Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Forget your Solarstorm X2's…
  • stuey
    Free Member

..Because ‘fannyfire’ was already taken by a user over at mumsnet.

Be interested to see if the smaller Xinding overheat easier/more?

MarkLG
    Free Member

Be interested to see if the smaller Xinding overheat easier/more?

That was my first though on seeing how small it is. The SSX2 throws out a hell of a lot of heat, and some users have reported theirs cutting the light output when it gets too hot. The twin led Magicshine reportedly has the same problem.

This Beema AS 2000 looks interesting.

mboy
    Free Member

The Yinding does warm up in your hand, but haven’t yet had it hot enough to get cooking. Someone on MTBR forum has tested it out, and apparently it shuts itself off at 60 degrees, but apparently it took a long time (like 15mins or more) in relatively high ambient temperature. I’m not worried anyway.

Also, again according to MTBR forum (and will go part way to explain the heat transfer and run times), the Yinding draws approx 1.7A on full, and 0.85A on medium. Smudge tested the SSX2 the other week and found it draws 2.5A on full, and only has a nominal 3Ah battery pack (4x1500mah cells).

Certainly, with a decent quality 3ah+ 2 cell battery pack, the Yinding looks like being able to provide 1000+ lumens for 2 hours with an all up weight quite a bit less than 200g!!!

dantsw13
    mboy
    Free Member

Been available for a few weeks mate. And at only £5 less than with a battery and charger (and the battery seems to be roughly the 4Ah its claiming to be according to those that have tested it) and the charger is the same as the more reliable units that come with other XML lights rather than those that have been troublesome with the SSX2’s, IMO it’s worth getting with the battery and charger.

MarkLG
    Free Member

Looks like the main reason for choosing the head unit only option is due to the shipping restrictions on LI-Ion battery packs. At £28 delivered I may give one a try.

rob2
    Free Member

Hang on, there is some squiggle writing on that link above!

takisawa2

Theoretically, if I ordered just an SSX2 head unit, would it plug into the 4×18650 battery pack from one of my single XML’s…?
    Still using a P7 on the bars as, even four years on, it still has the best beam pattern.

dantsw13

Ah – though this one was only available as a combo before. That price difference doesn’t say a lot about the quality of the battery!!

I will use my existing battery and charger – wouldn’t put a uncertified Chinese battery/charger in my workshop. I’ve also just ordered a Fandyfire head unit. Hopefully one of them will complement the Spidereyes I have on my helmet.

z1ppy

Taki -yes, my SSX2 battery was rubbish so used an old MS one I had. The new connection is a squeeze to fit into the old type, supposedly removing the extra o-ring can help alleviate that, but I kept it on for better seal & just used a bit of brute force

lightman
    Free Member

Ive got the Yinding and quite like it, but it needs just a bit more throw. Would a reflector from the X2 fit in it?
    I think having one of each would make it pretty good all round.

z1ppy

Which X2? Solar storm x2 (guessing not), it might not be that obvious in my pictures but… no chance

neninja – Member
    Unless they’ve changed this clone from the Duo, I’m certain the Gloworm optics won’t fit. The Gloworm X2 uses larger optics than the Duo.

MarkLG
    Free Member

2 weeks later and my Yinding has arrived from China. Ordered through a seller on AliExpress, who now seems to be out of stock. £28 delivered, without a battery. Although it was advertised as lamp only it came with the usual headstrap, rubber rings, and a charger (which went straight in the bin).
    I’ve had a chance to do a quick comparison with the SS X2:

– The SS X2 draws more current (2.3 A vs 1.6A). The YD should run about 40% longer on the same battery on full power.
    – The YD gets hotter, quicker. It shuts down to medium power after 5 or 6 minutes with no airflow over it.
    – The SS X2 is brighter, but the beam patterns are very similar. The YD has a more even drop off away from the centre, but the SS X2 has a bit more throw.
    – Doing some very basic testing using a Luxmeter app on the iPhone suggest the SS X2 is throwing out about 20% more light
    – The YD is tiny. It’s so small that it’s worth getting just to keep as a spare in your pack.
    – The YD is made to a higher standard than the SS X2. It’s very nicely finished with no sharp edges, and the screws and button are recessed flush with the body. The cable exits neatly out of the side of the body.

I’d say the YD is the nicer light overall – it’s smaller and the lower power drain means I can run it for longer on full power. The extra output of the SS X2 on high is noticeable, but they’re both in the same ballpark. If you run a longer throw light on your helmet you won’t notice a difference between the two.
    The only question mark is if the overheating becomes a problem in real world use.

dantsw13

My Fandyfire came this week.
    Charger went straight in the bin!
    The connector fits my Magicshine battery (Open Light Systems decent German one) but isn’t very tight, so I taped it up. 4 light levels, strobe via separate button,
    Hold button for “off ” mode,
    Good flood, good throw, no dead patch

MarkLG
    Free Member

New version of the YD U2 here with latest XM-L2 LEDs, but the price is now upto £40, which is looking like less of a bargain.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I received one of these from the above link recently, for $37, to compare to a solarstorm X2 I also bought recently, all out of idle curiosity as I have a Gloworm X2 and X1 setup.

Neither are quite as bright as the Gloworm, which is just under 1200 lumens apparently.

The Yingding does get hotter, as mentioned above.

It also looks slightly different form the picture on that link, with no screws on the front panel and with the cable going in from the back and not the side.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

My Xinding light arrived 2 days ago,was around 3 weeks for delivery,Really small sized head unit,well finished.

Battery looks ok,but looks like it could do with sealing abit better.

Charger looks ok,but need to buy an adaptor for it.

kamenev
    Free Member

Anyone found any suitable optics for these? I see on MTBR that people are using lenses from LEDDNA. Looking at the measurements of the stock optics taken on the same forum it looks like carclo 20mm tir optics might fit. Can’t seem to find these anywhere in the UK although you can get them from ledtech in germany. I might try these out in the future.

bikergbr
    Free Member

I think I’ll try one of these
    Where is the best place to get a battery and charger for the uk?
    Thanks

fudge9202
    Free Member

bikergbr I have both the solarstorm and the yinding and run both on Torchys fluxient batteries and uk charger
    That battery is £34.99 and the charger is £12.99 both with free delivery
    If you type fluxient in eBay you will find him.

jkomo

What I don’t get, why isn’t this the perfect default light:
    http://bit.ly/JOw31n
    It seems to have everything I want: from the beam pics it’s more than I need; has no wires to mess up; must be light weight; has a uk charger and decent battery.
    Have I missed something?

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Forget your Solarstorm X2's…’ is closed to new replies.