Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Garmin touch models and physical buttons in a pocket
  • deadkenny
    Free Member

Looking at something like a Garmin 510, basically for tracking purposes. I don’t need navigation as don’t often need that and I can easily fire up ViewRanger on the phone or use a paper map if lost.

The 510 has caught my eye mainly because it uses the russian satellites as well as the US ones and claims far better accuracy particularly in tree cover, and additionally has the bluetooth hook up to the phone which could be useful if I’m not near a computer to sync up. Though debating the 500 or even the 800 which is similar price now to the 510, though I really don’t need the mapping, and the 500(and 800?) lacks the extra accuracy and one reason for getting a Garmin at all is improved accuracy compared to my phone (though battery life is also key).

Anyway, one thing from experience with GPS on phones, is as I put the thing in a pocket or backpack, often squashed in there with other things, the screen lock is essential. Reading reviews on the 510, it has a screen lock but it also says the two physical buttons are not locked. One of these is the Start/Stop button !

Is this a problem, or is the button hard to be pushed in or could be locked somehow? I don’t want to ride off and find something has stopped the tracking by knocking the button.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Few things…

I got the missus a 500 2 christmas’s ago, it was good to start but had been unreliable and had a nasty habit of straight lining routes.

I have the 810 and after “losing” hers she has the 800. The lock screen is good, but as for lobbing in a bag never done it. First it messes up the signal/reception if you bury it. Second the mounts are good (for most situations) the rubber band ones don’t work well on my bars but do on most. I have a SRAM fixed mount out front, mount on the stem on the road bike and the missus has hers on the bars on her bike.
    So no real reason for not mounting it.

Also used the bluetooth exactly once in a year.

scotroutes

In general, you don’t want the GPS in your pocket. Your body will hide the GPS signal. Stick it on your bars or stem.

nemesis
    Free Member

I have a 605 so not touch screen but it has the buttons. I’ve done rides with it in my pocket and it’s never been stopped accidentally. YMMV of course..

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’ve been using my phone with GPS in pocket for years and never had an issue with the signal. Would be odd if Garmin can’t cope with a bit of fabric. Though I usually keep it in the top pocket of my backpack these days, so it’s not near the body either. Not that being near flesh should interfere with the signal either.

I don’t like bar mounting. Aside from risk of damage in a smash, it doesn’t fit the ride style. If I was doing a load of xc and wearing lycra obsessing about my fitness perhaps 😛 . But seriously, I just don’t need to be looking at it, just set to track and off I go, and it’s extra clutter on the bars really.

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t like bar mounting. Aside from risk of damage in a smash, it doesn’t fit the ride style

No, you’re right, shreddin teh Swinley gnat just isn’t cool with a Garmin on the stem. I’m just gonna leave this here: 🙄

If you’re tossing it in a bag, don’t buy a Garmin, just buy a decent quality tracker.

scotroutes

No, you’re right, shreddin teh Swinley gnat just isn’t cool with a Garmin on the stem. [/quote]C’mon. One of the most genuinely funny posts to appear on STW this year month week day past hour.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Swinley and gnar are two words that hardly go together 😆

And you can’t shred with those cobbles 😉 . Barely ridden the place over the last year anyway.

I’m actually looking for something that will last a whole day’s riding, particular for forthcoming alps trip. Navigation is not a requirement, just tracking, but my phone may not cope with a whole day, especially if I want to use the phone for a couple of other things.

What else than a Garmin though? Requirements are tracking, ease of upload, long battery life, and better accuracy than a phone.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I don’t like bar mounting. Aside from risk of damage in a smash, it doesn’t fit the ride style. If I was doing a load of xc and wearing lycra obsessing about my fitness perhaps

Baggies wearing, full face at times and it’s bar mounted. Landed on it 4-5 times so far and it’s been fine. If it’s in your pocket then it’s got equal chance of getting smashed.

sok

Yes – you can lock them. At least on the 800 you can. It’s worthwhile doing if you’re sticking it in your pocket and not on the bars. Whilst I’ve never switched it off in my pocket, I have added some interesting settings to it which have taken me a while to undo.

jam-bo

and better accuracy than a phone.

iPhone has used GLONASS since the 4S and will be just as accurate as a garmin.

Get a battery pack case for your phone to extend the life.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Not buying an iPhone, or anything from Apple.

But anyway, I’ve seen dubious tracks on Strava from iPhone users, even 4S and many posts about issues with accuracy. Plus there’s no barometer. Phones tend to have GPS chips tweaked for road navigation anyway which filters out small changes to ensure it doesn’t jump about nearby roads. Fine for roads, but not so good for twisty singletrack.

Thing with the phone is when stopped I use it for calls, texts, checking things and snapping photos, which drains the battery. GPS drains it heavily but I want the phone for emergencies.

deadkenny
    Free Member

sok – Member
    Yes – you can lock them. At least on the 800 you can. It’s worthwhile doing if you’re sticking it in your pocket and not on the bars.

Cheers, that’s what I need to know. Just would be interesting if the 510 can do the same.

p.s. with the GLONASS support, in theory the better satellite coverage and ability to handle lock in tree cover should also mean it’s got less of an issue in a pocket or bag. In theory.

sok

Yes, you can on the 510 too.
    http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/Edge_510_OM_EN.pdf
    page 12

atlaz
    Free Member

Just for posterity; as I said elsewhere, I rode in the alps last year with it in the pocket on my Osprey pack and it was fine. I do, however, have a bar-fly mount (basically like a reversed out-front mount) now and obviously that’s good.

deadkenny
    Free Member

sok – Member
    Yes, you can on the 510 too.
    http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/Edge_510_OM_EN.pdf
    page 12

Hmm, that’s locking the touchscreen. According to this (crazy in depth) review, it doesn’t lock the physical buttons – http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/01/garmin-edge-510-in-depth-review.html

Just concerned about the stop button getting knocked accidentally, but if it’s fairly tough to press which I’ve also read then it may be okay.

deadkenny
    Free Member

The more I read about the glonass benefits, the more I’m sold on the 510 though.

http://tomsbicycleblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/faceoff-garmin-edge-510-vs-garmin-edge.html

810 oddly doesn’t support it, though obviously has maps whereas the 510 doesn’t.

jam-bo

But anyway, I’ve seen dubious tracks on Strava from iPhone users, even 4S and many posts about issues with accuracy. Plus there’s no barometer. Phones tend to have GPS chips tweaked for road navigation anyway which filters out small changes to ensure it doesn’t jump about nearby roads. Fine for roads, but not so good for twisty singletrack.

I used the iphone as an example, most modern smartphones will support GLONASS. I think you are pinning too much on it though, it really doesn’t make that much difference.

Jamie
    Free Member

Ooooo-k then.

njee20
    Free Member

Swinley and gnar are two words that hardly go together

That was my point.

And you can’t shred with those cobbles . Barely ridden the place over the last year anyway.

You rode there last Wednesday, and the Thursday before (even though the app died), and on the 18th May. Not really “barely” #stravastalking

What about something like a Spot tracker? Can you upload from them?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Ha! 😀

Yeah, but otherwise think last time was last November 😉

njee20
    Free Member

FFS, don’t make me trawl that far back in your history 😉

You’re also still slower than me down a lot of the SH trails, despite your increased rad-ness and the fact I have a GPS on my stem, AND wear lycra!

Anyway, we digress. I’d seriously look at something like a Spot tracker – that can actually do ‘stuff’ that a Garmin won’t – otherwise it seems you’re paying a lot for things like a screen, and bluetooth connectivity that you really don’t want, and will rob battery life.

scotroutes

Spot trackers only send intermittent (default is 10 minute) positional updates. They do NOT provide the sort of detailed track information that a GPS provides.

deadkenny
    Free Member

You’re also still slower than me down a lot of the SH trails, despite your increased rad-ness and the fact I have a GPS on my stem, AND wear lycra!

It’s no competition. I’m more about hurling myself down the trails at my own pace and crashing, stopping for yacking, fettling and food 😀 . GPS just tracks my ability to do all that. Just want something separate from the phone with long battery life, and more accurate in terms of location, rather than performance factors, to match up trails, where I’ve been etc.

Looking at Spot Tracker, seems the intent is more for emergency use to keep family informed of location, then maybe you’re right, as given my ability to crash it’s a more useful feature 😆

Right, I’m pushing button on a 510 anyway.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Garmin touch models and physical buttons in a pocket’ is closed to new replies.