Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fox Float R air can service – help please!
  • robinbetts
    Free Member

Hi knowledgeable bike mechanics,

After my LBS informed me that I should be doing an air can service on my forks and rear shock every few months, and after they assured me it was really easy, I bought some Fox Float Fluid and after looking for some instructions on the net I've set to it. Found loads of instructions for the rear shock, but only this link for forks http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/workshop-service-the-seals-on-your-fox-32-fork-25020

Problem is, I've got as far as trying to remove the lowers, but they aren't budging. Have I missed anything…???

Done plenty of bike maintenance, but never touched shocks before, so please don't mock me too much…

Should I have let all the air out (it didn't say so, I don't think), or released anything on the top of the fork?

Thanks in advance.

R

mrfrosty
    Free Member

Have a look on the mojo website, vid clip of fork foam seal service. I think you need to tap the base studs to free the lowers. No need to let the air out or do anything to the top of forks

robinbetts
    Free Member

Thanks for the tip, can't find that vid though on the mojo site. Can only see one for the rear shock. Got a url?

robinbetts
    Free Member

Ok… on side is freed, but the other (side with the rebound) is not budging. How hard should this "tap" be? Don't want to break anything!

coatesy
    Free Member

Got to be fairly hard, the forks will move and make it more difficult. I try to use a drift as it's less likely to damage the threads than hitting it directly(also damaged a nut that way too.)

robinbetts
    Free Member

Ok, getting a bit late now, but the forks are done! Thanks for the tips again. They did just need a bit more of a tap!

Next question thought… the rear shock… I've unscrewed the bolts but it won't come out. Should it just lift out of the frame, or am I missing something again? Orange website is very vague an seems to refer mainly to an older design.

Thanks again!

(Orange 5 2009 by the way)

travellingman
    Free Member

Hi Robin,

Don't know your bike/frame but logic suggests it should just 'lift out' after all of the bolts have been removed. You need to deflate the shock to service, so that won't hurt.

Aside from that, show it who's boss or if feeling nervous get in touch with Orange!

spooky_b329

Give it a good smack, its capable of carrying you down a rocky track so don't worry about a little heavy treatment 🙂

coatesy
    Free Member

The shock's often a tight fit in the frame, but just to be sure before you start hitting it, you have got the sleeves out as well as the four bolts(they normally come out with the bolts, but occasionally get stuck).Another tip is to unscrew the can whilst it's on the bike so you can grip it(let the air out first, and no need to remove the bushes either, they're narrow enough for the can to slide over), and re-fit it attached to the bike so you can easily compress it whilst screwing it on(try it off the bike and you'll see why).EDIT-Bikewhisperer's got it on your other post.

hitman
    Free Member

Another tip is to unscrew the can whilst it's on the bike so you can grip it

+1

LoCo
    Free Member

pop the rebound on full slow for refitting the air can, compress damper and then fit air can while still compressed, with top end of the shock bolted in the frame that is.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fox Float R air can service – help please!’ is closed to new replies.