• This topic has 74 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by adsh.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Full suspension XC 29er.
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’m thinking of replacing my Scandal with something with a bit of bounce. Ideally looking at a 100mm 29er, I could buy frame only and move my kit from the Scandal over or save a bit longer and buy full bike. Looking for some suggestions, I already have a Horsethief so something to compliment it would be ideal, more xc/trail.

weeksy

The Spearfish has to be up there then …

njee20
    Free Member

Superfly 100, Epic, Scalpel, Anthem

No bad bikes, try a few, but what you like!

GregMay
    Free Member

Spearfish. I flipping love mine.

cp

I did the same move and went for an Anthem. Very good bikes… I bought a complete 29er X4 from Pedalon On for 900 and split/sold off the bits.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Another one in the same boat, although I’m really struggling to part with my Scandal. Top of my list currently is an Anthem, all the bits on my Scandal are still in great nick, so I’d just swap them over. I have a pair of road wheels/tyres though that I put on the Scandal and it does a respectable job of passing for a road/hybrid bike, I would miss that with the Anthem.

GHill

SC Tallboy.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Spearfish was definitely on the radar, less keen on Salsa’s current prices though and the lack of a UK distributor. I’d also noticed the Anthem in my searches, doesn’t really make me swoon but there’s no denying the great reports of the maestro platform.
    Wilko, I’m thinking the same about my Scandal, currently commuting on it and enjoying it, I’d probably build it back up as such.
    Tallboy is nice but I’m not keen on santa cruz geometry.

dyls

Anyone have a scott spark 29er?

letmetalktomark

In the usual recommend what you have way I would say Giant Trance.

Yes okay its 120mm rather than 100mm travel but its a lovely bike to ride.

I bought my frame SH and built it up.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Trance probably is closer to the Horsethief than what I’m looking for, I did consider just making a few mods to the Horsethief when needed. Iirc the spearfish is only a pound lighter.

pinkwafer

There are some good 43% off discounts off Trek Superfly FS bikes at Royles at the moment?

cheers_drive

Canyon Nerve 29er?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Nerve does look good, I’ve been around the Canyon site about a million times, looking at one model then the next then moving over to the Lux…I’ve I was to go full bike then they’s certainly be in the running. At the moment though cash is more frame only. But as I said shifting a few bits and bobs could release some more funding.

pinkwafer those are some great bargains on the Superfly! Out of all the manufacturers I struggle to feel any love for though Trek is probably at the top of the pile.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Yeti ASRc?

bowglie

I have a Horsethief and Spearfish (the flex stay, single pivot versions), and the Spearfish is a great compliment to the ‘Thief.

My wife has a Santa Cruz Superlight 29er that I occasionally borrow, and it’s OK geometry wise, but there’s definitely more flex in the back end, and feels like there’s a bit more weight in the frame than the ‘Fish.

If you’re interested, I am having to sell my Spearfish as a frame only.
    Gimme a shout if you’re interested.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

You’ve got to try an M109, I’ve been riding 1 since Christmas and so far it’s very good. Might not be quite as quick as an Epic but seems a lot more fun.

bowglie

OH, as a p.s. We took the Spearfish to Spain for a biking holiday (along with a nice specced carbon Spesh Camber). Even with a middling budget(i.e. not light!), the Spearfish blew away everything else on the long days. Whoever had a go on it just pulled away into the distance – even the 29er sceptic guide was surprised. Ace little bike 😀

harryjan
    Free Member

Love my carbon Ghost 2978 (100mm on the back 120mm on the front atm)

Although planning to sell up for a Codeine soon (Want more bounce for bigger wales ect. days but can’t afford a second 650b 160mm or what not 🙁 )

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ye can have a shot of the Spectral tomorrow night YK! 8)

Clink

New Spearfish was well liked by Chipps. I have the Horsethief which pedals very well, so would imagine the DW link Spearfish is a rocket.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Spearfish is looking good, nearly double the price of an Anthem frame though but does appeal to me quite a bit more.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Ubyk currently have all sizes of 2014 Spearfish at 998:

http://www.ubyk.co.uk/salsa-spearfish-1-split-pivot-frame/18759#p_details

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Westbrook also have them and at 949 plus 5% topcashback…… which isn’t helping!

youngrob

Have a look at the Rocky Mountains. I have an Instinct BC Edition which has more travel than you’re looking for but the regular Instinct or the Elements would be spot on. The bikes ride fantastically well and I’ve done everything on mine from enduros to the strathpuffer. The Ride9 chip seems like a gimmick but it really does work. http://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/element/2015

bonesetter
    Free Member

Second the RM Element. I have the 970

It’s a brilliantly executed bike with a super efficient rear too

vondally
    Free Member

third the Roy Element mine has a fox rear shock and I feel it is an improvement over the rockshox and 120mm forks on the front so BC edition.

Sold Turner Sultan as this was minutes quicker on the ups and only seconds less than 10 on the descents

really recommended

adsh
    Free Member

The quality of finish on the split pivot Spearfish frame is really good.

Don’t forget however to factor in the hassle of sourcing 51mm offset forks though you can run them with standard.

bonesetter
    Free Member

How does the rear peform on the Spearfish?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

another +1 for the element

There is every chance that your fork will be a 100/120 inside and popping it up to 120mm will make this a nice fun trail XC bike. Rear with the Fox Remote is excellent.

happybiker
    Free Member

Another vote for the Element, I’ve had 5 29ers in the last few years and my Rocky is the only bike I can do long rides on in complete comfort. It’s fun fast and light.

happybiker
    Free Member

Another vote for the Element, I’ve had 5 29ers in the last few years and my Rocky is the only bike I can do long rides on in complete comfort. It’s fun fast and light.

happybiker
    Free Member

Another vote for the Element, I’ve had 5 29ers in the last few years and my Rocky is the only bike I can do long rides on it in complete comfort. It’s fun fast and light.

bonesetter
    Free Member

That’s a fair few votes happy 🙂

cakefest
    Free Member

I was in this boat back in October, picked up a Whyte M109C Team 2014 at a great discount to replace my 2005 Turner Flux. At that time fitness was poor but I tested a Medium from a nearby shop on my local hilly, forested damp trails and on the Long Mynd in Shropshire.

Riding locally was incredible. Faster speeds on fireroads, singletrack, incredible traction on mud, more confidence and stability on tech up and down, and 29er wheels rolled over stuff. Some fiddling with pressures at front and back and with stem and seat setup got things feeling good for me.

Took it up to the Long Mynd and managed to ride all 2 miles up Minton Batch singletrack which has some steep kickers on mud, some rocks, and in mini-gulleys filled with streams. Traction was great, and height of BB meant I didn’t bash the pedals in the 8in wide gulleys, which I often did on the low BB Flux.

Coming back down the open grassy doubletrack trails was very fast and stable, great fast steering and line changes when I needed it, too. Big smiles.

Have got a slight reservation about the cramped bottle cage in small front triangle for long rides, but trying a side entry cage and smaller bottle and it seems to be the way forwards. Drinking from Camelbaks doesn’t work for me as I can’t clamp my mouth around the valve and end up with wet pants. 😯

Great fun, fast, stable, light bike.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Same , I have a Whyte m109 and its a fantastic bit of kit ,also still discounted at Cycle surgery

So much so one of the reviews on their web is mine 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

I tried the Whyte offering…

A decent, well thought out bike, does everything well, but I found it a bit dull, and ultimately not much fun

It just didn’t have that alive feel that your favourite bike has, or for that matter what the Element immediately and obviously had – a very different story all round

For the money in that link above though it would be a good buy

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

http://www.blueflowbikes.com/hammerhead-thumper-closeouts/hammerhead-thumper-frame

Make the Horsethief a bit more ‘XC’ and buy a Thumper?. Gareth has one of these (NZ Gareth) and loves it.

tricky1984
    Free Member

I’m in a similar boat myself and I can’t find anything that fits the bill for me, the one bike I keep going back to though is the trek superfly fs, it has internal dropper post routing and 142×12 rear axle, a couple of tweaks would easily make it more trail then xc race bike. Personally I’m going for the Base model and I’m putting a 120mm fork on and a dropper post, some nobblyer tyres and a wider bar. I have other plans too if the wife let’s me. I’ve only got space for one bike so it has to be a commuter be able to do all day in the pennines do 24 hour race and be still be fun around Lee quarry.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Full suspension XC 29er.’ is closed to new replies.