• This topic has 13 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Del.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • fixing trails that have been straightlined (leigh woods bristol)
  • richc
    Free Member

I have noticed that as more and more large groups are out riding the trails in Leigh woods (in Bristol) more of the difficult trails have lines developing around the technical bits so they can be straight lined.

In particular the knicker trail is getting pretty knackered with loads of short cuts appearing.

So what's the etiquette with *fixing* these trails? do you just pile stuff up to block the short cuts or leave it and write off another trail?

Its pretty frustrating that some people are determined to make the single track wider than the fireroads in places, and its not as if there is a lack of trails, so why not ride something easier if you you cannot ride that particular trail.

plecostomus
    Free Member

Yups block them off but they will probably get moved again, I've seen similar things happen to trails on Cannock chase before I moved to Bristol, people want to ride all the trails but realise they are shit and technically incompetent so they straightline it resulting in the trails becoming as wide as a motorway, in fifty acre there's loads of corners where people have now straightlined them too, also picnic bench seems to now have several different lines to take and some of those are shocking! I see it as if you can't ride a technical section then either get off and walk or you shouldn't be riding the trail in the first instance.

richc
    Free Member

I spend a lot of time in Leigh woods with the dog, so I reckon I will start blocking them off, as its getting stupid now.

I think its mostly Bristol Mountain Bike Club **** up most of the trails as I've been at the bottom of stuff and seen a huge group of them cutting every tricky corner, instead of actually riding the track.

sc-xc

Are they purpose built trails? If not, shouldn't you just accept that they change?

scruff
    Free Member

It has to be something really big to block the cut off properly. Big fallen trees will do it, bits of logs piled up can do if its not too well known, if its busy the block wont be there next time you ride it. I block stuff off but I know bikers will remove the logs, mistakenly thinking they were put there by stickman. Digging deep drainage ditches can work. Be mindful of repercussions from walkers, forestry workers, horses etc and the wildlife (including little beetles and flowers stuff) . TBH best solution is shooting of straightliners, fking gets my goat it does.

rp16v
    Free Member

some of it is due to having all abilitys of riders out some take the rite route weras some need the chiken run,remember not everyone is great on there first outing also stops the same patch getting trashed all year round.

richc
    Free Member

The worst hit trail has lots of huge dead trees around, so I will see if I can roll one down. I was thinking of putting a sign up saying 'if you want to ride wide trails, the fireroad is up there —>' to see if they got the hint

As for they change live with it, well not if they change for the worse, some mountain bikers seem to want to ride wide easy trails, so try and cut every difficult corner off I guess its the roadie influence

plecostomus
    Free Member

(hey scruff how are you?) I've not been up to Cannock for a while since I moved but remember issues there well, thing with Leigh woods is all the trails aren't official so the more they get widend the more it will be used against having access for bikes in there.

sc-xc

rich, I agree it's shit mate…but what can you do?

richc
    Free Member

roll big logs down to block the lines bypassing the hard stuff, apparently 😉

rp16v
    Free Member

tbh theres not allot that can be done its not all from riders iv seen ppl on pit bikes,dog walkers,runners all keeping to the side of the trails due to it being soaked or to make way for riders and as for widening it its natural if its used it will get wider there are so many factors nobody can pinpoint it
    personaly the little time iv spent in there i find it lovley and fast & twisty y u would not want to ride the right trail is beyond me.

Edric64
    Free Member

We followed a short trail in Stockhill woods on Mendip and there was one hole that always caught a wheel and was hard to ride clean ,some sod filled it with sticks and then gravel ,we just dug it out until they gave up

cheers_drive

It's annoying but thankfully there are plenty of trail pixies in Bristol who block off the shortcuts. If the original line stays it only bothers me if the flow is ruined or I'm out in a group and someone in front takes the shortcut and drops me 😐

Del

agreed – someone seems to be particularly active on our local trails recently. lines that have been laid in only in the past year or 18 months, some nobber has decided would be made 'better' if they take out a tree here, or another there. does rather gall. if you want a trail to run a certain way, build another one ffs!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘fixing trails that have been straightlined (leigh woods bristol)’ is closed to new replies.