• This topic has 31 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Solo.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Garmin Edge mounts
  • Bez

Is there anyone out there using a Garmin Edge mount that they can categorically confirm will allow a USB cable to be inserted into an Edge 200 whilst mounted?

If so, what mount is it?

Ta

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Does plugging the USB in not stop it from operating?
    Not seen anything about though.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Does plugging the USB in not stop it from operating?

Not if you use the correct USB cable.

jimc101
    Free Member

Where are you mounting it? on a stem, using the supplied mount unless you can get a spacer, even with a angled mini-b plug, can’t see it fitting.

If on a handlebar (with the supplied mount), or using an extender mount, like Garmin Out-Front, SRAM Quickview, K-edge or 3D printed version, the USB port will be unobstructed, so no issues with connecting a cable.

bigG
    Free Member

I use the k edge mount, you’d be tight for space but might be able to squeeze the USB cable in. I have to ask why you’d want to though?

Bez

Where are you mounting it? on a stem, using the supplied mount unless you can get a spacer, even with a angled mini-b plug, can’t see it fitting.

No, nowhere near, either on the stem or the bar, hence the question – it’ll have to be one of the “out front” type ones. The K-Edge looks the best bet but just wanted to check with someone who’s actually got one before I lob the best part of £40 on it.

I use the k edge mount, you’d be tight for space but might be able to squeeze the USB cable in. I have to ask why you’d want to though?

Excellent – could you possibly check for me? It’d be really helpful. And it’s because I need to charge it whilst riding, for 24h+ rides.

Solo
    Free Member

Nearly all of the current crop of “out front” mounts for the Garmin edge are way over priced.

cept this one.

bigG
    Free Member

Solo, that may be cheap, but it’s awful looking. The K edge may be more expensive, but at least it doesn’t look like its been made by a collaborative group consisting of David Blunkett and Stevie Wonder

Solo
    Free Member

big_G.

If you’ve nothing to fill your days but dream about how beautiful your computer mount should be. Um….
    🙂

Here, let me:
    Solo, that may be cheap less expensive, but it’s awful very practical looking, baring in mind very little of it can be seen while riding 😉 . The K edge may be very much more expensive, but at least it doesn’t makes the owner look like its been made by a collaborative group consisting of David Blunkett and as wealthy as Stevie Wonder

FTFY
    🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have a RaceWare one and I’ve just checked and the USB connector probably wouldn’t fit but only just, so if you filed a tiny bit off it would work.

Solo
    Free Member

£29.99
    😯

[EDIT]

Plus £3.50 PnP
    😯 😆

reggiegasket
    Free Member

expensive, yes. But I have an unusual bar setup so he made me a one-off, which works well.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Intrigued as to why you’d want an USB cable inserted whilst it’s mounted…?

Solo
    Free Member

Intrigued as to why you’d want an USB cable inserted whilst it’s mounted…?

So how did you miss the explanaition by the OP ?
    😉

Thats a: Reading the thread.
    FAIL

mrblobby
    Free Member

😳

FuzzyWuzzy

As per his follow-up post – so you can plug in a piggy-back battery to extend it’s battery life for very long events (as he also mentioned, certain USB cables will allow use of the USB port without turning off the Garmin, the Garmin supplied one doesn’t though). I use a Bar Fly mount myself (yes it’s ugly and over-priced but was all that was available way back when I bought it :p ) and can’t see it allowing USB port use myself although I don’t have a 200 to test with

h4muf
    Free Member

Sram do a out front mount for £15!

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Yep SRAM

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just had a look at my 500 mounted on the Garmin out front and you can get to the USB port quite easily. I think the 200 is the same shape as the 500.

Edit: Just plugged an USB cable in with it mounted and it fits fine.

lazybike
    Free Member

Sram do a out front mount for £15

.. mine turned up from wiggle today £13.99. Tell a lie its .49 🙂

Bez

Solo, I’ve not seen that one before, what is it? (Though it looks like it probably blocks the USB port anyway…?)

Sounds like the Garmin one should work, then. And possibly the Sram and the K-Edge.

Thanks.

simondbarnes

The one Solo posted is by Raceware. It’s pretty cool as it’s printed 🙂

spuddle
    Free Member

Has anyone used this instead of sticking out front the other way around? find it hard to mount my edge 810 next to my fat hope dh stem with the standard mount and don’t want it sticking out the front, so would it work pointing backwards or would I just keep catching my knee on it?

TiRed

The K-Edge will definitely fit. Just tested it on my road bike. I struggled until I unmounted he Garmin and noticed that the socket was errrr upside down 😳 .

Bez

Hm, cheers Mr B but I can’t find it on their site…

Dales_rider
    Free Member

£35 when a its plastic, they are taking the p1ss

stevio

a must have for the Rapha generation roadie? i just keep nudging my std mount whenever it tilts too far….

Bez

Ah – I meant the first one that Solo posted 🙂

simondbarnes

Ah, missed that one 🙂

Dales_rider
    Free Member

I’m waiting for the SRAM one to arrive, if its good at least 2 more will be bought for the bikes.
    I just want it so as the damn thing stops rotating around the stem and as a side it should make viewing it easier.

Solo
    Free Member

Ah – I meant the first one that Solo posted

Its a bontrager generic computer mount, cost me £12. I made a small and simple modification and its ace. I think it also has clearance to the USB mini port underneath. What I like about the mount is that it has an articulated unit support which allows me to rotate the computer to be below the profile of the brake levers and stem, while ensuring the display is still facing me. So that if I have to upturn the bike, I won’t accidentally mash the computer screen.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge mounts’ is closed to new replies.