Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 1,018 total)
  • Forum House of Commons vote on air strikes in Syria – which way will you vote?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As long as he doesn’t ask every bloody day how he should do it.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Wait, did Renton plan the Paris attacks to ensure he’d get a new job?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Jambabolix strikes again as I predicted a 75 majority just a 1 out, 175. I doubt the government will have a clearer majority throughout the life of the Parliament

Seems roughly 1/3rd of Laboir MPs voted in favour. Hilary Benns speech widely praised, interesting he compared them to fascists, I imagine Daesh would see themselves as very egalitarian – provided you are a member of the club. The “educational” classes in Luton which Vicenews filmed showed young women being told housing is allocated purely based on need, size of family etc

jambalaya
    Free Member

The Labour Party are in such a shambles they are unable to be anything but the center of the story. That plus the fact that very many people understand Corbyn and McDonald to be terrorist sympathisers, IRA, Hezbolah, Hamas. MacDonald might have tried to apologise on Question Time but only the die hard leftists will have been impressed with that.

Labour have landed no blows on Cameron. Post the debate I saw more Sky airtime from the SNP than Labour “No” supporters

outofbreath
    Free Member

AIUI SNP whipped against.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Ed Milliband voted against.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Jambabolix strikes again as I predicted a 75 majority just a 1 out, 175

Well done 100 out and predicting the thing that was only going to take place if he could win was a win.

Any chance of the lottery numbers this week 😉

only the die hard leftists will have been impressed with that.

indeed no one is more dogmatic or insistent or as deluded on this issue as them. 😕

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Seems roughly 1/3rd of Laboir MPs voted in favour.

I see, it’s not just Labour Party members who were opposed to bombing Syria, even two thirds of the Parliamentary Labour Party were also opposed.

So it turns out that one of Corbyn’s principle opinions which he is renowned for, ie opposition to bombing, is shared not only by the majority of the Labour Party but also by the majority of Labour MPs.

Not quite what some people have been saying ever since he first announced his bid to become leader of the Labour Party.

And it also turns out that Cameron had to rely on the usual Blairite right-wing New Labour pointless MPs to save him from humiliation.

I think there’s a lesson we can all learn there.

outofbreath
    Free Member

two thirds of the Parliamentary Labour Party were also opposed. … I think there’s a lesson we can all learn there.

Yes, the lesson is a capable Labour leader would have prevented UK jets bombing the other side of the line.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I can’t find the whole speech but here’s the final 1:24 of Benn. Corbyn looks distinctly grumpy by the end 8)

[video]http://youtu.be/9tgeswg85ak[/video]

copa
    Free Member

I can’t find the whole speech but here’s the final 1:24 of Benn. Corbyn looks distinctly grumpy by the end

As a supporter of an extremist group who believes in the killing of civilians to further their aims – I’m sure you’re elated tonight.

mefty
    Free Member

And it also turns out that Cameron had to rely on the usual Blairite right-wing New Labour pointless MPs to save him from humiliation.

Actually the LibDems and the DUP got him there, needed no help from Labour to win but obviously he felt a large majority was important.

chewkw
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    I can’t find the whole speech but here’s the final 1:24 of Benn. Corbyn looks distinctly grumpy by the end

Opps … think he might be the next “king” with that speech.

The stuart might have to relinquish his comfortable seat soon by the looks of things. 😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

obviously he felt a large majority was important.

Can you imagine the humiliation of winning the vote by just one or two, despite having a comfortable majority in the House of Commons?

Just as well for Cameron that the usual Blairite right-wing New Labour pointless MPs, along of course with the pointless LibDem MPs, where there to save him from humiliation.

mefty
    Free Member

That is a new definition of comfortable majority to me.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The government has a working majority of 17, that’s a comfortable majority imo.

You are of course free to call it a wafer-thin majority if you prefer.

Poopscoop

There is a small but definite possibility that Cameron does Corbyn’s job for him eventually.

If this goes bad in Syria or is used as the “reason” a major terrorist attack takes place in the UK he is going to face some extremely inconvenient questions about his leadership.

Also why after its become pretty clear that the whole middle east is basically “toxic” as far as western intervention is concerned…. and the absolute mess Iraq and Afghanistan turned into… he fought SO HARD to drag us into another conflict.

Just one Tornado going down and 2 pilots being paraded online before being beheaded could easily bring him down.

God forbid that any UK citizens or Forces personnel lose their life just to humble that idiot though!

DrJ

Corbyn and McDonald

Jamba – at some point are you going to learn the name of the Shadow Chancellor ?

epicyclo

Is this all true?

mattjg
    Free Member

So the RAF has bombed some oilfields, in order to reduce Daeash’s income, that they couldn’t have bombed yesterday due to being the wrong side of an arbitrary line in the sand.

That’s been a disaster then!

binners

Everyones crowing on about Benn’s speech and how pissed off Jezza was, but Dave’ll be the one party leader the most pissed off. He was deprived of his ‘We Will Fight Them on the Beaches….’ moment by the son of a bloody commie!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So the RAF has bombed some oilfields, in order to reduce Daeash’s income, that they couldn’t have bombed yesterday due to being the wrong side of an arbitrary line in the sand.

Well without their revenue from oil I can’t see how they can carry out a terrorist atrocity in a European city now. Unless they manage to get an overdraft or something. I feel safer already.

Btw the Russians were bombing ISIS oil assets when one of their planes was shot down by a NATO warplane. Obviously everyone knows exactly what they’re doing and I can see it all being over by Christmas.

mattjg
    Free Member

Well without their revenue from oil I can’t see how they can carry out a terrorist atrocity in a European city now. Unless they manage to get an overdraft or something. I feel safer already.

They’ll have to max out their credit cards for car rental. Then the banks will get angry and they’ll REALLY be in trouble.

binners

I’m loving all the in-depth descriptions of the Tornado’s different awesomez weapons systems on the front pages of all the papers, and being talked through it on every news bulletin.

gets me rest moist, it does

copa
    Free Member

Aye, and if a few civilian oil workers happen to get blown to chunks by our precision guided British values – that’s just tough.

ferrals
    Free Member

If when this goes bad in Syria or and is used as the “reason” a major terrorist attack takes place in the UK he is going to face some extremely inconvenient questions about his leadership

Which he will bluster through like the buffoon he is and order more bombs, when he should be accepting direct responsibility.

jambalaya
    Free Member

These Islamist terrorists have a long list of reasons from Western intervention in the a Middle East, repression of their right to practice their religion, the crusades or simply that the Koran gives them the right, indeed the obligation to wage Jihad against apostates.

I see once again we have posters pointing accusing fingers at the leader, the vote was nearly 2:1 in favour, an overwhelming collective decision of our Parliament

binners

I see once again we have posters pointing accusing fingers at the leader, the vote was nearly 2:1 in favour, an overwhelming collective decision of our Parliament

Somewhat different from the proportion of the population in favour of bombing. The bloody terrorist sympathisers eh?

Hurray for representative democracy!

Heres what my MP wrote yesterday …

All the business has been cleared from today’s agenda in the House of Commons and the whole day which has been extended to 10pm will consist of a single debate on the motion set out in my last post. This will give 10 and a half hours of time for debate.

Not surprisingly I have received hundreds of emails urging me to vote against military action. It is clear from most of them that the senders appear not to have a full understanding of the situation in the middle east. the situation is extremely complex. I do not pretend that extending our military action across the border from Iraq to Syria will be a solution on its own to the threat from ISIL but it will, in my opinion, on balance, help defeat ISIL and I will vote for it. I should add that I have had some constituents urge me to vote for the motion

So thats me told. I don’t have full understanding of the situation apparently. Thankfully my patronising bell end of an MP does though. Phew!

chewkw
    Free Member

binners – Member
    Everyones crowing on about Benn’s speech and how pissed off Jezza was, but Dave’ll be the one party leader the most pissed off. He was deprived of his ‘We Will Fight Them on the Beaches….’ moment by the son of a bloody commie!

Nope, still don’t have the PM look I am afraid … might be good at arguing but most opposition politicians are so what’s this emotional speech?

Ya, but we all know that Labour cannot be voted in for at least two generations whether the commies can make good speeches or want to fight on the beach or apply their guerrilla warfare.

Commies are commies and will always be commies trying to micro-manage the life of each individual coz that is who they are. 😆

jimjam
    Free Member

Maybe I wasn’t paying close enough attention yesterday but I seem to remember a lot of those in favour siting the RAF’s superior skill and weaponry as being neccessary to attack ISIS in their stronghold of Raqqah as a matter of urgency in order to releive human suffering. Buuuut they’ve gone and targeted oil fields, which I presume (possibly ignorantly) won’t be as densely populated as a city of 900,000 people.

I can’t help but wonder why the USAF lacked the capability to do this.

El-bent
    Free Member

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Much like you.

chewkw
    Free Member

El-bent – Member

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Much like you. [/quote]

We don’t learn from history, we read it as story . We like story don’t we, so what’s your point exactly?

If human can learned from history we would be at peace long time ago so what’s with your new found “wisdom”?

ferrals
    Free Member

Which just shows how removed parliment is from the wishes of the general public (~55% against bombing in yougov poll IIRC). As for pointing fingers, as with anything the buck must stop with the person in charge.

Cameron’s argument is we need to bomb to protect the UK, but at the end of the day, most terrorists are domestic, perhaps go to middle east training camp and then return to plot. If our domestic situation wasn’t conducive to radicalisation it would happen far less. Better welfare and better integration of minorities would be better for UK security than bombing oilfields.

Our political situation and removal from public interest is currently so bad I’m beginning to wonder if we are going to see some non-religious radicalization as people become so disaffected protest marches turn to riots and worse.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

To be honest, if I thought I’d be remembered as a pig-**** PM, I’d probably get us involved in a war as well.

chewkw
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    To be honest, if I thought I’d be remembered as a pig-**** PM, I’d probably get us involved in a war as well.

That’s why you are not a politician or can be one.

nickc

most terrorists are domestic, perhaps go to middle east training camp and then return to plot.

I doubt they need to go anywhere near the middle east TBH, far too dangerous. 🙄

wasn’t Al-Masri (hooks for hands, remember him?) accused of setting up a training camp in Arizona?

jimjam
    Free Member

ferrals

Cameron’s argument is we need to bomb to protect the UK, but at the end of the day, most terrorists are domestic, perhaps go to middle east training camp and then return to plot. If our domestic situation wasn’t conducive to radicalisation it would happen far less. Better welfare and better integration of minorities would be better for UK security than bombing oilfields.

Something has to be said (seemingly ad-nauseum) about Saudi Arabia’s contribution to radicalisation though. It seems that between them and Qatar they are wholly responsible for exporting the radical interpretations which lure people in. The text books, the madrasas, apparently they have their claws in a lot of mosques.

As for improving the integration of minorities I agree 100% but it’s only a part of the picture. A big aspect of radicalisation imo is sympathy and the ability to relate. Being disenfranchised or alienated in mainstream society may be a driving factor, but simply seeing jihadi’s and Islamists as your countrymen or not dissimilar to you is a massive part of it.

So to some degree the integration, societal inclusiveness and welcoming won’t destroy young british Muslim’s ability to empathise with their countrymen and seek confirmation in mosques which are funded by Saudi.

konabunny
    Free Member

Like the arbitrary line in the sea around the Falklands or the arbitrary line along a burns that distinguishes the UK from Ireland? or the arbitrary line between Israel and Jordan?

The Genie Energy/Murdoch thing is bollocks. Syria hasn’t had a hope of stopping Israel doing what it wants in the Golan Heights for ages. It would be like nuking Scotland because you had fifty quid on Real Madrid beating Partick Thistle and didn’t want to risk losing your money.

mattjg
    Free Member

Like the arbitrary line in the sea around the Falklands or the arbitrary line along a burns that distinguishes the UK from Ireland? or the arbitrary line between Israel and Jordan?

Perhaps. Have I missed your point?

theotherjonv

Better welfare and better integration of minorities would be better for UK security than bombing oilfields.

I agree. But that’s a long term solution. We face a short term issue in the meantime.

We have to confront both, and to do that will take different tactics.

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 1,018 total)

The topic ‘Forum House of Commons vote on air strikes in Syria – which way will you vote?’ is closed to new replies.