Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • French holiday biking conundrum
  • kermit
    Free Member

Morning all,

This summer, we went camping in Cornwall. It was a good holiday, with plenty for the kids to do, and plenty of trails to keep us amused at Llanhydrock and in Cardinham Woods.

The downside, however, was the Cornish weather! To that end, we’re thinking of going back to France next year, which is where the conundrum arises! Much as I’d like to take the family to the Alps, my wife’s eyesight is buggered, so she can no longer drive, and with kids of 13, 10 & 8, long car journeys would be unpleasant enough even if I didn’t have to do all the driving!

So…. Can anyone recommend a location with decent Singletrack somewhere within around 5-6 hours of one of the French ferry ports? Coastal would be a nice to have if possible, but wherever it is, it does need to have more than just biking, as my wife and daughter are distinctly less into biking!

Being able to nominate a decent camping/glamping site nearby would win massive extra kudos points, especially if it has a decent pool with slides and the like! 🙂

I speak fluent French, so thought this would be easy enough to find, but I’d forgotten that most of the French internet appears to have been written in about 1992 by people who wished it was still 1952! I’ve found a couple of sites that give the appearance of having colour graded trails, but I can’t figure out whether it’s grading for technical difficulty, or just the physical exertion required ro get round a non-technical loop….

It also takes something like this to remind you that whenever anyone whines about Britain not being great at anything any more, you can utterly destroy their argument with three words….. Ordnance Survey Maps!! Simply the best maps in the word by a country mile!

joeegg
    Free Member

I’m looking at going to the Vosges region next year.About 320 mile from Calais.
    Have a look at the Gerardmer tourist info site for campsites and they do a mtb map with various routes. Not on the coast but by a very big lake. Seems to get the thumbs up on here from the few British that go there.

exupmonkey
    Free Member

I spent 4 weeks in the Vosges region in July, fantastic for biking,some tough climbing and lovely single track. but always with the back drop of a magnificent view. I would go back there in a heart beat. We took our campervan and moved about a lot wild camping so cant comment on campsites but there are plenty to choose from. Lots of GPX routes on GPSies for your Garmin if your that way inclined.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Vosges – as recommended above
    Jura (French and Swiss)

Closer to ferry but more English weather you have
    Normandy (another stw-er kindly sent me all the vtt routes) has the benefit if being 30 mins from Caen ferry. A couple of threads recently
    If you like Cornwall exploring Brittany especially the south coast which has some nice beaches could be good, I can’t speak for the biking there

All of this is useful
    Maps – use geoportal.gouv.fr and turn on the IGN mapping
    Uttawaga website and Facebook
    Vttfrance for routes and maps
    Welshfarmer linked to a great singketrack website on a Les Arcs thread

jambalaya
    Free Member

@exup would love to see some of those routes, email in profile

kermit
    Free Member

Cheers guys. I’ll get looking at the Vosges…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘French holiday biking conundrum’ is closed to new replies.