Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Fun 140mm compatible hardtail recommendations
  • tomd1984
    Free Member

Hi all I’m new here.

Recently I have been thinking about chopping in my Specialized Enduro frame to return to a steel hardtail. I live in Kent and the Enduro is just too big for round ‘ere, and I don’t get enough chances to take it to places where I can really get the most out of it.

I used to own a Curtis SuperX (amongst other steel framed hardtails) and absolutely loved the feel of it, to this day (6 years later) I still regret selling that bike 🙁

Anyway, I’ve been out of riding for about 5-6 years, and the enduro was bought a couple of years ago to try and get me back into it, the wrong choice of bike has meant it’s sat in the shed not doing much. So a steel hardtail seems a logical way to go to allow me to blat around Bedgebury trail centre as well as what little natural stuff there is round here, but I’d like to use the components from my enduro as shown in this photo:

So, fox 140mm float R’s, Mavic crossrides, hone cranks etc etc. From reading up on what’s now available I’ve come to a list of three that I like:

Cotic Soul
    Dialled Bikes Prince Albert
    Ragley Blue Pig

I’d love the Curtis FR to basically build a bigger version of my old SuperX, but think I’d be better going for something cheaper to get me back into biking to begin with.

As you can tell from the enduro being custom powdercoated, I’m a bit of a bike tart, so it has to look good as well as ride nicely, I think the above all suit that with the components i’ve got available, it’s just deciding which one will give me a nice compliant ride, allow me to tackle trail centres easily and cope with the odd moment of lunacy.

I know the question of ‘which hardcore hardtail’ has probably been done to death, but any help making the best ride out of what kit I have would be appreciated 😀

Cheers for any help with this, i’m finally looking forward to getting back on my bike!

Tom.

andyl
    Free Member

I know it’s not steel but what about a Ti456? £799 for the frame but if you plan to have it a while it may be worth it.

tomd1984
    Free Member

I was thinking <£500 ideally to begin with, and would like to stick with steel if poss.

How about a Dialled Bikes Alpine to add to the list, or would the PA cope with what I’ve listed as potential riding?

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Evil Sovereign is the best steel 140mm hardtail money can buy. And that’s not just a biased opinion, it’s a scientific fact.

Seriously though, you want one in your life.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Shonky phone photo of this evenings afterwork ride.
    Does what I want, from all day rides to playing around in a Jeycore stylee.
    Had it a year, no problems at all 🙂

Tom83

Dialled PA. Love mine, just had it re-powder coated in black. Looks as good as it rides!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

looks like a pig though… 😉

Just pulled the trigger on a Soul 😀 so we’ll see how that rides.

Went from a Enduro to three years on a 456 – cracking bike. Hasn’t got the tubing/kudos of the ‘cooler’ bikes but it still rides very well. Might be worth a punt s/hand to see if you like it on a HT before dropping £500 on something…

Tom83

lol Reggie 😛

Shackleton

Get a 456 and with the change get it powder coated in the colour of your choice. Will still work out cheaper than any of the above and they ride brilliantly. A soul might be prettier and a blue pig would go down steps better but for someone getting into it again a 456 would be the way to go. Souls cost too much and if you are sensitive enough to notice the tubing differences then you probably cry watching Bambi or aren’t riding hard enough! Blue Pigs are entirely wrong for Kent and Prince Alberts just don’t look right.

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

If I was going to replace my Orange P7, it’d be an Evil Sov.

Amos
    Free Member

Cotic soul, bit of a fan boy, but went from a 575 to an el guapo and have no regrets made me appreciate riding again!

crotchrocket
    Free Member

i got a 140talas fork in an inbred & its good 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sov; in black. Want!

brooess
    Free Member

Get some Soul in your life 🙂

-Shines-
    Free Member

Soul

jonnyv
    Free Member

Soul angles nice.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Whyte 19 trail?

emsz
    Free Member

Chameleon.

Best bike in the world. Even better if it’s white.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Prince Albert would be my recommendation for the riding you’ve described.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Chumba hx1 ftw. Seriously, it’s ace and more “steel is real” than you’d think. (for an alu frame)

Jeffus
    Free Member

Orange P7

m_t_b
    Free Member

I did pretty much same as you, went for a soul and it has amazed me far exceeded my expectations. And this is an older one so if they have made an amazing bike better….

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

There can only be one, the definitive long travel steel hardtail, I give you

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

And in descending order of preference I have also built and ridden
    soul – all the positive love is true, sov just has more character
    alptitude – gorgeous riding bike, finish is dire
    pa (mk2) – lovely feel but bit too chunky
    p7- rides beautifully but again a bit too much girth
    456 – bruiser that loves to point down
    pa (mk1)- lovely ride but a bit too lardy
    inbred – wee bit too nervous
    chameleon – **** meeee back!!!!

simon_g

Still utterly satisfied with my Dialled PA.

Blue pig would be worth a look, but I think the old model is pretty much sold out now and the new model has tapered head tube which may not be ideal if you’re re-using forks.

I’d like to try a Soul, but it’s a good bit pricier – albeit for over a pound less weight.

Shackleton

New pig has 44mm headtube not tapered. Will take any size/shape steerer currently offered using the correct headset cups.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the Sov may well be very good – I’ve not ridden one – but it looks like a dog.

Put cheap kit on it and it’s an ASDA bike!

[Sorry, too much post-ride red…]

7hz
    Free Member

Make sure to ride a 140mm hardtail before you decide – it is my considered opinion that most of the time that is too much fork for a hardtail for XC / trail centres unless you are doing big tricks, and a lighter more XC oriented setup is in fact more fun and more ridable for most people.

rustler
    Free Member

What about a Sanderson Blitz ?

TheFlyingOx

Bregante

Now I’ve just got rid of my hardtail but that Trans Am is luvverly

bullheart
    Free Member

I’ve got a PA. I live in Kent. Let me know if you fancy a go. Best bike I’ve ridden.

stumpytrek
    Free Member

Another vote for a Prince Albert! Used to have a Blue Pig but much prefer this…

billybob
    Free Member

Make sure to ride a 140mm hardtail before you decide – it is my considered opinion that most of the time that is too much fork for a hardtail for XC / trail centres unless you are doing big tricks, and a lighter more XC oriented setup is in fact more fun and more ridable for most people

A 140mm hard tail? At a trail centre? Are you mad? You will probably die! You need a 6″ trail bike just to attempt some of the obstacles there! 😉

Personally I ride a PA (in 853 flavour..) so am slightly biased, a mate runs a Cotic Soul which is also very nice (lighter as well). The Evil is a lovely looking bike & I’ve always wanted one, until I picked it up!
    Still want one, however I don’t think it’d make a good xc bike compared to the others mentioned, as a ‘freeride’ or ‘downhill’ hardtail then yes please!

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I ride Bedgebury regularly and my Prince Albert was the worst bike I’ve ever ridden. Too heavy, angles all wrong and bb way too high. Made for a very unstable time in the tight corners of the singletrack.
    Now on an Orange Crush, and much happier. Your welcome to have a go if you like.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

“Angles All wrong”

Obtuse and reflex rather than acute??

Lemurian
    Free Member

Ragley Mmmbop all the way. It’s as fun as a SC Chameleon (I’ve owned both bikes) but a bit more stretched out so more comfortable for pedalling all day. Basically it’s a lighter version of the blue pig, I’m generally not a fan of steel frames though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Bearing in mind the riding you describe, I think a lot of the suggestions would be almost as overkill as your Enduro.

I know you said steel, but have you considered the carbon 456? Been blown away by mine and won’t go back to steel now.

If it has to be steel, Genesis Altitude and Cotic Soul probably both suitable.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’m generally not a fan of steel frames though

stone him!

bullheart
    Free Member

I ride Bedgebury regularly and my Prince Albert was the worst bike I’ve ever ridden. Too heavy, angles all wrong and bb way too high. Made for a very unstable time in the tight corners of the singletrack.
    Now on an Orange Crush, and much happier. Your welcome to have a go if you like.

😯

Bedgebury is flat. Literally. It’s like a big family trail, including the red and (lame) black. I’m there every few weeks, as sadly it’s my nearest place. Is there a secret gnarly bit with rocks and drops that I haven’t ridden that would require the services of a Crush??!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Fun 140mm compatible hardtail recommendations’ is closed to new replies.