• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Fork Serviceing (how ace are they afterwards?)
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Very 🙂

Just had my magura's appart for the first time ever, bought them in 2008 as 2007 old stock so they'd obvioulsy been sat in a store room for a good few months. I've always thought they were good but after soaking foam rings in oil, adding about 7cc of 15wt fork oil to each lower and 23cc to the air piston, they've gone from being good (and usualy complimented by anyone who has a spin on them) to mind blowingly supple.

I tested them out on a kerb and rode straight into it while pedaling flat out, they absorbed it like it wasn't even there despite me pushing onto them rather than hopping up (snakebited the rear tyre as I wasnt quick enough lifing it up so thats now in the bin).

Best forks ever, I'm almost envious of people who have fox forks and are forced to keep their forks working this good all the time!

Few things I'd say to anyone else with magura's (especialy 2007's)

Don't put the whole 23cc of oil magura suggests into the air spring, it makes it a bit too progressive in the last inch (its now more like a soft 4" fork with a big bump stop) something like 10ml is probably enough.

Rock'n'Roll super slick grease on the seals (this is so slippery its hard to spread it evenly with your fingers! Recomended for any forks.

Stanchion lube, GT85/TF2 are not stanchion lube, they dry out the seals, get some propper stuff, the forks felt better after just this treatent, so I wasnt expecting much more from a service). Its absolutely ace.

The rebound adjuster is only held on by an o-ring seal, wrap in a bit of old towel and plull with pliars (mol grops might work, but I was woried about bending the shaft as they don't pull straight). It can take a lot of pull.

I pulled the foam rings out completely and soaked them in oil before feeding them back past the seals, not sure syringing directly onto them would have absorbed so much oil.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘Fork Serviceing (how ace are they afterwards?)’ is closed to new replies.