Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 146 total)
  • Fix this laptop?
  • BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Nerdgasm. 😀

cranberry
    Free Member

Because it was using too many resources ?

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

… was it trying to connect to a network resource that was being a bit tardy in responding?

shermer75
    Free Member

Trying to get US Netflix lol 🙂

hot_fiat

disgruntled sysadmin that’s recently left? Look for another VBS that runs itself, queries AD for comoputers, copies itself to any that are reachable and repeats.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Some IT bod has been trying to limit the users internet access to less than 5 minutes a day as petty revenge for the user being a bit of a nobber?

The digital version of a mechanical hiding a marble inside the door of a “difficult” customer’s car.

Cougar

disgruntled sysadmin that’s recently left?

It’s a home machine. No-one else has used it in months.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

What happens after you disable the task and wait (from a safe distance)?

Cougar

Killing the task, of course, fixes the issue. I knew as soon as I saw it (and kicked myself for not thinking of it earlier).

hot_fiat

Set-Service -Name Schedule -StartupType Disabled

return to browsing ebay

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Is the task terminating some active content – desktop, widgest etc?

verses

Was it supposed to be iexplorer.exe being killed to feebly attempt to stop people from browsing for long periods? Or nudge you to use another browser?

Cougar

It was literally ‘taskkill /f explorer.exe’ (may have had other switches, I can’t remember).

molgrips
    Free Member

Though, credit should also go to Molgrips who was on the same lines

I doubt I’d have looked at scheduled tasks – who the hell uses those? 🙂

The question of why such a thing exists is far more bizarre tbh.

Is it ransomeware of some kind?

woody2000

Windows explorer verses, not IE

Silly little trojan/virus by the sounds of it, designed for maximum annoyance but no real damage.

verses

Windows explorer verses, not IE

Yes, I was wondering if it was a poor typo

leffeboy

Was it designed to stop other members of the family using the puter? the person who installed it knows to kill the task but to everyone else the machine is unusable. Pretty silly though

tootallpaul

Has the owners cat ever been to Sub-Saharan Africa?

oldnpastit

Can you wipe it and install Linux? I think that will fix it.

Cougar

Don’t make me hurt you.

You’re all missing something. I asked how / why, perhaps that’s the wrong question?

ulysse
    Free Member

They’ve been browsing those Danish “art” websites havent they?

That wasn’t wallpaper paste sticking the keys down, either

shermer75
    Free Member

User has watched The Manchurian Candidate too many times 🙂

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Was the task/batch file combo created for a specific reason? – Rather than a fat finger/wrong script issue?

woody2000

^^ was explorer getting in the way of something? A game maybe?

molgrips
    Free Member

You’re all missing something. I asked how / why, perhaps that’s the wrong question?

The user did it himself?

The c: location certainly points to inept programming userness.

molgrips
    Free Member

Or a prank from a mate?

shermer75
    Free Member

Agreed, it looks to me like the user did it. Just not sure why!!?

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

I guess they must have had admin privs to create in the root of C

“why there?” I ponder – not “usually” a location for a non techy user to use – many things would default to one of the librarys.

woody2000

“why there?”

So they don’t have to remember (or know) to quote the path to avoid issues with spaces in the directory names? On a home edition of Windows you can pretty much do what you like in any part of the filesystem IIRC! Can’t imagine *NIX allowing any old user to drop a file in / 😉

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

If you open Task Scheduler as admin, what is in the Author column for this particular job? Is the author the same as the (main) user?

Who’s the Owner (security) of the .vbs file?

Cougar

I’ll repeat something I said earlier.

It’s a home machine. No-one else has used it in months.

Yet the ‘fault’ only manifested a couple of weeks back…?

Cougar

If you open Task Scheduler as admin, what is in the Author column for this particular job? Is the author the same as the (main) user?

Who’s the Owner (security) of the .vbs file?

I didn’t think to check TBH. There’s only one user account on the laptop though (and it was something lame like “user,” presumably an OEM preconfiguration). EDIT – “Owner” I think it was.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Erm.

Has Windows Explorer been set to launch each folder in a separate process, so basically “loads” of explorer.exe processes are created… and this task is to hoof them all in the slats?

Or something’s spawning multiple explorer.exe?….

Straws! My straws! They slip thru my fingers!…

bob_summers

millennium bug.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Are we to presume it’s the user/owner wot dunnit?

There seem to be two steps configured (.vbs then .bat) – wouldn’t just the .bat have been sufficient?

Why might I want explorer to be terminated (and not restart)? An obscure way of stopping something else happening? Gaslighting someone else? Danger**** timer?

What’s the relationship between work colleague and laptop owner?

wordnumb
    Free Member

Your colleague is testing you and you’re about to be initiated into some secretive team / cult / mission and flown to a distant world to become a hero like in the Last Starfighter.

Cougar

Are we to presume it’s the user/owner wot dunnit?

I don’t believe so. It’d be a nonsense to do that knowingly and then wonder why it was playing up?

There seem to be two steps configured (.vbs then .bat) – wouldn’t just the .bat have been sufficient?

IIRC it can be awkward to get the syntax just right when scheduling batch files, you need to invoke command.com /c to launch them. I’m assuming this was a workaround (though I’d have thought launching external scripts from VB required greater knowledge than scheduling a task).

Cougar

What’s the relationship between work colleague and laptop owner?

They’re friends. The colleague is a techie, she was the one who advised her to throw MBAM at it.

shermer75
    Free Member

Your colleague is testing you and you’re about to be initiated into some secretive team / cult / mission and flown to a distant world to become a hero like in the Last Starfighter.

Initiate Death Blossom?

twicewithchips
    Free Member

It’d be a nonsense to do that knowingly and then wonder why it was playing up?

Badly phrased Q. on my part- I was guessing the owner of the machine had done it, but the user (your colleague) wanted the help to fix it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘Fix this laptop?’ is closed to new replies.