Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fork advice for a huge fat man
  • garrrrpirate
    Free Member

Hope you guys could give me a bit of advice?

I used to ride a lot, White water kayak and winter climb, after destroying one of my knees I grew lazy and more gravitationally advantaged until the ‘that’s no moon’ stage I am at now. Deciding I needed to draw a line in the pies I got myself a second hand bike started commuting to work and getting out on the trails again on a weekend. (Leeds, north Yorkshire)

The bike came with rockshox dart 3’s, rather predictably as I’m fat and the bike was s/h I’ve blown the seals. I’ve googled around it’s going to cost me around £30 to replace the seals etc myself, I can find the forks for around £100 new but they don’t have very good reviews. I see on-one have rockshox recoils for £109 but they have a 100kg weight limit (yes I am, erk) but would I get away with it? Or should I keep an eye out on the for sale section on here?

TL, DR Best sub £150 forks for a fat man.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Rigid’s?

Or get on the iDave diet – thats free!

gnusmas

whats the max travel for the bike?

loddrik
    Free Member

I’m 107kg and never had a prob with any equipt, faulty forks…?

garrrrpirate
    Free Member

If they are faulty there isn’t loads I can do about it.

The existing forks are 100mm I reckon I could go longer as the stem has quite a lot of rise on it but no idea on the maximum.

sobriety
    Free Member

Darts are pretty rubbish. You could try to find a second hand pair of 130mm marzocchis (pre 2006 I think it was that were good). They’re pretty indestructuable, go ‘boing-squelch’, and, like your good self, are heavy enough to have their own gravitational field.

gnusmas

thats the reason i was asking sobriety, i may be stripping down my HT with a pair of zocchis (think they are 05) and going back to 80/100mm travel. These are 120mm.

garrrrpirate if you are interested drop me an email, can check exact model/steerer length etc. FWIW i am around 92 kilos and they are absolutely fine.

funkyhoodaATyahooDOTcoDOTuk

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

When I was larger than life I started with some u-turn tora’s. Got a firm spring for them. 5 years later still going strong (now with med spring).

I’m not sure why the seals would blow on yours – I presume they’re coil forks? Not heard of that before.

druidh
    Free Member

Fork advice? Stop using it so much…..

damo2576
    Free Member

Sorry, I read “Pork advice for huge fat man”

garrrrpirate
    Free Member

I need no advice on the pork.

Cheers gnusmas, I’ll fling you an email in the morning.

lardman
    Free Member

well i’m a ‘little’ (lot) more than 100kg, and ive always found marzocchi (pre 2006) are indestructible. I’m sure recent versions have returned to this form now too!

Go for those ‘zocchis from gnusmas if they fit. Bear in mind you’ll need a stronger spring too, and they are hard to source, as i’ve just been trying with no luck yet.

I have a pair of 2006 Z1 lights that i want a firm spring for… anyone?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fork advice for a huge fat man’ is closed to new replies.