Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Garmin Edge 705 – What am I doing wrong?
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Rode yesterday, didn't do anything different to usual, but the ride won't download to Garmin Training Centre. The ride is still in the device. Normally GTC would ask if I want to keep the User Profile of the device or the Computer, it isn't doing that. Apart from that, I can't see anything different, anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Just made a track now and that has uploaded, so what's wrong with the one from last night? I was following a Course actually, rather than just trracking, but I've done that before without problems.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

The GTC doesn't ask me whether I want to keep the profile as the profile is the same on both the GTC & the unit itself?

EDIT: Try going to the menu 'Device' and click on 'Receive from Device' – may work?

njee20
    Free Member

They can get corrupted sometimes, go into the menu and try and open the actual tcx file, if you get an error message then it's corrupted. There are guides online on how to retrieve them, you need an XML editor, or you can just write it off.

As an aside, I reckon the Connect website is better than Training Centre, although neither really help that much with training!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Yeah, I'm not sure why mine always asked me that, but it's stopped doing it now. I've just been pressing the receive from device button in GTC, which should do exactly the same as doing it via the menu, but trying your way now…… no that doesn't make any difference!

ltheisinger
    Free Member

When you 'followed the course' yesterday, did you still start the timer? If you didn't start the timer it doesn't record the data?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

The file does open on the device. Trying to upload to connect now. I'm not bothered about the software, I just convert the files to gpx for memory map and .hrm for Polar Pro Trainer

njee20
    Free Member

So you can open the actual TCX file, or it's not there? Not doing receive from device or anything, open the file in your history directory on the GPS.

It sounds like that's your problem.

Read this

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

The file is on the device, and it opens on the device no problems. I've just done an upload to Garmin Connect, but that hasn't seen the file, though it did fail to load another file for no good reason, but I don't think the two are connected.

I've copied the .tcx off the device and it won't import manually to GTC and tcx2hrm fails too, so looks like it's corrupted, better see what I can do with that article….

njee20
    Free Member

Definitely sounds like you just need to follow that link, I had to do it the other week, took about 30 seconds.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Hmmmmmmm! I've opened the file in that program it suggests, and found a 'Track' that contains an error. The next line says, "The real problem here is the lack of the closing tag, so scroll down the tree until you see a Trackpoint that is colored yellow, and the start of the next Track." But there aren't any other elements that are highlighted yellow at all.

Any ideas?

njee20
    Free Member

I can't really remember, I just opened mine, there was an obvious error, I edited it, it worked.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I added the </Track> that appeared to be missing, but it won't load into GTC at all, it doesn't even say there's a problem with the file now. I did manage to produce a Polar .hrm file from it, but it's only got the first half of the ride in it. Strange!

njee20
    Free Member

Didn't know you could produce HRM files from TCX files, does that transfer all the different data streams?

Polar Pro Trainer is far nicer than Training Centre for playing around with stuff!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

The program is called tcx2hrm google it, or I can email it across, yes it takes HR, altitude, cadence, power, speed I think. (I don't have power or cadence sensors) it works pretty well, though it does include any stationary time, which Garmin can ignore. I don't think it copies across any location data, but I don't know as Polar have started doing GPS watches recently.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I also use gpx2crs to get gpx's on as courses to follow btw.

Think I've worked out what's wrong; all the trackpoints that should be within the track that is showing an error are on the same level as the track. not sure I know how to fix it, but can probably work it out.

njee20
    Free Member

I now use Training Peaks WKO3, as that does all sorts of interesting things with power particularly, but it's just interesting to know you're not tied into Garmin software, like I say I always found PPT to be very user friendly.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge 705 – What am I doing wrong?’ is closed to new replies.