Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Fox 34 Talas CTD upgrade..or get rid?
  • Paul-B

Hi all!

I’ve got a set of what turns out to be the worst possible fork of modern times the 2013 Fox 34 CTD Talas. Now, this fork was mated up to a Cube Stereo 160 and to be honest I think my riding style combined with the performance of the back end masked just what a pile sh*t this fork is. I’ve now swapped the frame for a Stanton Switchback. The switch to a hardtail has basically highlighted the short comings and after a session at BPW left me unable to hold on to the bars properly after 7 runs or so. The thing acts like a rigid fork until you take a big hit where it just dives.

Anyway, spoke to J-Tech earlier today and he suggested an Andreani piston upgrade along with a switch to a Float damper and full service. This little lot comes in at nearly £300.

Just wondering if anyone had any experiences with this upgrade or am I better off trying to punt the fork (not that it’s worth much) and buying something else?

Cheers

andysredmini
    Free Member

Before you do anything else try adding extra float oil (5mm at a time) to the air chamber which will reduce the air volume. This allows some people to lower the pressure slightly without bottoming out so easily. It achieves the same as adding tokens on newer forks
    Or so I read on the internet.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Fox now offer a 2016 float NA airspring upgrade for this fork. I’d consider this along with seeing if mojo could upgrade the damper to 2015 specification.

DO NOT try what the above poster says.

goodgrief
    Free Member

Sounds like a good price for the upgrade. The chassis is decent and like you say, wouldn’t fetch much in the classifieds.

I’m very drawn to the Avalanche kits as I have one on the DH bike but they’re more expensive even before you get into the shipping and customs charges.

baddddad
    Free Member

I was in the same position as you (and had the same arm destroying experience at BPW). Bought some 2nd hand pikes for £350 and sold the Fox for £150

The difference is unbelievable.

chakaping
    Free Member

Normally I’d suggest selling the fork (which sounds like it needs a service anyway) and buying a Pike, but the piston upgrade sounds very appealing

badlydrawnchalk
    Free Member

My 34 talas is at mojo now getting the fit4 upgrade and the new retro fit air spring (similar to that of the new 34 and 36) I’m anticipating a complety new fork. I’ll let you know how it is when I get it back!

somafunk

I have a 2013 fox talas ctd 140mm and it was the crappiest pos ever which considering it cost me £900 pissed me off, I only used it for 2 weeks as it used to dive through it’s travel with ease and even riding along on the road it would be sunk right through it’s travel, i played about with the air pressure to such an extent that instead of the 80psi that was recommended for my weight i eventually found i was using 110 psi which played havoc with small bump sensitivity. I eventually sent it to mojo and they fitted a ctd damper from the 2014 model and did a few other mods to the air chamber.

Did it work?, ever so slightly improved but i still felt that it sunk into the travel far to easy so i removed it and fitted my rigid carbon syncros fork instead – much happier.

So i’ve got a mint, 2013 non tapered fox 32 talas kashima 140mm/110mm with upgraded CTD – less than 20hrs use all in so as it’s practically worthless these days i’m keeping it till 15 years have passed and it’ll be considered retro.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Why shouldn’t he do what I suggested? Just curious.

RickDraper
    Free Member

andysredmini it’s a Talas not a float.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Still has an air chamber on top of the left leg. What’s the reason why you shouldn’t do it on a talas? A quick google suggests loads of people do it.

andysredmini
    Free Member

A Google search even turned up this thread about talas
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fox-34-ctd-fork-setup

Which contains this from LoCo

LoCo – Member
    Put more float fluid in the air chamber start at and extra 5ml, to get the air spring to be more progressive I.E for support in the mid and end stroke.
    have a look at the setup guide too: http://locotuning.co.uk/tech-info.html
    There is also the ‘trail’ upgrade which give a harder threshold setting.

RickDraper
    Free Member

On a 2014 with new talas I would do that but not a 2013.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Why not on the 2013? Plenty of people seem to do it without a problem.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Because of the way the talas works on that fork. It would migrate faster into the other chambers and end up having the opposite effect to what you are trying to achieve.

Paul-B

Thanks for the input guys.

I’m going to give Mojo a shout and see what they recommend too. J-Tech get some good feedback and are fairly local to me. I’m keeping an eye on the classifieds etc. to see if any Pikes come up for the right price.

I understand that the 34 Talas will take a spacer to reduce travel too? I’ll probably run them at 140mm as Stanton recommend rather than 160mm

sv

I had the 2014 version of those and yes utter rubbish. Sold mine and bought a set of Manitou Mattocs, fantastic fork – runs about half the psi of the talas! Damping and HBO are superb.

RickDraper
    Free Member

I understand that the 34 Talas will take a spacer to reduce travel too? I’ll probably run them at 140mm as Stanton recommend rather than 160mm

Only in the newer talas can you reduce the travel. On the talas you have it’s not possible.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Having owned 2014 Talas CTD 150 on a Bronson & now 2016 FIT4 the difference is night & day, the new forks are very supportive & easy to tune, TFT do a upgrade as do mojo & a few mates have had it done with good results but if your fork is showing signs of age wear etc is it worth putting good money into a fork that is on it’s way out? I’d get rid of the talas though unless you do mahoosive climbs regularly.

Paul-B

Don’t think the fork is on its way out necessarily. I was more concerned about trying to polish a turd! Spending money on it to make it only marginally better is a bit of a waste.
    It’s also easier to get a fork upgrade past the missus whereas big boxes arriving in the post rouse suspicion lol

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Friends that have had upgrades done have got rid of the Talas for some reason & converted to normal Float. Personally I wouldn’t use talas but each to there own, sure if the fork is in good condition go for it can only improve things Paul B & you got to keep slipping biking goodies past the missus, a mate even gets me to source things now & then for him & pays me cash !! stealth buying.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Fox 34 Talas CTD upgrade..or get rid?’ is closed to new replies.