Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • FSA Crankset installation problems (sigh!!)
  • Cheesey1974
    Free Member

Bit of help needed here guys as I am stumped.

I have just bought a brand new (removed from new bike and sold to me) FSA Carbon Team Issue cranskset.

I bought it to put on my 2010 S-Works stumpy that uses a Shimano BB-91 press-fit adapter that needs an axle of 24mm (which both Shimano, and this particular FSA crankset both have).

The BB91 utilises a small plastic spacer that slides down the axle towards the rings which you fit before using the BB91 (this has been done and is fitted).

The axle went straight through and came out the other side perfectly (i.e., the ‘splines’ end right at the BB.

So this has ruled out any BB91/crankset incompatibility issues.

PERFECT

Oh No…

I greased the splines on the axle and attached the left crank arm and started to tighten away as per usual.

However.

The crank is about 5mm away from the BB/End of the splined section of axle.

Now believe me, I have tightened this up SUPER tight, I am aware of FSA’s unusually large torque settings for these, however I DO NOT want strip threads, bugger/snap the bolt etc.

My questions are:
    A) How do I overcome this? Am I not fitting the left crank arm correctly?
    B) Is there supposed to be some sort of spacer, that goes on before the left crank arm?
    C) Should the left arm tighten up to the ‘end’ of the splined section of the axle?

I have some photos to show you the situation:

I would REALLY appreciate any help on this.

kevj
    Free Member

I have the same crank on my cube but I also use the fsa external mega exo bb. Yes, I too require 1 spacer on the drive side to correct the offset for the chain line. A quick measurement gives me 98 mm betwen bb outer faces. Maybe worthwhile taking the crank off and measuring the width of the bb and again measure the gap between the drive and non drive side crank arms while its off.

Cheesey1974
    Free Member

Bit of a difference here 🙁

The Shimano BB91 doesn’t use any spacers as per the HTII/Mega Exo/external type.

The only spacer it uses is a small platic 2.5mm washer on the actual axle of the crank, which you put on before inserting the axle into the BB.

I am wondering if now, the actuall axle of the new (FSA)crankset is too long.

At least with hollowtech II you cant go wrong.

kevj
    Free Member

That is sort of what I suggested. The axle is designed to work between a range of say 98mm +/- 5 mm depending on how many spacers used (approx 2.5mm thk) but the overall width of the bb you have is less than 93mm ?

kaesae
    Free Member

How far into the through axle can you thread the bolt ❓ and with the bolt removed how far onto the splines does it go ❓

Cheesey1974
    Free Member

I removed the bolt and threaded it into the axle without the crank arm and it goes all the way in.

The crank arm on its own goes a fair way but not nearly enough without tightening. This was taken off a brand new bike, so obviously the crank is 100%.

🙁

There’s nothing wrong with the crank, I am begining to wonder if I made a feckup with the BB91/crank axle length compatibility.

Cheesey1974
    Free Member

TBH (after asking on various forums/researching on tinterweb)I think there’s not a lot I can do with this, it needs a bike with a conventional (and that can be spaced) BB Shell.

Oh well – back to Shimano.

Xylene
    Free Member

I have that FSA cranks set and had issues when replaced the BB the other week with the spacing.

I managed to get it to fit in the end using an XTR bb I have a spacer on the left side and one on the right for my frame.

It works fine.

kaesae
    Free Member

It needs more spacers, what about the 24mm ones that fit onto the actual axle ❓ or more spacers else where ❓

PhilChap

I have a conventional BB so it might not be relevant but there is a “wave” washer which fits under the left crankarm which I presume is to take up any slack. Take a look on the FSA website, fitting instructions are on there and it may be your missing that.

monkeyp

If it helps – I had to do my bolts up INSANELY tight to get it on. Seems to have freed it up a bit since that first fitting, but it was way tighter than it should have been.

Cheesey1974
    Free Member

Well, I thought I had sold these (I got impatient and threw my teddy out of the pram last night) but the guy is mucking me around so looks like they are staying.

Have ordered a wavy washer that the seller didnt include to me.

Does anyone know where I can purchase a 5mm axle spacer for 24mm axles)

Thanks

Cheesey1974
    Free Member

Well I think it’s now sorted.

As you will see from the picture below, it’s approx 5mm away from the bearing cover.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I was indeed missing the wave washer (now ordered) which does take up about 2-3mm, which only leaves 2-3mm of tightening.

I have procured a torque wrench that can go up to 500, so I am going to use that 🙂

I shall grease everything up nicely, to aid movement.

Also there were anoth 2 washers that were not included 🙁

So I have ordered a QR-8A replacement kit (all the washers and bolts etc).

Hopefully, that should do the trick without any spacers needed.

Thanks for your help guys.

Ill post an update!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘FSA Crankset installation problems (sigh!!)’ is closed to new replies.