Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 126 total)
  • “Free to collector”
  • razorrazoo

I’ve got the remains of a bulk bag of pea gravel on my drive right now if it’s of use to anyone.  Needs your own carrying receptacles.

falkirk-mark

I’ve got the remains of a bulk bag of pea gravel on my drive right now if it’s of use to anyone. Needs your own carrying receptacles.

Can you deliver to Falkirk tomorrow between 11 and 12

igm

Free pea gravel you say. Interesting, but a bit pricey. Can you do it for half that price?

PS – don’t be fooled. He doesn’t really live in Falkirk.  It’d be a wasted journey for you.

theotherjonv

I sold a small IKEA bookcase thing to a lovely young Polish (relevant) couple on local Facebook marketplace last summer. They were from the next suburb so about 1.5 miles away, rang the doorbell, I opened the garage where it was and they liked it, gave me a tenner, all good. Then as he lifted it up and carried it away, I realised parked outside was a smart car.

I queried and he said it was OK he was going to carry it home. It was about 15kg, I estimated so not impossible, but a bit unwieldy. His girlfriend was going to drive home, walk back to wherever he’d got to, and then carry it together the rest of the way.

There’s quite a few Polish/E. Europeans live in this area – my daughter’s school friend as example and they are distinctly no nonsense and not scared of a bit of hard work if it’s needed. If he said he was going to carry it, ultimately he would have done, but because I’m kind I offered to grab my keys and follow them back with it in my car.

Only after did I wonder whether my ‘Collection only’ had been elegantly dismantled right in front of me, and my bookcase is in their flat with various Polish books on ‘How to Outwit the English’ on it.

Olly
    Free Member

Only after did I wonder whether my ‘Collection only’ had been elegantly dismantled right in front of me, and my bookcase is in their flat with various Polish books on ‘How to Outwit the English’ on it.

Hahaha. Stunning.

My “Car” Transit 350, so i kind feel i have to hide it if i dont want to have to offer to carry stuff for people who are trying to crowbar a sofa into a mini. Though to be honest, if theyve turned up at the time they said they would then they’re alright in my book and its only ever one or two streets away.

On small cars: They guy who bought my Urban arrow, took it away inside (to be clear, thats Inside) a Honda Jazz.

https://www.auto-data.net/images/f45/Honda-Jazz-I_1.jpg

When he turned up i thought he might be a tyre kicker. And wasnt too thrilled about the prospect of having to “run it over” to southampton, 2 hrs away. Also a long way to come without a plan to take it away.

But take it away he did.

Jakester
    Free Member

Agh, another one today. I have something advertised for £120 plus P&P. “What’s ur best price, M8?”

Well, if you tell me where you are, I’ll give you a postage quote. Did so. “That’s too much”.

Right, well, er, why? How did you think it would get to you then, by carrier pigeon? Why do people contact you on items where you’re happy to post and then baulk at the cost of postage when, in the grand scheme of things, it’s probably another £10 – £12 on top?

Of course, it’s always open to them to make a counter-offer, but they never seem to – they seem to want you to bid yourself down until they’re “happy”.

tomd
    Free Member

Amateur without an accompanying sob story. It’s to put round a grave of your dead loved one who is with the angles but can’t be at peace due to the unkempt boundary around the grave and you have some vague illness that means you couldn’t lift a full bag from Wickes even if your DLA would stretch to it. For full send seller a message saying you’re crying when they don’t get it.

There is a guy round our way that hoovers up any cycling stuff going free cheap and sells on. Had him turn up with the exact same sob story twice, forgetting that he’d done it already. Total walloper.

dirkpitt74

My wife recently listed an ikea wardrobe on FB – I’d taken it apart and stored it in the garage.
    She only wanted £10 for it and buyer collect.
    She had one person ask if we could deliver to it Telford (from Cannock) and reassemble it for her, and would she take £5 for it………

nbt

What’s ur best price, M8?”

Have had this. I’d advertised at e.g. £150 and he replied within minutes obviously expecteing me to say Oh you can have it for a tenner

He seemded most put out when I sai “my best price would be £300, cheers”

“but that’s twice the price you listed at”

yes but it’s the best price for me, sonny…

got asking price for it in the end

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Fair few adverts on local FB groups basically advertising piles of rubble as “reclaimed bricks” for £x. Absolute chancers…

thenorthwind

Hundreds of adverts for “free firewood” with accompanying photos of piles of rotting chipboard or old window frames with an inch thick layer of lead paint on them 🙄

Sui
    Free Member

thenorthwind
    Hundreds of adverts for “free firewood” with accompanying photos of piles of rotting chipboard or old window frames with an inch thick layer of lead paint on them 🙄

got many stories about these through my build and having left over stuff. My neighbour however was getting a loa dof greif of his missus as they had been clearing away and had loads of hardcore, but also ~300 block pavers in good condition. He’d left it all on the front drive just hoping someone woudl drive by. As they werent FB users, i said, look i’ll stick it on FB for you, i could probably even get a few quid and it willbe gone in a few hours. So i did (minus the money bit) and true to form the FB Market place vulturs swooped in and it was gone in 2 hours having sat there for a week.

Sui
    Free Member

There’s also another phenomenon i’ve encounted – the morally corrupt.

A couple of times now i’ve advertised things [for free] like lawnowers and thing as free for spares of repair. People duly come along, pick them and say thanks. half hour later you see it back up on FBMP being sold. in exactly the sme state it was – this narks me a lot especially when it’s something like kids toys/ new parent type stuff and you’re helping people out.. w’kers

johndoh
    Free Member

Hundreds of adverts for “free firewood” with accompanying photos of piles of rotting chipboard or old window frames with an inch thick layer of lead paint on them

I gave away a huge amount of old fence panels (still quite useful for allotment owners etc). I made it clear on the advert that they absolutely must not be used for firewood. But yep – it happens loads – shocking.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

He seemded most put out when I sai “my best price would be £300, cheers”

“but that’s twice the price you listed at”

yes but it’s the best price for me, sonny…

Love that. I’m going to try that one out.

kerbdog
    Free Member

I just replaced our deck recently and wasnt looking forward to getting rid of 40 feet x 15 feet of old decking. Turns out i needn’t have worried, the wife stuck it on facebook and it was gone in two days. I was very surprised as a lot of it was rotting but apparently the couple who came and lifted it were going to use it in a stove…rather them than me.

jwt
    Free Member

FB marketplace, old ‘dumb’ fluid type turbo trainer, worked fine just old.
    I asked for £50, guy said ok, arranged to meet…….
    ‘I’ve only got £40’
    ‘sorry mate wanted £50’
    he went home empty handed

bridges
    Free Member

On the flip side of this, are people who would rather throw perfectly good items away, than let someone else have it ‘for free’. Very selfish attitude. I’m only too happy to give someone something decent that I no longer have any use for. And that includes Apple Macs and Dysons. 😉

bridges
    Free Member

Lol! Genuinely laughed at that. Fantastic. 😀

pocpoc
    Free Member

Someone has put on an open bag of shallots on our local page! 7 left, go out of date tomorrow.

I’m sure some people have bets to see what’s the wierdest thing they can get someone to come and collect.

nickjb
    Free Member

On the flip side of this, are people who would rather throw perfectly good items away, than let someone else have it ‘for free’. Very selfish attitude

Not sure it is selfishness or ignorance. A chap round the corner spend several hours smashing up roof tiles with a hammer to get more in his skip. If he’d left them stacked up they’d be gone in a day.

ossify

Someone has put on an open bag of shallots on our local page! 7 left, go out of date tomorrow.

Really don’t see the issue with things like this, seems a great idea. What else will they do with them? Chuck them in the bin?
    Saves waste and they’re onions, you peel them, it’s not like it’s a half empty tin of bum butter or something.

If you have pretty much anything that could be useful to someone, it doesn’t hurt to offer it for free.

finbar
    Free Member

Really don’t see the issue with things like this, seems a great idea. What else will they do with them? Chuck them in the bin?

+1 . Why retain the onion?

richmtb

+1 . Why retain the onion?

Chapeau Sir, Chapeau

razorrazoo

Perhaps, if I take my gravel bike.

Free pea gravel you say. Interesting, but a bit pricey. Can you do it for half that price?

PS – don’t be fooled. He doesn’t really live in Falkirk.  It’d be a wasted journey for you.

Still on my drive, as a deal it comes with a free bulk bag with a cut down the side.

I gave away an old shed last week, I can now see it as I type as the couple over the road took it to store their commuter bikes in on the drive.  They did bring me round a bottle of wine as I was unloading the gravel out of the bulk bag that I diid use though.

db

Neighbour just took away c80 blocks for paving. Just needed a few to do a little path. They have been sat beside my house for the last couple of years since the tip started charging for rubble!

Another neighbour having an extension built just sold their old conservatory for £200. 3 guys turned up and took it all down. Neighbour was happy as it was going to cost time and money for him to dispose of it.

I like it. Less stuff in landfill has go to be good a thing. Need to see what else I have horded in the garage I can get rid of!

onewheelgood

I’ve got the remains of a bulk bag of pea gravel on my drive right now if it’s of use to anyone.

Vince in Leamington Spa would like it

WANTED: Pea Gravel (decorative) (Leamington Spa (CV32)) First posted Thu, 13th May 7:44am
    Hi there,
    Just wondering if anyone has any decorative pea gravel or similar for a small path along the side of my house.
    Not too worried about the colour.
    Probably need about 6 to 8 x 25kg bags worth.
    Thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Vince

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I asked for £50, guy said ok, arranged to meet…….
    ‘I’ve only got £40’
    ‘sorry mate wanted £50’
    he went home empty handed

Reminds me of the chap who came to buy my son’s islabike. He gave me the cash ~£500 IIRC which I apologetically counted. It was ten quid short, at which point he pulled a ready tenner out of his pocket and gave me that.

Looking back I really really wished I had just told him to **** off and tell his son that he wasn’t getting the bike because he tried to rip off the seller. Alas at the time I was so flabbergasted I just let it slide and gave him the bike.

matt_outandabout

On the flip side of this, are people who would rather throw perfectly good items away, than let someone else have it ‘for free’.

I think a lot of people don’t understand the value of some things.

I was prevented from pulling out of the metals skip at our tip a full Mercedes Pro Bar and 4 Mercedes 591 bike racks – the owner pulled it off his Vito roof and flung it in. Why? He had a transit custom arriving and it had built in roof bars, so he was buying 4 ‘Ford’ bike racks to go on them. So flung the old racks – and didn’t know that a) they were Thule and b) I would have given him money for them.

ElShalimo

I’ve got some grass and dandelions here, free to collector. You just need to bring your petrol lawnmower to gather it all up.

I’m surprised at the lack of takers for this

Mister-P
    Free Member

with the angles

Thoughts and prayers

Northwind

I love fb classifieds, it’s basically a big internet jumble sale where half the people are mental but that’s what makes it fun. (also my ebay business is pretty much “buying other people’s shit for little, making it good and selling it for much, and that’s got harder to do with ebay)

But, I do have a car bumper listed for free. It’s scratched, but it’s a slightly rare JDM version, not easy to find in the UK. I’ve had 3 people definitely coming to get it, even down to getting texts on the day, and then not appear. I’ve had loads of other time wasters. But 9/10ths of all the messages are variants on “does it come with the car”. Why yes, of course it does, how silly of me to forget to mention in the ad that the free bumper comes with an entire car attached.

chakaping
    Free Member

it’s not like it’s a half empty tin of bum butter

That sounds like a challenge.

Rich_s

It was ten quid short, at which point he pulled a ready tenner out of his pocket and gave me that.

That’s an old old gag. I was flogging some tat at a car boot sale in Doncaster about 18 years ago and a lovely old biddy wandered over to examine my wares. Making very sure I was aware she had bad eyesight.

She selected an item from my stall (probably a genuine Picasso or such like). I said 50p. She rooted in her purse and proferred a 10p coin.

I said, sorry that’s not the right money. She reached over, took the 10p back and replaced it in the same move with a 50p coin which she’d had palmed.

Honestly, it was such a slick move. So impressed. It earned me a glare from her though 😁

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve had that as well, buyer giving me a stack of readies £20 short for a bike. Seemed a bit too smooth about replacing it.

But I’ve also (accidentally, honest) done it to a seller. Counted out my money wrong.

Half thought he might have pocketed £10, but the total tallied up correct.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But I’ve also (accidentally, honest) done it to a seller. Counted out my money wrong.

Pfft, can beat that.

My dad once paid double for a motorbike!

Got the cash out of the building society, drove over to Norfolk to collect it, handed over the sealed envelope and the seller says “seems a bit heavy, is it all £10’ers? So they count it, and whoever was behind the counter must have been distracted, and rather than counting it twice to check, they counted it twice out of the drawer!

They were waiting for him when he got home having figured out where the mistake was when cashing up and being an odly exact amount short, he was annoyed that all he got for his honesty in giving it back was a box of Ferrero rocher!

squirrelking
    Free Member

I think a lot of people don’t understand the value of some things.

I was prevented from pulling out of the metals skip at our tip a full Mercedes Pro Bar and 4 Mercedes 591 bike racks – the owner pulled it off his Vito roof and flung it in. Why? He had a transit custom arriving and it had built in roof bars, so he was buying 4 ‘Ford’ bike racks to go on them. So flung the old racks – and didn’t know that a) they were Thule and b) I would have given him money for them.

I’d put money on the guy at the tip knowing exactly how much they were worth. That’s what does my head in about the whole thing, the council could be making good money but for the will to actually filter the stuff that comes through.

johndoh
    Free Member

Today’s Freegle request…

We are looking for an inflatable double canoe/kayak of reasonable quality (with a skeg) and condition that folds up to a reasonably small size.

All these demands and not even a ‘please’ in there.

stumpy01

We put a load of kids stuff on FB marketplace a while ago; some games, clothes & a couple of potties.

A really nice couple turned up to collect them & when they left asked whether I wanted anything for it all. Said no as we’d listed it for free & just want to see it getting used rather than go into landfill. She asked if I had a particular charity I had a connection to or anything like that; the first thing that came to mind was World Bicycle Relief & about 30 mins later she sent me a screenshot of a £10 donation to them, which I thought was a great touch.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Got rid of a coule of sofas at the weekend. We got them for free last year but got offered some larger ones from a friend for free. They ended up going to a lady who we got a nice bean bag off a few weeks ago and she was only up the road so I didn’t mind delivering them to her. What goes around comes around and all that. Just nice to see them go a new home as they were still in good condition.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘“Free to collector”’ is closed to new replies.