Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Gear cable ferrules making annoying cracking noises Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!
  • Dimmadan
    Free Member

I have put up with the noise for 4 rides and after 8 hours of ignoring it I have had enough.

My EX8 has done 650 miles and is spotlessly clean, gets treated like a princess and never gets pressure washed. Over the last 4 rides it has started to make a creaking/cracking noise. At first I thought it was the rear shock pivot and bushings going dry but no they are fine.

I then thought it was the rear swing arm bearings but after removing the rear shock and then moving the rear up and down the noise does not seem to be there.
    When I put the shock back on it starts again.

It appears to be the gear cable ferrules in there mounts on the frame only clicking when the frame makes a certain movement.

I have cleaned, degreased and re-lubricated the outer of the ferrules without removing them (takes a while to remove and re thread the rear gear cable) but they are still making the noise.

Is this a simple case of ripping them out and fitting new outers with ferrules? Or does anyone have a trick I can use?

I am now starting to wonder if it could be the RP2?

Cheers

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Spot of grease on the ferrules should sort that.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I put some silicone mastic in mine (in the stops) before – also dont use metal ones!

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Tried grease and they are plastic ones.

Put some GT85 on them first then a good wack of teflon grease.

foxyrider
    Free Member

try some silicone mastic – it is flexible and both glues them together but separates them with the thin layer of silicone? Did that on my rear swinarm on my Orange Five to stop cable clatter as well 🙂

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Will try and find somewhere that sells it.

Any ideas?

foxyrider
    Free Member

just used kitchen/bathroom stuff – you can get different colurs – just DIY store or B&Q – if it doesn't work for you you can just scrape it off? It does stick like buggery when dry though so don't use too much 🙂

knott4me
    Free Member

insulation tape is the only permanat cure oil is good but only temp

Onzadog
    Free Member

ptfe plumbing tape does the trick.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

You might have a broken strand on the cable inner. Tends to happen in the loops by the bars. It's just an annoyance. Ignore it and pay attention to your line!

Dimmadan
    Free Member

I have some PTFE tape so may give that a go. Only trouble is getting it around the ferrule without removing the cable.

knott4me
    Free Member

put the front gears on the bog ring and rear gears in the big ring.
    without pedaling click the sifters down this will allow enough slack on the inners so you can the remone the cables completely from the bike.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Gear cable ferrules making annoying cracking noises Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM