Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Frame advice On-One 456 Carbon.
  • steveo48
    Free Member

What do you think to On-One 456 carbon hardtail frames. Those that do have one, what’s your thoughts and what do they look like built up. Pics appreciated. Thing of getting one!
    Cheers
    Steve

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I like mine. It rides well, it’s light, it’s cheap.
    Not without it’s faults though (centered around fitting certain Rock Shox tapered steerer forks and the silly short head tube)
    It’s got quite a ‘muted’ feel from the rear end, which seems to smooth out the bumps a bit, but otherwise, it’s ‘just a bike’ really.
    The standard stickers mine came with are gopping, so I had some made up, which are faaaar better.
    The frame is ugly in the pics but looks far nicer built up, IMO. It looses the ‘fatness’ from the BB area, visually.

Ive changed the forks (150mm Revelations) and brakes since this pic, and it now weighs a real 25.5lb…. And that’s still got cheap bars, seatpost and a Deore crankset on it!

IMG_0864 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

IMG_0859 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

pickle
    Free Member

love mine! and the ones they’re doing in matt black for £299 at the moment are a steal! 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

tough as hell but silly light for what it is. Buy one while you can at £299.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Plain black is THE best colour. FACT.

julioflo
    Free Member

Holyheadtubes!
    Just realised how short they look. Not sure I could live with that many spacers…

bellerophon
    Free Member

Quick hi-jack; have any of you experienced chainsuck with this frame? A mate is looking at one, but having just had a bit of chainsuck with his steel 456 he’s just wondering if the c456 suffers it???

Ta

pickle
    Free Member

no not yet…..my steel one did though

tobysdad
    Free Member

For the price and the weight, they seem to be a steal. I haven’t ridden one yet but I’m thinking of getting the 456 Carbon frame with the rockshox for £600. If I’m 6ft1 would an 18 size frame be right?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Quick hi-jack; have any of you experienced chainsuck with this frame?

No, not really. I know about OO chainsuck too, I killed my 853 Inbred chainstay with it!
    The C456 had more chainring clearance, thank god!

bellerophon
    Free Member

Cheers Peter, that’s interesting that there’s more clearance, I’ll pass it on….

muppet4
    Free Member

I love mine. No chain suck yet,I would like to reduce travel to 130 mm though. 23lb exactly:-) makes it very quick

P20

I like Mine. I had a steel one before it and the handling was good, but the ride and weight weren’t. The carbon gets around these two problems. I have had problems with chainsuck, buts that’s down to useless chainrings rather than the frame design. I had a beer can wrapped around the chain stay and the chain went straight through it. I put another one on from a steel can with ribs, went straight through that too. I’ve now got a k-edge chainsuck device, but I’ve had to lose the inner ring as it fouled the bolts, the steel can on the stays and a lot of zip ties.

Would I recommend one? Yes. Light. Comfortable, nice handling

On-one Carbon 456 by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve had chainsuck so made my own K-edge out of an E-type mech hanger. But also had problems with the granny wheel bolts to time for Mk II which is all composite.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Yes I had chainsuck on mine – could have been worn or dirty drivetrain though

Northwind

I’m very impressed with mine… I never really got on with the steel 456, it just feels dead and uninspiring, capable though. But the C456 somehow has that play factor that the steel one doesn’t. (it doesn’t remind me at all of the steel one really, but it does remind me a lot of my old Soul). The value for money is pretty ridiculous.

OTOH, it’s pretty ugly, and I’m a wee bit nervous of chainsuck damage- the chainstay’s overbuilt for that reason but a chainsuck plate would be nice insurance. The clear finish is a little bit soft, it scratches easily. But that’s so trivial compared to all the plus points

kevin1911

I love mine. Best hardtail I’ve had since my 2000 Zaskar, and I’ve tried quite a few frames: Cove Stiffee, SC Cameleon, Ragley mmmBop, Rock Lobster -52, Kinesis Phase

Can’t recommend it highly enough. £299 is too good to not buy one.

The only thing I’d be aware of is the finish on those frames – I think it’s raw carbon. I.e. not the nice woven look of some carbon frames, but as if someone has taken sandpaper to it. It’s a marmite thing. Mine is a painted one, nice black gloss with green features – a bit like Muppets up there ^.

There was a thread last week talking about the finish.

EDIT: Here is the thread: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/onone-are-a-bloodynightmare

DOUBLE EDIT – I could be wrong about the finish on those sale frames. Worth checking

Dino
    Free Member

Recently bought one about 6 weeks go for a winter bike and built up with old bits off an old yeti frame i have.
    Great fun light, stiff but not too stiff in the rear and decends really well, like the other guy’s say for the money you cant go wrong. i would buy a painted one as the naked carbon one is an aquired taste.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66111316@N03/sets/72157627429935890/with/6041660266/

cynic-al
    Free Member

AWESOME!

SHITE!

Which do you believe ❓

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Frame advice On-One 456 Carbon.’ is closed to new replies.