Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)
  • Free tea and coffee what is all the fuss about ?
  • imnotverygood

Today I paid £1.30 for a mug of filter coffee. How much would that cost in Starbucks/Costa etc?

£1.55 with a free refill. Why do you ask?

batfink
    Free Member

I didn’t think people still drank filter coffee….

Apparently “drip coffee” (as I understand you are now supposed to call it) is where it’s at these days.

The simple solution is that the UK needs more hipsters. Everyone knows that hipsters make the best coffee. There is no way that I am letting somebody WITHOUT A BEARD OR TATTOOS make me a cup of coffee.

My local (I walk past 4 other places to go there):

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

There’s a nice restaurant near us that puts a free jug of iced water on the table. No need to buy an expensive bottle of the local spa water. It’s an outrage….where’s the address of my MP, this must be stopped.

It’s always fun to ask for “a coffee” in a costa or Starbucks, it’s as if such a drink never existed.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

oops forgot my sarcasm smiley.

The burner, chemistry set ones are very funky 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

The coffee in our Waitrose is great

No it isn’t.
    it will be over-roasted stale poor quality beans just like every other supermarket coffee. (apart from the Tesco owned Harris and Hoole where they had the wisdom to get outside advice from Taylor St Baristas Nick Tolley)

if free mediocre coffee drunk in a supermarket floats your boat then fill your boots, it will not harm high quality independents offering a quality product and better environment to drink in, it’s more likely to harm the big chains as they are offering neither a better product or a better environment apart from the chance of a seat.

cinnamon_girl

Suits me. At home I use a filter coffee machine at breakfast. I’m really not twee. 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No it isn’t.

Opps sorry, my tastes are very unsophisticated.

if free mediocre coffee drunk in a supermarket floats your boat

Yes guilty as charged, I even have instant occasionally but try to keep it quiet.

then fill your boots, it will not harm high quality independents offering a quality product and better environment to drink in, it’s more likely to harm the big chains as they are offering neither a better product or a better environment apart from the chance of a seat.

Exactly, what’s the fuss about? Poor politics to stoop to this BS. Edit: actually no it’s not, looking at google now, people lap this kind of stuff up (excuse the pun). These politicians know what floats our boats, hey?

batfink
    Free Member

Exactly, what’s the fuss about? Poor politics to stoop to this BS

bloody hell…… is this a consensus from STW?!!?

Could somebody please adopt a contrary position, or the world will literally stop on its axis

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Exactly, what’s the fuss about? Poor politics to stoop to this BS.

From – http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-26856474

David Cameron says he cannot see what all the fuss is about over Waitrose’s policy of offering customers with a loyalty card free tea and coffee.

Labour has raised concerns about the supermarket’s promotion, claiming it is hurting independent traders nearby.

But asked about the issue on a visit to Greater Manchester, the prime minister said he did not know what “people were complaining about”.

He was asked a question and answered it, looks like the concerns were already raised by labour. In this case it would have been as bad if he had given it a no comment.

Looks more like somebody is trying to stir (pun intended) this into more than it is, dropping a nice bit of “Out of touch” in there too.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Apparently “drip coffee” (as I understand you are now supposed to call it) is where it’s at these days.

most hipster cafes in london have a brew bar, mostly chemex, filter and aeropress but very few have syphon though.
    this summers coffee zeitgeist is going to be cold-brew, you heard it here first.

unknown
    Free Member

If there’s one thing worse than a coffee bore it’s…. well… er… give me a minute… there must be something…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Opps sorry, my tastes are very unsophisticated.

Well when you’re counting the pennies you can’t afford to be too fussy. Or sophisticated.

And it would be a very boring world if everyone was sophisticated.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I wonder if Chuka Umunna is considered to be as bad as CMD? There he was slapping down old Andy Sawford

“This is all, if you’ll excuse the pun, a bit of froth,” Mr Umunna said. “It doesn’t represent party policy, he is a constituency MP raising a local matter.

“Waitrose employs thousands of people and promotes the type of practices we want to promote. It is a great business.”
    Asked if he had any problem with Waitrose providing free coffee, Mr Umunna said: “I don’t have any issue with that.”

Good for him IMO. And good for Waitrose.

grum
    Free Member

Wow MrSmith is really excelling in his role this evening. 😆

MrSmith
    Free Member

i aim to inform and offend in equal measure 🙂

neil_1979
    Free Member

It’s a different thing though, if I’m shopping for a few essentials at waitrose (main weekly shop is Aldi:)) then I’ll pick up a free coffee as a kind of bonus treat. If I’m out with the family/riding then ill stop odd for a proper coffee at an independant/ main stream coffee shop to sit down, chat and enjoy it. Don’t see that the free waitrose coffees impact local business significantly. Of course if I’m out with my mates then forgot coffee, it’ll be a beer somewhere nice!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

finishthat – Member

So the prime minister shows he really is in it with all of us .
    Waitrose offer free tea and coffee and ruin the local independents and he cannot understand the problem….

So Dave and Sam , you run a small coffee shop on the high street, it keeps you , your wife and kids off benefits – maybe you can afford to hire a couple of part time staff.

Waitrose offer your customers your products for free.

3 months later the staff are laid off , next its the business rates or the mortgage ..

He is a complete sh|$t

you will be banning BOGOF’s next

Waitrose pay UK Corporation Tax? Save your rants for Starbucks/ Amazon etc

But asked about the issue on a visit to Greater Manchester, the prime minister said he did not know what “people were complaining about”.

the nuance is that there is only one Waitrose in Manchester and it doesn’t have a café 😉

alpin
    Free Member

i think the point that all of you (and Cameroooon) are missing here is that coffee is for gayers.

what is wrong with a proper cup of tea? hell, even earl grey with no milk is better than a cup of wankyfrappylatte any day of the week….

hate Starbuscks, Costa, CoffeeFellows with a passion. was in a CoffeeFellows on Sunday. we caused a disruption and were asked to leave. nothing to be prooud of perhaps, but in the context of this thread perhaps it was….

last time i was in the UK (Chelmsford, Essex for those that care/know the place) the GF and I went for a coffee (she is German and thinks she is continental/sophisticated). rather than go into Starbucks we went to a small independant place across the river.

she asked for a latte machiato, which, as any coffee **** connoisseur knows is a shot of coffee poured into a tall glass of frothy milk. what she recieved was an espresso with a drop of froth/milk in it….

if the UK independants don’t even know what sort of coffe it is meant to be serving then what hope do they have of competing against bigger (more professional?) chains?

but seriously? are you that shallow that you will go to waitrose rather than tesco because you get a free coffee? are you that cheap? do you have a job?

oh, and once again…. coffee is for gayers.

TEA FTW

alpin
    Free Member

and whatever happened to going to the pub at lunch?

and why does a cup of **** cost more than a pint of hmmmm….?

this being Schermany, when we have people round and ask if they want something to drink and ask for coffe are always surprised that i blunty refuse and offer them tea instead. what really pisses me off is when they don’t drnk their tea…. tea bags don’t grow on trees, you know…. nor do they come from the local supermartket (not a waitrose)… no, my mum has to send them over in parcels marked “RED CROSS AID” along with Marmite, Robinsons Marmelade and Hob Knobs…. not cheap.

kaffe ist für schwulen…. 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

but seriously? are you that shallow that you will go to waitrose rather than tesco because you get a free coffee? are you that cheap? do you have a job?

That’s a bit of a cheap dig at THM 😐

mikewsmith
    Free Member

6/10 Alpin you could have ragged on Facebook/twitter and blamed it all on Enduro too to show your truly too cool for school 😉

ninfan
    Free Member

Wait till Waitrose hear about this:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GceNsojnMf0[/video]

timraven

I’ve yet to have a decent cup of coffee in any coffee shop, independent or otherwise, went to one of the profusion of independents in Bath, with a proper Hipster coffee snob reputation and was even more disappointed /overcharged than previously.

Make it yourself, if you want to be robbed go to a coffee shop. 😉

alpin
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

6/10 Alpin you could have ragged on Facebook/twitter and blamed it all on Enduro too to show your truly too cool for school

thanks for the marking, but i wasn’t trying… i just don’t get this fairly recent obsession with coffee…

bacon’n egg sandwich with coffee tea.

shepherd’s pie, beans and coffee tea

coffee tea and biscuits.

“ohhh… your mum’s just died after being killed by a run away elephant. i’ll put the kettle on and have a nice cup of coffee tea.”

doesn’t work, does it? the british empire was built on tea. you know why the french failed in conquering the world? because they are a bunch of coffee ponces… too worried about their caffine.

same goes for the italians… bunch of flooosies. “eeeyyy… ciao (touches testicles. i wanna a cappucino (readjustes testicles).”

and since when can you not call a coffee drinker a waynker?

alpin
    Free Member

oh, and fuc&k all the ipsters with their wankyskinnychinos, beards and faux “this means something to me” **** tatts.

RustySpanner

British people pretending to enjoy coffee is, at best, hilarious.

Indulging your perversion in one of those faux American, overpriced chain ‘Coffee Shops’ is particularly sad, especially when done by the kind of unaware, self obsessed knobster who wouldn’t go near a McDonalds and never wastes a chance to inform you of the fact.

Genetically and culturally, we’re not suited to coffee.

Those of Italian or American descent have some excuse, but for everyone else it’s an affectation, a rejection of one’s birthright and a sure indication of a wrong ‘un.
    Try wearing boxing gloves to bed, have a cold bath and see a doctor.

And stay away from my daughters.

alpin
    Free Member

Rusty, you said it better than me, but then again I have drunk 4 beers and one bottle of red….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

nice casual racism there Rusty & Alpin 🙂 Generalisations and stereotypes, you might be onto something if it wasn’t for the turgid crap most people serve up as tea, designed for those with no taste buds, probably 20 a day smokers and the like.

batfink
    Free Member

Could somebody please adopt a contrary position, or the world will literally stop on its axis

Excellent work from Alpin and RS – balance is restored to the universe.

Top quality trolling

RustySpanner

mikewsmith – Member

nice casual racism there Rusty

Where?
    Please, point it out.

chewkw
    Free Member

The majority of the coffee being served by the cafes in GeordieLand tend to be rather hot ash water like with blunt taste. I mean you get one shot of coffee with so much water there is hardly coffee taste at all. I will be bringing some coffee beans in soon to sell to the local cafe so let’s see if people will like them. Also some tea …

Oh ya … surprise surprise the Starbuck coffee actually is better than most in the GeordieLand and I hardly drink coffee at Starbuck at all (only a few times just to compare).

🙄

coffeeking
    Free Member

Indeed, most coffee shops serve horrible coffee. Including waitrose, Costa and SB,and MANY independents. Anyone good at their job is losing nothing, only those who try to compete with mediocrity.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Where?
    Please, point it out.

Laughing at a race for drinking coffee
    suggesting that certain groups of people based on country of origin are somehow suited to partaking in a certain beverage.

It’s a bit like saying all trolls live under bridges.

RustySpanner

A little mild xenophobia and a possibly a slight generalisation, but racism? 🙂
    I am wounded beyond measure.
    Are the British a distinct race?
    Of course not.

I live in a bungalow.
    With an upstairs.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

as serious as your serious comments 😉

RustySpanner

I know mate.
    🙂

finishthat
    Free Member

Lots of little or no imagination here either , its no big thing in somewhere the size of Manchester , it is in small towns .
    Interesting that folks mention legislation and “banning” when its
    actually just about being a good business which Waitrose normally does a reasonable job of.
    On a lighter note would Tesco dare make the same offer ?
    Can you imagine the results (not commercial)

binners

Whats a Waitrose? Is it like an Asda for people who marketing departments refer to as ‘aspirational ‘? I looked it up on the internets, and it just came up with this…

jonba
    Free Member

Think I need some help from a coffee snob. I’ve had some nice cups of coffee in various places* but don’t really like watered down espresso. If I just want a drink I usually ask for filter coffee. Cappuchinos and Lattes are acceptable but not something I want to drink everytime.

Is there an acceptable thirst quenching drink, should I order an espresso and a glass of water or a nice pot of tea?

*Vietnamese coffee with the hints of chocolate is amazing but my stash has run out and it is a bit pricey to go get some more.

binners

Have any of the coffee snobs tried this place…

They’re everywhere. Not just in scenic southern market towns. Best coffee anywhere to my (admittedly uneducated) palette. Its cheaper because people who do manual jobs, in vans with tracksuits go there. And women in leggings. I know, I know… how frightful. And there are primary colours, and children covered in tomato ketchup, and stuff. And there aren’t many people with beards, staring with furrowed brows into the screen of a Macbook Pro.

But on the plus side, they do sausage and egg McMuffins which when combined with the above liquid are the Krytonite of hangover cures. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Free tea and coffee what is all the fuss about ?’ is closed to new replies.