Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Foam Grips
  • shinsplints

Anyone using them ?
    I know taste in grips is all personal preference but just interested to hear any views on durability etc…
    Superstar are doing 2 pairs for super cheapness.
    What are people attaching them with ? Hairspray ? Man juice ? 😉

Vortexracing

I use easi grips on all my bikes and window cleaner works atreat with them. Never budge once on.

shinsplints

Windowlene ?
    The superstar ones look pretty much the same as the Ritchey ones you see about.
    Might give them a whirl.
    Any good in the wet or do they feel like you are holding a rotten courgette ?

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Used a set of lockon Crank Brother foam grips. Mixed bag (wasn’t impressed with the build quality).

What did suck was the first reasonable off in a rocky area ripped the foam apart, cue replacements.

Why don’t they sell grips as singles !!!!!

mrmo
    Free Member

using Bontrager XXX lite grips, light, easier than holding carbon bars, less hassle than bar tape, what more do you need a grip to do.

curlie467
    Free Member

I am using some of the superstar foamies, put them on with a little bit of hairspray (for curly hair, dont know if it makes a difference).
    Went on fine but dont use too much just a tiny bit sprayed inside to help it slide on.
    Mine are stuck fast now, been out in the rain and they were fine, seem to be nice and comfortable so far which is more than i can say for the horrible shaped bars that i have at the moment.

Try them, you may like them!

Wally

ESI are fab – you will not go back.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

I’ve used various foam grips over the years, here’s my two penny’s worth:

1) Forget lock-on grips, you lose lots of comfort compared to a pure foam grip as you replace a good amount of nice soft, light foam with hard plastic shell. Also, the hard collars are a nasty rim on the edge of the grip compared to the soft crntre and hurt the outside of your hands on a long ride

2) Old school foam grips are comfy and super light but, after a few months use, get permanently compressed so can need replacing. Also, some can get slippery when wet. Replacement is quick and easy and they’re nice and cheap – bonus!

3) ESI grips seem very good, I’ve used them through the winter and for 24hrs, nice and comfy, seem to hold their spring for substantially longer than old school foam, they also stick to the bars without any drama, stay grippy in the wet, despite smooth round surface, are still light and, importantly, come in pretty colours 😉 but they are more expensive and harder to get hold of then plain black foam grips from other people

Hope that’s useful

Rob
    bigrobracing.co.uk

sofaking
    Free Member

esi on most of my bikes, best grips Ive ever used

localhero94
    Free Member

Which esi grips are people using – the racers edge or chunky?

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

i run them on my dh bike… fooooking love them

sofaking
    Free Member

chunky, theyre not much thicker but just give a bit more comfort and theyre oh so grippy

shinsplints

Cheers guys, good feedback.
    I think I am going to give the superstar cheapies a go, 2 pairs for £7 odd !!!

Wally

chunky here too – the best sub £20 you can do for your bike.

chomp
    Free Member

anywhere in the uk that stock the esi chunky grips|?

njee20
    Free Member

Bonty XXX Lite here, v comfy.

As for ESI: JFGI?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

ESI chunky here, infact several set.. I used to be a foam grip rider but 100% converted to these now. Light, comfy, stay attached. what more do you need.

DT78
    Free Member

Been using ss foam for 18 months no complaints here. Used a little squirt of wd40 to fit. Only downside is if you like swapping components around. Likin

g the look of those esi grips. How are the colours? Does the white stay white?

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve been using Ritchey WCS foam grips on all my bikes for the past 15+ years. I just dip them in some water and slide them on. never had a problem and wouldn’t use anything else.

Tom83

ESI grips from Dinosaur bikes online. Last set i got a tube of smarties with them, score 😉

mightymarmite
    Free Member

TOM83, do you have a link for Dinosaur ? Google link to their shop shows it being closed, and am also keen to give these a try.

andytherocketeer

Used to use the Ritchey foam grips. They don’t get squidgey or anything when wet. They’re pretty comfy, but the grip is not as good as say ODI lockons which have quite a “tacky” rubber (although hand sweat when riding in 37C makes ODI etc. type all slippery).
    Not sure i’d get the “shaped” ones with the bulge, if I buy them again.
    Really easy to get them on (dunk in water, wet the bars, slide on). PITA to get them off to change shifters.

vdubber67
    Free Member

The KCNC ones are great….

They also appear to be cheaper and lighter than those ESI ones 😉

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

the ESI ones are silicon – not the same as the KCNC ones.

vdubber67
    Free Member

and the advantage of that is? 😉

Tom83

Mightmarmite – You’re right, they seem to have closed down the website. Not sure when that happened, i ordered from them about a month ago! Maybe they’re updating it? Was a little simple.

shinsplints

Oooo. The KCNC ones will match my bars ! 🙂
    For some reason the link above takes you to a site where they are cheaper than from Clee Cycles themselves, who are their main importer (or so I understand). May go for some of these now, plus Clee Cycles are only 20 mins from my house so I’m supporting the local guy. In a way.

jameso

Ditto Rob’s comments on foam lock-ons – the plastic sleeve means you loose foam thickness and comfort.

Cork/foam grips attached to the bar with a wipe of UHU – solid in all weathers. But a sod to remove (use parafin), work ok on my H-bars as the brake / shifter fits to a different section of the bar but would think twice on normal bars.

Will try the ESI grips next, they sound good.

(kcnc’s look like titec porkrinds / a stock velo molds – a good grip but you need to get the ridges / octagon shape aligned right)

grtdkad
    Free Member

Bontrager xxx-Lites on my Whyte. Perfect, super light and cheap.

dodd4721
    Free Member

the Porkrinds sound tasty!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Foam Grips’ is closed to new replies.