Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Foam roller buying advice sought please
  • headfirst
    Free Member

I’m completely bemused by the array of rollers available. I seem to suffer a lot from tight and occasionally crampy calves and I had a few gos with a roller on holiday (Greece, very nice, thanks for asking) and it really helped so now I want to get one.

As always I’ve headed straight to Amazon but the most popular one has some reviews saying that they don’t hold their shape for very long. I’m a big lad (100kg/16 stone) and will probably use it on my lower back too so I want something that’s up to the job. So any recommendations will be greatly received.

turbo1397
    Free Member

ive tried a few and i like the rumble roller.. looks like a torture device but it really works.

stumpy01

I think the blue ones are made of a firmer foam, which might survive a bit longer.
    My bro-in-law has got a hollow roller that has a thick plastic inner with foam wrapped around it. That should last well, but is pricier than a solid foam one and is pretty brutal as well.

physiosupplies.com have quite a good range. I’ve used them in the past and the service seems decent.

tmb467
    Free Member

handy tip…dont be using it on your lower back – glutes / hips / quads and upper back but NOT lower back (and probably not ITB either)

a good one for your calves is a lacrosse ball (or two taped together) any work on your calves will hurt a lot!

gsm7
    Free Member

+1 for the rumble roller. But if you’re new to rolling then would recommend something a bit softer to ease you into it. I started with a 66fit blue foam roller, pretty soft. Then built up my tolerance and now role with a firm rumble roller.

If it just for calves though (and it shouldn’t be… You probably want to roll your whole legs to get the most benefit) a baseball/hockey ball/cricket ball is excellent for the calves and a damn sight cheaper. I use a baseball that I found for my calves. Perfect.

stumpy01

tmb467 – Member
    handy tip…dont be using it on your lower back – glutes / hips / quads and upper back but NOT lower back (and probably not ITB either)

Why not ITB? I’ve been told by a couple of physios to get a foam roller for my tight ITB, my bro-in-law bought one for his ITB and it sorted it right out and several people on here recommend foam roller action every time a tight ITB thread pops up.

headfirst
    Free Member

Cheers for all the advice and tips. Why the big no-no on the lower back?

Those rumble rollers look like a masochist’s dream come true 😯

petemcd
    Free Member

Your lower back should remain braced and stable under load. Foam rolling it will encourage movement and instability which will eventually cause damage. Your upper/thorastic spine should be nice and mobile though so roll away on that, just don’t go below your lowest rib.

The grid rollers are the best all round rollers available. Look for one with a hollow plastic core and foam on the outside. The solid foam ones lose their structure quickly so don’t bother with those.

The rumble rollers are effective at unmatting particularly tight spots, but they’re not as useful as a grid roller.

There are quite a few copies of the grid roller now — this one looks great value with free delivery. http://www.amazon.co.uk/PhysioWorld-Grid-Foam-Roller-33x15cm/dp/B00ITQGCC2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401705891&sr=8-2&keywords=grid+roller

As has been said, a lacrosse ball is brilliant for getting into really tight spots (or 2 taped together).

Have a look on http://www.mobilitywod.com for loads of ways to use the roller and lacrosse ball.

headfirst
    Free Member

Cheers pete, that’s a very thorough reply. I’ve already ordered a ‘standard’ roller, but I’ve put that grid roller you link to on my amazon wishlist. Will check out that website too, ta.

DT78
    Free Member

Hmm thats interesting about lower back. I occasionally use it to click it back in place for relief when my lower back has tightened up after a long ride…hmmm shall ask my osteo

tmb467
    Free Member

Why not ITB

It’s mainly cos most of the time a tight ITB is a sign of something not right in your hips or glutes

Don’t roll ITB

I’ve had a few recommendations about not rolling it (although some do say to do it). Personally I’ve found that hips quads and glutes does me just fine so I’ll not risk it. YMMV as they say. I’m not a physio, btw, or a doctor. Just spent about 7 months sorting my back

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Acht – roll whatever you want. There’s a lot of rubbish written about foam rolling.

eskay

My physio reckons a 2 litre bottle (round!) full of water is good enough.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I reckon a 2L bottle full of water, stuck in the freezer and wrapped in a towel is better.

tmb467
    Free Member

Acht – roll whatever you want. There’s a lot of rubbish written about foam rolling.

Indeed there is. Just don’t roll something that relies on tension to keep stability. Lower back is the main one and that article made sense to me. On the other hand – if it works then do it. If it breaks after that then get it fixed by someone else 🙂

brooess
    Free Member

Buy the best you can afford.
    The soft ones loose firmness and then shape. The cheap plastic core + foam will break IME
    The Grid works for me. £40+ but I’ve not had to replace it after 3 months like I did the others!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Foam roller buying advice sought please’ is closed to new replies.