Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Fox Rear Shock – Rebound Tune?
  • chris_db
    Free Member

So what’s the difference between M and L Rebound Tune?

My Canyon Nerve AM came with an L tune RP2 and I came upon a kashima RP23 with the same settings apart from the rebound. Original shock was L this one is M – will I notice any difference?

Chris

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Yes. In a word.

Why are you changing?

Do you normally ride with the shock (propedal) locked on or off? Just curious.

What are you trying to fix – in other words?

chris_db
    Free Member

I tend to ride with the propedal on – I swapped over to the RP23 because I was under the impression it was a better shock.

So what difference will it make?

coatesy
    Free Member

L stands for low, M stands for medium. A medium rebound tune will return from compression slower than a low tune.Rebound is normally adjustable, so you may be able to tune it in to a setting that suits you, not everybody wants the same settings on their bike anyway.

ruscle
    Free Member

Pro pedal supports the shock more through the stroke so you don’t just blow through the travel. Only works when pro pedal is on. The tune difference on the rebound just means that it will rebound slower in a given setting. If you imagine a scale 1-10 (1 being fast 10 being the slowest rebound) L tune will go from ranges 1-5, M will go from 3-7 and F will go from 5-10. Generally you want your shock to rebound as slowly as you can get away with, and a medium setting on a Kashima shock is a good thing as its so slippery it will rebound quicker so the medium will nearly be a match for the L setting on your RP2.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Well this is a can of worms I guess. But I’ll take the bait.

Generally – the manufacturer’s tune is a real good starting point. Some frames dont need any pro pedal whatsits – others do. If you find yourself turning on “lockout” then start by talking with Mojo/ Loco etc.

The only frames I’ve had that benefited from the rp23 variable propedal were single pivot’s (yeti and commencal in my world). Your Canyon should plough up a hill with sweet FA difference between a RP2 / 23.

Once “unlocked” there is no difference imo.

chris_db
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, reckon I understand it now (:0)

Chris

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Fox Rear Shock – Rebound Tune?’ is closed to new replies.