Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Garbun Pass -start place and route (links suggestions)?
  • hora
    Free Member

Riding there Sat- any start place tips and routes/links. …

…Any footpaths SFB? 😉

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

We did it on C2C. I think West to East, or Troutbeck to Kentmere is best. I didn’t enjoy it much at the time, but would love to do it again now – it was a bit too tricky for me. I’ve since gone from hating to loving the Peaks, and it’s rocky descents.

garnyam
    Free Member

We usually start at Ambleside, well just outside, to avoid paying for parking, but it will be busy this weekend. Up through the woods and over to Troutbeck.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Wheelbase (Staveley), Browfoot Lane, High Borrans, Dubbs, Garburn, Kentmere, then:
    a) Kentmere Hall,Sawmill Cottage, Browfoot
    b) Green Quarter, Rasp Howe, Staveley Head Fell, HP Plantation, Browfoot
    c) Low Lane, Stile End, Cocklaw Fell, Staveley Head Fell, HP Plantation, Browfoot

you can cut the corner from High Borrans on a FP, but it’s not much cop 🙁

crazy-legs

Definitely head East over Garburn, it’s the best way by far.
    SDB’s route options are all good, the other possibility is to head up Jenkins Crag from Ambleside, over Garburn to Kentmere and then down to Staveley for tea and cake. Back via Dubbs, Limefitt, Town End and Jenkins Crag to Ambleside (for more tea and cake…)

hora
    Free Member

So best to start in Ambleside? Question, once we rode from Kentmere Qtr by the old church, climbed up zig-zagging and the along some of the sweetest singletrack I have ever seen- it horse-shoe curved back on itself furth along alonside some woods down onto the same road (that leads either back to the church or onto Stavely – is that singletrack part of the route? IF I’ve described it properly mind!!!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

A group of us are going to be doing it on Saturday starting in Staveley and doing the Three Passes ride featured in Singletrack 44. Can’t wait, hope the legs are up to it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

hora, I’m not sure, but that sounds like it might be Cornclose Lane from Green Quarter. Go downhill from the church (eastwards) and turn left to climb steeply, turning R to Green Quarter, then R again at the small green. Turn L thru gate after 80m and climb to Rasp Howe. The track swings round the fell and drops to a ruin on the BW from Cocklaw Fell. Turn R to Staveley Head Fell, and at the 2nd gate you can turn R shortly after for a choice of 2 bridleways to the road. The left hand one through HP Plantation is better.

hora
    Free Member

Thats the one!

hora
    Free Member

We are starting at Wheelbase 🙂 Thanks guys. I’d take photos however we never stop long enough and there arent any lasses with bangers to shoot 😉

qwerty
    Free Member

tea and cake available from a house in Kentmere, just keep riding up into Kentmere and its at the top of a leg sapping climb, nice views whilst supping, i think it may be signed too

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

I did it From Ambleside to Stavelely earlier this week. Bit of a brain rattler on an xc hardtail but still a good ride. Have done it from both directions but ending in Stavely means you can eat at Wilfs’ cafe. Can’t remember my exact route as I had to keep adding more loops onto the ride so I didn’t finish too early.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

tea and cake available from a house in Kentmere

it’s called Maggs Howe, and is at Green Quarter

gingerflash

“head up Jenkins Crag from Ambleside, over Garburn to Kentmere and then down to Staveley for tea and cake. Back via Dubbs, Limefitt, Town End and Jenkins Crag to Ambleside (for more tea and cake…) “

I’d agree but instead of going up Jenkins at the start, we take the road along the lake and turn left at Brockhole up to Townhead. Save Jenkins and Skellghyll Woods for the descent at the end.

Also, on the way out, when you get to Troutbeck village, take this singletrack bridleway descent and then turn left, into Limefitt Caravan Park and take this trail to join Garburn.

hora
    Free Member

WOW, I like that bakery in Stavely. Nice espresso, sandwiches and loaves. Weather was spot on. Stevenmenmuir you werent with a few girls as well were you?

crazy-legs

A group of us are going to be doing it on Saturday starting in Staveley and doing the Three Passes ride featured in Singletrack 44. Can’t wait, hope the legs are up to it.

How did you get on then?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Yeah there were six of us including two young ladies we left just before eleven. Got back just before eight. Lots of food stops and nearly an hour with bikes on our backs. 12km on Sunday and it only took us about six hours!! Just as many food stops. Happy days.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Garbun Pass -start place and route (links suggestions)?’ is closed to new replies.