Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Fork upgrade II
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve been in touch with JTECH today and they said they could fit the factory Fox damper to my Evolution forks, However, the catch is that it is going to cost circa £300. Is it worth it? Surely I could get some complete forks for that, couldn’t I?

daver27
    Free Member

sell what you currently have for a few hundred and add the cash from that to the £300 you are thinking of spending and get brand new BETTER forks.

A new damper in a knackered or used chassis is pointless in my experience (Although yours might not be knackered or used!)

mikey74
    Free Member

The forks are brand new. One ride old.

julzm
    Free Member

Or ask James at j-tech for a trade in value against what you might want…..?

mikey74
    Free Member

He does that?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Surely I could get some complete forks for that, couldn’t I?

Yes, interesting question as to how much better than your current forks they would be though.
    What do you have?
    What is wrong with them?
    What are you trying to improve with the new damper?
    What do you want overall?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

If you know what you want then Avalanche?

mikey74
    Free Member

They are the Fox Evolution 32 Float CTD. To be honest, I have only ridden them once, and they haven’t even bedded in yet.

The damper is supposed to be ****, though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well you can’t fit the avalanche.
    The original CTD got a lot of stick I believe it’s been updated on all models.
    You need to work out whats wrong with it (for yourself not what the internet says) then as what the factory damper will change.
    So the answer is probably go ride it, the “used” value of the damper isn’t going to change much so give it a go.

mikey74
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m tempted to, just musing at the moment.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

If they are 2014 then the CTD should be better. What length are they? Never really heard good things about the longer 32s when it comes to stiffness.

mikey74
    Free Member

140mm. They came on my 2015 Trance.

julzm
    Free Member

Mikey74 – yes he does that.

James is a very helpful chap indeed.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Would try them first and figure out what, if anything, you don’t like about them. You could spend 300 on a damper upgrade and find out the air spring is too linear or progressive, chassis isnt the stiffest either. I think if they where mine I’d sell them and get a set of pikes, reckon you should get 200 for em.

mikey74
    Free Member

Would try them first and figure out what, if anything, you don’t like about them. You could spend 300 on a damper upgrade and find out the air spring is too linear or progressive, chassis isnt the stiffest either. I think if they where mine I’d sell them and get a set of pikes, reckon you should get 200 for em.

Yeah, I agree with all that.

raisinhat
    Free Member

Ride it until you know if you like it or not, then spend the money for a better damper.

OR sell them right now and get pikes instead, because pikes are well gid.

OR just ride them until they break and then get something nicer? Unpopular opinion, I know.

Euro
    Free Member

OR just ride them until they break and then get something nicer? Unpopular opinion, I know.

Big chief Waba Donga say mental image of breaking fork not same as badly worn sprocket.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Had the same predicament as you, got some used / almost new longer travel pikes for 400 from ebay.
    still got the 32s evo’s may keep them for a project bike but will probably sell them on in the spring.
    have you considered a trade in with jtech for some xfusion sweeps almost as good as pikes, so they say!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Fork upgrade II’ is closed to new replies.