Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Garage floor paint. The interestingist topic
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Am looking to paint a concrete garage floor with hard wearing coloured paint. Have heard of various brands of paint lifting after parking a car on them, although heaviest item I’ll be parking is a motorbike.

Anyone done this job with good/bad results?

Also looking to paint the breeze block interior garage walls (white), should I stick to a specific paint? Do I need to seal the walls? etc etc

The is the perfect opportunity to post pics of your man cave

trail_rat
    Free Member

What ever you do wait till it warms up significantly !

Liftman

Any descent masonry trade paint for the walls will do, water down the first coat to seal the wall. Pick a good brand for the floor paint something like leyland, make sure the floor is dry and clean and don’t paint over oil stains as it will cause the paint not to stick.
    And as above wait till warmer.

neninja
    Free Member

If you want to be sure it won’t lift where the rubber motorbike wheel has been sitting, then use a concrete stabilizer/primer first. This will penetrate in to the concrete and provide a good base.

Then use a workshop floor paint – I add a little rinsed and dried sand to make it non-slip.

jonba
    Free Member

Preparation will be the key. I would imagine that a thorough clean and stabilising primer will be required. Some paints will lift. There are different types of floor andfloor paint. Some of the lighter duty offerings won’t be suitable for putting heavy things like cars on (and particularly the friction of rubber wheels).

You need something described as garage paint rather than just floor paint. It will be tougher and more resilient.

As for non slip you could try adding sand. That is essentially all that is in the non slip ones. However, it will mess things up a bit and you risk making the coating weaker. I don’t know if they drop the PVC of the coating by removing other pigments to account for the sand.

On the subject of temperature it needs to be much warmer. I wouldn’t apply a solvent based below 10c and a water based below 15c.

Plenty of brands available – most of the big paint players will have something.

Try a walk round the big day sheds or Google garage floor paint.

Key factor in most things paint is surface prep. You can make the best paint in the world crap if you are slap dash with the prep.

maccruiskeen

Its a question of whether a little bit of paint-lift worries you or not. The difference between Floor Paint and Garage Floor Paint is the latter is incredibly slick when dry, great as it doesn’t adhere to tyres and get lifted off – less great if you don’t want the place to be like an ice rink. I used a unit with a freshly painted floor last year the way everything you were trying to work with, or on, would just slide around drove me up the wall

project
    Free Member

Wait until its warm, wash floor and allow to dry, then start nearest door and work backwards, using a paint roller, on a broom handle,you could mis some silica sand into make the loor non slip after it drys.

Ps there is a deliberate mistake above , that we can all laugh at if you follow the instructions.

project
    Free Member

Dulux trade centres sell a really good paint for floors, just ask for some Zebra paint,theyll mix it to whatever colour you want,usually black and white,is the most popular and a long stand to apply it with.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Yeah, I was hoping for tartan…

Good advice thanks as ever guys. Top tip re the temperature, i would have ploughed on regardless but will hold the floor till warmer weather now. Might also try the sand trick. Had an eye on to Ronseal garage floor paint at £40 for 5L, mainly as I have some B&Q vouchers.

I’m guessing painting the walls will be fine despite the cold?..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Garage floor paint. The interestingist topic’ is closed to new replies.