Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • For anyone heading for the Quantocks this weekend .
  • oldfart

You are in for a bigger treat than usual.Went yesterday and the trails are in the best condition i've seen all summer !!!!!I even rode slaughterhouse top to bottom without pedalling !If i could sneak away i'd go again this weekend .(Needs a bit of work !)
    Sharki found the skull cheers young man. Couple of questions.The woods where you used to do the Halloween ride off the lane to Quantock Combe farm .Can you still get in from there ?Found the 2nd part that comes out half way down the chimney.Also on the left hander in the chimney what the trail on the right ?Rideable for a spanner like me or best left to the pros ??

johnners
    Free Member

Also on the left hander in the chimney what the trail on the right

I've not ridden that in a couple of years. Too few were using it and it was getting pretty overgrown even then. It was always a bit of a 50:50 for me – a loose slatey rut straight down the fall line, and in full view of the car park for the last bit! And that bit you can see off the Chimney's the easiest by a fair margin. Better riders may have a different opinion though.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I am up on the Q's tonight Mrs Saladdodger wants to go Deer spotting at dusk but on foot, but what the hell I will still be trespassing on "Sharki's ills"
    But tomorrow HELL YES 456 a go go but I think I will do south of the gate for a change

Rex
    Free Member

hope to be up there sunday: DDDDDDDDUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"left hander in the chimney what the trail on the right ?Rideable for a spanner like me or best left to the pros"

I started off down that one the other week and thought it a bit steep for my tastes – I find the chimney tricky enough! You'll prolly be OK though.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Im up there tomorrow if anyone is about?
    Rex I'd like to do sunday but have had some more work changes, long story, been totally screwed and looks like ill lose the Orange too.
    Could be about after work tho if you riding late? (suspect you'll be on an early one tho)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

looks like ill lose the Orange too

Oh cr@p, that's your dream bike… why?

saladdodger
    Free Member

Charlie

you are not saying what I think you are ????????

cinnamon_girl

OF – rub it in why don't you 😉

Seriously, if I had my full suss, I would be down like a shot. Have small matter of a broken carbon brake lever to attend to, as well as a wheel being rebuilt 🙁

Have fun everyone!

sharki
    Free Member

I saw it was gone OF, i've go a deer skull for ou if you'd likey, only a hind mind you so no antlers…..

The old Halloween trail is now gone that why myself and jambo put in our trail.

The trail that splits off on the chimney is/was the xmas tree descent, now heavliy overgrown so even harder to clean now.

SD, where i said to view the Deer last night…spot on! came back via that way from thorncombe in the pitch black and was greated by a stag walking towards me, i hunkered down in the gully to the sound of other stag practice rutting, their antlers clashing together, then about 5 metres away the stag cross in front of me stopped looked at me, sniffed the air and wandered off up into the hill without a care, awesome!…..

thekingofsweden

Any chance on that Deer spotting spot ? Should be there on Sunday on the all being well.

Good times

sheppie_hill
    Free Member

sorry for topic twist BUT whatever it is, I am gutted for you charlie.

sharki
    Free Member

Fight your corner for that orange Charlie, it's wrong and they no it..Or we can all screw there business by mass forum promoting their scam and wrongness…'Stids.

This is not a dead cert for spotting deer, as their movements are sporadic right now, but scratching marks are evident in this area and suggest they frequent this place for grazing and deer like duties…this area is between lowsey thorn, black ball hill and thorncombe and on the hill between slaugther house and stert combe, best seen just prior to sunset but a rare thing to get close to them unless you smell of the wilds like me 😉

cinnamon_girl

Now you're just rubbing it even more by mentioning the deer 🙁

sharki – any chance of getting some antlers for me please? Need to add to my collection. I know they will be a bit big to carry when on the bike though. Are there likely to be any around in December (for the Forum ride) but I could well be down before that, fingers crossed 🙂

sharki
    Free Member

I've never found any antlers on the hills, i do look but where they fall off gawd knows.

The Deer will be about but as the rut will be over the big herds may of dispersed by then, from mid oct to early November is a great time, with the stag being very vocal, night rides this time are amazing if you can handle the powerful noise they make as it bounces across the valleys…..

cinnamon_girl

OK, thanks sharki. An October visit sounds a great idea but would need to bring walking boots and head torch for an evening's voyeurism 8)

oldfart

shane another skull for my garage would be good .same place?

sharki
    Free Member

Nope, this one is opp dead womans ditch CP, 8ft up in a sessile oak tree.

HTH

If you want you can have some of it's ribs, leg bones, shoulder blade and sections of the spinal column.

Found some sheeps bones too, just the lower jaw and assorted lot, no skull one horn sheath…

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Exmoor for the kid this weekend. Have fun everyone.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘For anyone heading for the Quantocks this weekend .’ is closed to new replies.