Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Front Hubs
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m looking to replace my splined Hope Bulb for a new hub with a six bolt fixing. Going to keep my rim and just rebuild. The logical choice is a Hope Pro but I’ve heard they are not as maintenance free as bulbs were. Just want QR but at some future date it should be 20mm convertable as when my forks die I expect 20mm will be next.

Is there anything worth considering as an alternative to the Hopes?

julianwilson
    Free Member

Apart from a budget 20mm one that came on a mate’s coiler many years ago, all the 20mm ones I have encountered seem to depend on the quality of the cartridge bearings really. (cup and cone shimano ones are not convertable so you don’t need to consider them if you want 20mm later on) The superstar one seems ok so far, I also have a dmr revolver and an atomlab somethingorother which are both well lovely, within a few grams in weight of the pro2, and still on original bearings.

The reason I would choose hope over something a tenner less would be the choice of colour, spoke holes (28, 32 and 36) and that you can now get converters for maverick forks too (which are a bit ‘marmite’ but mrs j loves hers).

clubber
    Free Member

Many 20mm hubs are less durable than older design because they have smaller bearings – that’s certainly true of Hope and several others.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yup then Hope it is.

Ta

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Front Hubs’ is closed to new replies.