thanks

njee20
    Free Member

Road cassettes have narrower spreads, but closer gaps. Doesn't really achieve much unless you're racing DH and want the smaller gaps.

22/36 with an 11-34 cassette would give you a good spread and will cover most the ratios achieved with a 22/32/44 and an 11-32, save the top 1 or 2.

hilldodger
    Free Member

22/36 11-34 for 'the win' apparently 😉

Only sure way is for you to make am mental note of what gear combinations you use and those you feel you could manage without – it's your bike, legs and hills after all.

I really like a close spread cassette(used to use Ultegra but now slx) over the extra 'codger cogs', it allows me to keep a more constant cadence with far smoother changes

I've never found any problems with 22/36 11-28, but am really not a 'sit back and spin' rider preferring power over finnesse I s'pose

njee20
    Free Member

Whilst I'd sooner have bigger rings and a wider cassette, avoiding the need to shift on the front so much, which in a race situation wastes time. I find the terrain changes far too much/quickly to be concerned about having a close ratio cassette. I did try a road block for a while, but just got irritated with having to drop onto the granny.

It's all personal.

hilldodger
    Free Member

It's all personal.

I fully agree, that's why it's best to work out your own preferred ratios and gear your bike to suit you, not some twunt on the internet 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

22/36 11-34 for 'the win' apparently

Less chainstay clearance than a std set-up though.

EDIT I guess he is talking about gound clearance though.

Steveo

Cheers for you help.

Guess I am still thinking of a 36/22 with a 32-11 cassette then.

firestarter
    Free Member

ive just set mine up with a 22/36 and 11-32 cassette. not tried it yet as im still injured but i was bored lol

Joxster
    Free Member

I run 24/36 with a 12-25 cassette, I did go to a 27 for the Alps

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Gearing ratio's / set-ups??? (Dual / Single / road blocks / 10spd blocks)’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM