• This topic has 57 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Alex.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • FOX X2 issues
  • escrs
    Free Member

Im running a FOX X2 rear shock on my bike

I bought it from TFTuned in Dec 2019 for £700, due to the pandemic it didnt get much use till the middle of 2021

In April 2022 it had done under 80 hours and had a fault (leaking air)

Sent it to TFTuned for repair and was told its not coverered under warranty and it needed a new inner air can amongst other things, £300 later all fixed and back with me

Roll forward 4 months to August 2022, its done around 35 hours and it has now has a oil leak

The leak is acutally a pin prick hole in the cast alloy section where the rebound and compression knobs are housed

I contacted TFTuned who have basically said its out of warranty and id be looking at around £400 to fix

So that makes it £700 in repairs in 4 months on a shock that cost £700 just over 2 1/2 years ago and has done a total of 115 hours

Anyone else had this much issue with a Fox X2?

Wondering if its worth fixing again or look at another make of shock instead

sharkattack

Sounds like my X2. I had it rebuilt 4 times in 4 years.

I no longer own any Fox suspension.

poah
    Free Member

Look at another shock. What bike?

chakaping
    Free Member

I had a couple from a similar vintage and they were largely fine, think one needed warranty work for a blown seal early on.

I’d be gutted to be in your situation though. They seem to have a terrible rep these days though.

the00
    Free Member

Seems like the newer (not sure if current) X2 have a terrible reputation for reliability. Don’t know of the specific issues, sorry.

a11y

X2s do seem to have multiple issues. I had mine serviced due to the usual squelchy noise they develop, then ‘retired’ it one ride after getting it back in favour of a more robust coil shock. I wasn’t willing to roll the dice on continuing to use it and the potential for more issues.

What bike is it for? If you’re happy switching to coil, for the £400 you’re mentioning to repair the X2 again you could get a Cane Creek DB Coil in-line. That’s what I chose. Initially considered the Marz Bomber CR coil but TF Tuned warned against it due to the alloy shaft and my bike being prone to putting sideways load on the shock (hence Cane Creek with steel shaft instead).

escrs
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies

Bike is A Spesh Levo e-mtb, coil shock is a no no on the Levo, they tend to snap the shafts!

Can get good deals on DVO suspension through a friend but then i have to deal with the anno green parts on their shocks which wont go with the rest of the bike plus my forks, broken X2 and seatpost all have Kashima coating so would like to keep it all the same

Have emailed Silverfish and waiting to see what they say

RickDraper
    Free Member

Levos can be quite hard on shocks. Is the oil coming from around the area of the bleed screw? They do crack in that area.

I wouldn’t recommend a DVO on one of these bikes.

SQUIT THE BED! £1400 ON A FOX SHOCK that has seen minimal use.

I’d be in this case composing a letter to Fox Shox UK issuing that it was never produced in factory properly and therefore faulty.

Tftuned sound like a joke too tbf.

Then with refund choose a custom shock.

bigyan
    Free Member

From a workshop point of view (doing suspension service);

I see a lot of squelchy X2s (air in oil)

Specialized yoke linkages are shock killers

X2 casting leaks are a known issue

Fox warranty is 2 years from DOP, through Silverfish in the UK. Needs to be returned to them for warranty inspection, they will not send out warranty parts. Minimum specified service intervals are 125h or annually, whatever comes first. Also a lovely little add on that if you ride DH etc or in the wet/muddy/dry/dusty more regular maintenance will be required

munkyboy
    Free Member

Is the warranty not 1 year? (developing odd noises on a barely used 15month old x2 and worrying)

joebristol

I thought dvo were good for yoke driven shocks – that’s why they’re specced (coil and air) on the Ripmo af. The coil has a 14mm shaft vs 9mm on say a Fox DHX2.

Cane creek Kitsuma air is decent – that’s black and gold – although I think only Fox have a kashima stanchion on shocks.

On the transition pages on Pinkbike / fb there are loads of Fox problems – and none of those have a yoke driven shock. X2 and Float X often having to go back with a knocking noise – but the X2 being the most problematic. No issues with the Rockshox specced options or coils.

argee

Have an X2 on my ebike, it has been fixed once due to the air in oil issue, it’s not the plushest and can see it failing again, it’s why i went with an Ohlins TTX air on the other bike, just too many reliability issues with the X2 these days.

bomble
    Free Member

Ohlins coil is fine for a Levo.

chakaping
    Free Member

Cane creek Kitsuma air

I’d consider one of these if you need to stick with an air shock, but perhaps Rick knows if they’d be a good choice for your Levo?

b33k34

and should be covered by sale-of-goods act – that’s ‘not fit for purpose’ as far as I’m concerned. The various air can/shaft/other issues can all legitimately be usage issues but surely if the casting is poor enough that it leaks that should be a no questions asked replacement.

bigyan
    Free Member

Is the warranty not 1 year? (developing odd noises on a barely used 15month old x2 and worrying)

1 year in the US, 2 years in the UK (I assume due to CRA or similar). If you have proof of purchase I would send it to Silverfish.

and should be covered by sale-of-goods act – that’s ‘not fit for purpose’ as far as I’m concerned. The various air can/shaft/other issues can all legitimately be usage issues but surely if the casting is poor enough that it leaks that should be a no questions asked replacement.

You would probably need claim from the retailer under CRA 2015, rather than the manufacturers warranty, so might need to go small claims if the retailer disputes.

Alex

On my Giga, the X2 lasted less than 200 miles before suffering the squelch/graunch symptoms. Went back to Silverfish and was returned within a week with a new damper shaft. Since then it’s been okay but it’s still pretty noisy and it doesn’t feel as good as I’d expect from a high end air shock. Hard to know without trying something else.

I’m 90% sure I’m getting Sprung to build me a new RS Coil with a EXT spring. I’ll keep both but the extra weight isn’t going to make much difference on that bike so if I like the coil ( and I’ve always liked coil sprung bikes), I’ll probably just leave it on. Decision really is we’re off to Molini in a month or so and I really don’t trust the X2!

honourablegeorge

@alex – been to Molini before?

Alex

@honourablegeorge nope but two of our friends who we’re going with have. They really rate it. Went to Finale a few years ago. It rained all week so I’m hoping for something a bit drier! Have you been? Looks a great area, pretty quiet compared to Finale.

chakaping
    Free Member

I blew my shock on day 2 of a Molini holiday IIRC, fortunately I’d taken a spare (as it was one of the original notoriously unreliable CCDB Inline air units).

Alex

Thanks @chapaking – that’s helping me make the ‘RIGHT’ decision 🙂

SirHC

On the transition pages on Pinkbike / fb there are loads of Fox problems

I’d be checking the alignment, trunnion mount is a truly epically shit idea. Its taken 50% of the compliance that a double bushing shock would have.

Quite why companies arn’t mounting shocks on sphericals in this day and age is a mystery*. Removes a lot of the issues of side loading and tolerance issues, shocks last longer. The EXT on my G1 did two years and a lot of riding without a single issue, only serviced out of sympathy!!!

*probably due to laziness and not wanting to make reliable products, which are structurally sound.

deviant
    Free Member

Fox suspension always feels great but has the build quality of something cheap & nasty – I always go for Rockshox because I like it to work and not need constant maintenance – honourable mention to X-Fusion, I ran a fork & shock on a Trance I built from frame only and it was great, solidly built, no leaks etc.

X-Fusion are a real underdog in suss world though can confirm having had a velvet rl2 and a coil shock and coil RV1 fork with roughcut damper that they are excellent performance for the money or lack of spending out on more “seen to be premium” products from others.

PJM1974
    Free Member

SQUIT THE BED! £1400 ON A FOX SHOCK that has seen minimal use.

I’d be in this case composing a letter to Fox Shox UK issuing that it was never produced in factory properly and therefore faulty.

A whole truckload of this ^.

If that were my shock, I’d be very, very upset and would be politely – but firmly – explaining to Fox/Silverfish that any future purchases of Fox suspension kit will be wholly dependent upon their satisfactorily handling this matter.

desperatebicycle

Fox suspension always feels great but has the build quality of something cheap & nasty

I think there’s a few million people like me who’ve been running Fox Shox without any issues for the last 30odd years who’d disagree, but hey-ho one faulty shock probably does mean they are all cheap rubbish.

OP – tried the actual distributor for Fox Shox? https://www.silverfish-uk.com/contentpage/fox
    could message them here https://www.facebook.com/ridefoxuk

Does one read a op these dayz lol

sharkattack

Does one read a op these dayz lol

It’s standard practice to read the thread title then go straight to reply isn’t it?

Also one person’s good experience means everyone else who experiences a common and well documented fault is on a crazy witch hunt.

See also, people who have Shimano brakes which work perfectly and can’t see what everyone else’s problem is.

🤣

joebristol

I’d be checking the alignment, trunnion mount is a truly epically shit idea. Its taken 50% of the compliance that a double bushing shock would have.

You maybe right, but it’s literally only Fox shocks that seem to be having issues from what I’ve read. No dramas with RockShox models.

My float x has been ok as has my cane creek Kitsuma coil so far. Although on the coil I don’t think the frame is progressive enough for me from my experience so far (24%).

Alex

Update:  I managed to convince myself that a week’s trip to Molini was more than enough justification for:

Giga gets a new shock :)

It feels fantastically plush. Proper ride in the next day or so. But look at it, thing of beauty.

I’m going to tell my wife the bike was stolen and this is how it came back 🙂 Might need a slightly lighter spring. Comes with 2, even if Mojo decided to send me two of the same one 😉

Alex

I’m keeping the X2 for now. Not sure it’ll ever go back on tho.

singlespeedstu

@Alex.
    Who’s a lucky boy then.😁
    You’ll not regret that choice.
    Or going to Molini.

You lucky bastard.

Shirley you can drop by on a ride and get the spring swapped over?

Alex

Indeed I am @singlespeedstu 🙂 I bought it from Sprung in the Forest so I’ll either go back there or pop into Mojo. Having shifted the bike into the other setting on the flip chip and tried with a backpack, I think it’s going to be closer to (the recommended) 30% than I thought when trying it at Sprung.

I am *quite* looking forward to going to Molini 🙂

singlespeedstu

I’m making myself feel better by remembering how much the church bells in Molini kept me awake all night.😉
    Riding was **** brilliant though so well worth it.

I’d go and see the lads at Mojo myself for the spring swap and any further setup.
    They really are a very helpful bunch.

Alex

Fair enough. They are extremely local 🙂

My ability to sleep through everything up and including a minor earthquake is helpful here. My snoring apparently less so.

singlespeedstu

Ask them for a pair of nylon spring shims while you’re there.
    Stops any noise from the coil rubbing on the spring perches as it compresses.

honourablegeorge

Alex

@honourablegeorge
    nope but two of our friends who we’re going with have. They really rate it. Went to Finale a few years ago. It rained all week so I’m hoping for something a bit drier! Have you been? Looks a great area, pretty quiet compared to Finale.

Like Finale, but with 1600m descending in 1 run and no brake bumps.

Are you guiding with Luca?

singlespeedstu

I’m making myself feel better by remembering how much the church bells in Molini kept me awake all night.

LOL, yeah – there’s nine churches or something mental, isn’t there?

singlespeedstu

Every 15 minutes from what I remember coming from all directions.😫

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.