Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Fuelsure filler caps!
  • xcgb
    Free Member

Just got my first diesel car and have seen these

http://www.fuelsure.com/index.html

Clever idea seems to me

Anyone used one? are they annoying/messy, I am paranoid that i am going to put petrol in after years of petrol cars!

seems a bit steep at £30 but the alternative would be worse!!! ( i have stuck notes saying its a diesel you ****t etc too )

Ta

molgrips
    Free Member

I am paranoid that i am going to put petrol in after years of petrol cars!

Then you are unlikely to do it! Do you fill up without thinking about it?

xcgb
    Free Member

Mol no but id i was tired rushed + I have a wife too! 😉

Drac

If it's a newer car it'll probably have the narrow still filler anyway.

Stoner
    Free Member

are you female?

xcgb
    Free Member

Stoner nope but as i said I do have a wife…….

Stoner
    Free Member

dont let her drive. Simples.

Gary_M
    Free Member

That fact that you're paranoid about it will stop you putting the wrong fuel in. I've always had petrol cars and bought a diesel 6 tears ago, I still have the fear which is a good thing. Funnily enough when I put fuel in the pterol car I never think that way.

xcgb
    Free Member

Gary I know, I have never done it but we just say automatically , must stop for petrol!! am i subliminally telling myself to put petrol in?

xcgb
    Free Member

Stoner but then I cant drink!
    Unless I make sure car is always full

Stoner
    Free Member

Stoner but then I cant drink!

Good point. The downside of my misogyny! 😉

cranberry
    Free Member

Start telling yourself that you are stopping to fill the car with diesel and make a point of identifying the diesel pump when you pull up.

As for the wife- point out what a shame it would be if she had to sell her shoe/handbag collection in order to put right any damage done by mis-fuelling.

molgrips
    Free Member

You say stop for petrol – but then you pull into the station and look for a suitable pump. These days you have to check which fuel you want, since they are all equally available. To pick petrol, you have to actively search out the green one (and get ultimate/v-power/equillium/normal) even if you have a petrol. Given all that choosing, it's hard to accidentally get petrol when you want diesel. My point is that it's not an automatic thing, so I never get it wrong.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'm with mol, there's 3-4 fuels available at every stop, how can it be automatic?

That said, I've known several people who've done it.

molgrips
    Free Member

It's not at all uncommon.. I find this surprising 🙂

Although I must fess up – with my first car I put about 5l of diesel in it when it was petrol. No idea why that happened. I'd never owned a diesel, my family had never owned one..

tonyg2003

Just ordered one of these since there is always the possibility of anyone doing a mis-fueling by accident (we have a petrol and diesel)the potential bills for stratospheric. For £30 it seems to be a no-brainer.

Underhill
    Free Member

£30 for your own peace of mind isn't bad, but don't think I'd buy one. As Drac said, your car almost certainly has the narrow filler that will not allow a petrol nozzle to fit.

molgrips
    Free Member

Underhill – diesel nozzle is bigger so will not fit in a petrol, but the other way round will fit – petrol in diesel.

Underhill
    Free Member

Oh. Yeah that sounds probably right.

*gets coat*

xcgb
    Free Member

I have read that you need to make sure that the nozzle is totally empty, when you twist the cap as diesel coated shoes aren't a good look!

molgrips
    Free Member

Nor are petrol coated shoes! 🙂

nbt

molgrips – Member

Underhill – diesel nozzle is bigger so will not fit in a petrol, but the other way round will fit – petrol in diesel.

Presumably because adding a it of petrol to the diesel tank is ok (they used to add a small amount of petrol to stop diesel from freezing in cold weather) whereas diesel in a petrol engine is a big no-no

theotherjonv

we did this to death a few weeks back but in summary, modern diesel cars have very fine tolerance high pressure pumps that actually use the diesel to lubricate themselves. Petrol is a solvent and washes the lubricant away, and therefore can damage these pumps seriously, costing top $ to replace. A bit of petrol would be OK, but a tankful could screw the pumps up before you've even driven it, as the act of unlocking the car can prime the pumps in some models. Drive it, and you could risk the whole engine.

Diesel in petrol is not good but in general the car will just run rough and eventually stall. Drain and refill and you might be luckier, as eventually the petrol will dilute and disperse the greasy diesel. You might need new fuel filters, etc. but less likely to be a major problem.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/misfuelling.html

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Fuelsure filler caps!’ is closed to new replies.