Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Forgive me: Single Ply Maxxis tubeless – stronger than TR Nobby Nics?
  • Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve been running tubeless on my Stan’s Flow rims with (tubeless-ready, Snakeskin Evo) Nobby Nic 2.25 tyres and some of Stan’s sealant. Whilst I’m generally quite happy with this setup, I’ve just had another pinch I’ve not been able to fix at the side of the trail. Basically I want to try a tyre that’s more resistant in the sidewalls without going overboard on the weight.

I’d quite like to try just a normal, single ply high roller 2.35. I like those tyres, but will the sidewalls hold up any better than the Nobby Nics? Are the UST Maxxis worth trying? I don’t really have a problem with the initial inflating / sealing of the tyre, but I wouldn’t mind an extra 200g weight if that translates to stronger sidewalls? Or is it just the bead that’s heavier?

Apologies in advance for this rather boring question, but hopefully someone can help?

sambob
    Free Member

Maxxis Advantage have been good for me in the Peak District, surprisingly tough sidewalls.

muddy@rseguy

I run standard maxxis advantage on Stans arch with sealant. All seem fine and the sidewalls seem ok: no sidewall damage in one year of running them with the worst flint the South Downs can throw at them. The Nobby Nics sidewalls are thinner than the Maxxis ones, I would guess that the High Rollers are similar.

Superficial
    Free Member

I don’t quite understand that last point – the High Rollers will be similar to the ADvantages, or to the Nics?

I had some ADvantages a while ago, they were really high volume but the sidewalls seemed thinner than other Maxxis tyres? Not tried them tubeless, mind.

dasnut
    Free Member

Proper UST tyres are designed to be used without sealant, so they are built with thicker less porous rubber.

I don’t know anything about nobby nics, but I run a LUST high roller on the back of my trail bike, and rarely pinch flat it (say once a year). They did have a period where they would split at the bead, but that only happened to me in the alps and I was bombing and also flat spotted a crossmax sx at the same time.
    For the record I run 30-35 psi in the rear

raisinhat
    Free Member

I’ve run both, and the High Rollers have much thicker sidewalls which seem a lot less liable to flexing or deforming. 2.35s will probably be about the same width as 2.25 NNs, but a little taller. I think I notice the weight increase, but it could really all be in my head.

rocketman
    Free Member

I’ve no experience of tl but a single ply 60a folding 2.35 HRI has a much thicker sidewall than a 2.25 Nic.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Forgive me: Single Ply Maxxis tubeless – stronger than TR Nobby Nics?’ is closed to new replies.