Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Frame scratches, repair before Heli tape?
  • hayes
    Free Member

As above

Picked up a new bike, 2015 Giant Trance

Love it so far, only done a couple of 15mile rides but loving it

Thing is the frame is matte black, and the previous owner ,although rarely used the bike, has scratched the frame.
    It’s got scuff marks on the top tube on the sides – maybe from a car rack?
    And a few scratches to non drive side chain stay
    And a small chip on downtube.

I plan on Heli taping the whole frame to keep it best condition I can, but can I repair these scuffs/scratches before I tape? Will it be worth it?
    Ive looked up how to repair, and people have mentioned painting in a scratch with flat black paint (which I have, for model painting) or even sharpie pen, but there’s far too many scratches to paint in I think

cynic-al
    Free Member

Won’t make any difference.

Ride it rather than looking at it

cookeaa

It’s a mountain bike, a used mountain bike and it’s supposed to be a little “weathered”…

Touch ups and heli-tape are for poseurs confusing their mountain bike with their German touring estate, and thinking it’s “residual value” matters…

If you must prettify it to hide any signs of use, before flipping it on via eBay or PB just get it powdercoated…

hayes
    Free Member

So I shouldn’t bother Heli taping my shoes and tires aswell?

Aaaah man i thought I could ride around like a model from the manufacturer website ):

nickdavies

Love it so far, only done a couple of 15mile rides but loving it

Ever looked at it while riding it? Crack on and use it. Helitape any bits where cable rub is causing the scuffs or could wear a bit, and don’t worry about the rest.

andyl
    Free Member

helitape key areas where cables can rub, clamps will grip and areas that are likely to get stone chips (ie down the bottom of the downtube) and that is it. Helitape has it’s uses to protect those areas, marks on other areas are mementos from every ride.

Duffer
    Free Member

A few scuffs here and there are simply where the bike has earned stripes of promotion. As others have said; it’s for riding, not looking at.

mudsoul
    Free Member

helitape key areas where cables can rub, clamps will grip and areas that are likely to get stone chips (ie down the bottom of the downtube) and that is it. Helitape has it’s uses to protect those areas, marks on other areas are mementos from every ride.

This. A few strategically placed patches of helitape is all you need to protect against cable rub wear, which can get pretty bad. Otherwise don’t bother.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Frame scratches, repair before Heli tape?’ is closed to new replies.