• This topic has 14 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by devs.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Flat shoes – your thoughts?
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Morning all

This may have been done to death but what the hell..

For years I’ve used Vans (Previously from TK Maxx but more recently from skate shops). Now thinking about getting some 5.10s or some Van’s Gravels with the stickier sole and wonder what everyone thinks of them.

I prefer the Freerider’s style to the Special shoes but wonder if anyone has any comments on these or other 5.10s. Keen to know about how water / weather resistant they are.

The Van’s gravel look good too.

If it helps I have quite wide feet.

aguesty1
    Free Member

Don’t discount the Teva links, they look great IMO, nice and grippy (I’ve heard 5 10 are stickier) but able to adjust feet easily, most importantly; they are really comfy, to the point that I don’t want to take mine off! 😀

starsh78
    Free Member

I run converse on shimano DX’s with long pins. I am literally welded to them – a bit of a curve ball i know

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

i use 5:10 Baron’s. Good shoe, loads of grip and not quite as chunky as the impacts. Only available in red as far as I know though which isn’t for everyone

bloodyshins
    Free Member

The tevas are very comfy, well made with a sole that’s niether rigid or too flexy. I use 5.10 freeriders, not as well put together with a flexier sole but waaaaaaay grippier. 5.10s take a bit to get used to as once your foot is down, you have to lift it clean off to reposition it. The 5.10 impact is the best imo, mega grippy, stiff sole for pedalling efficiency and very prtective. Avoid 5.10 spitfires, you’d be better off riding in slippers. Got a mate that swears by the shimano ones though aswell.

IHN

Your shapely calves look much better in heels 🙂

andeh

I went from Vans (skateshoes) to 5:10 Barons over Christmas. Very impressed thus far. Had a few very wet days out and my feet have stayed pretty dry, much more so than with my mates Impacts, which seem to act like sponges.

The improved grip is immediately noticeable. Rode the Peaks on Friday for the first time since the change and, where previously I would have to hold back (Hope Cross) to avoid having my feet blown off the pedals, they just stuck and stuck and stuck and stuck. Really great.

deanfbm
    Free Member

I have experience of vans a teva’s.

I’m much more happy with thin, flexible soles with lots of feel. I hate not feeling where my feet are.

As above, teva’s are really well made, really comfy, good quality items. Supportive and protective too. First impressions of the sole were good, gripped well, could trust that my feet were in an ok place, not quite enough feel for me. Waits for the sole to break in and become flexier, doesn’t happen. Now the tread has been shredded, doesn’t have enough grip, plus there isn’t enough feel to give warning of the foot slipping or positioned badly.

I prefer vans, i can trust the sole, grippier and better feel, but the uppers aren’t as good as the teva.

Looking to try out some barons or freeriders next.

You need to decide if you want feel or protection and stiffness.

Cheezpleez

I use the latest Shimano ones. I prefer them to 5.10s – they’re not as grippy but I prefer it as I didn’t like having to lift my feet right off the pedal to reposition my feet. Never get bounced off the pedals, either. The soles also feel thinner than Impacts and that was another positive for me. Overall, I rate the Shimanos. Would like to try some Tevas too.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

The feel isimportant as I like to know how my foot is positioned. Will have to seeif I can try a few.

jedi

i use nike 6.0 melees . canvas so dry in no time at all.

Northwind

The thing to watch about skate shoes, is that no two are the same… I ride a lot in an old pair of Vans Bricks and they’re very good, but my newer Vans are too thinsoled soft for my taste- I can feel the pins through the soles and almost curl my toes over the edge. I like a little support (though not too much). Some others have large flat sections on the sole which make them not too grippy.

But if you get a good non-cycling flat shoe, it’ll do you very well. Not as grippy as Five Ten- don’t care, they’re far grippier than I need. With any halfway suitable pedal and shoe my feet will slip if I lift them and they won’t if I don’t.

Shimano AM40s were my favourite, but no longer available 🙁 Just a really good shoe, hardwearing, reasonably waterproof, quick drying, and an adjustable stiffness sole to round it off.

colournoise

Rode in Adidas Gazelles, Diesel and various Vans before getting some 5.10 Freeriders. Personally wouldn’t go back.

Once you get over the lifting-your-foot-right-off-to-change-position thing it’s all good. Grippier than Grippy Jack McGrippy on St.Grippin’s Day and I actually quite like the oversize clown shoe styling.

Do soak up a fair bit of water but not as bad as the hype suggests (I guess the uppers type you have makes a difference?) – mine dry out overnight just fine usually.

slainte 8) rob

stevomcd
    Free Member

The 5:10 Freeriders are great to ride in, but they don’t offer much toe protection. I’ve used them guiding for the past 2 seasons (they lasted that long, but now totally trashed) and I have a wrecked set of toes to show for it.

Just bought a new pair and gone back to impacts (Sam Hill Monster version).

devs
    Free Member

I use proper impact 5:10s until they get soaked and then use Teva Links which are nearly as good. I’m big and ugly anyways so I don’t care that the Teva is actually the better looking of the 2, my overall look is beyond help!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Flat shoes – your thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.