Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • five ten shoes are they worth the money (any offers)
  • cabbage84
    Free Member

After splitting my shoes today I am thinking about investing in a set of five tens. Are they worth the money. I split my riding between using flats and spds depends what and where im riding. looking at the impact lows and sam hill lows possibly karvers. Anyone know of places doing deals on them at the minte ran the usual google search but someone on here usually knows somewehere cheaper for stuff

Northwind

If you ride in all weathers, then no… they’re supremely grippy but at the end of the day cheaply made, with no thought towards wet weather at all. Mine just rotted away in one winter, they soak up so much water and stay wet for so long that I think it did for the glues and stitching and they just fell apart. Cardboard insoles ffs.

Also bulky with a very thick sole (people spend a fortune on thin pedals then wearing 5-10 platform shoes…) The grip is unmatched but there are plenty of shoes that provide “more grip than you need”

If you ride mostly in the dry then the biggest downsides aren’t an issue though.

The Shimano AM41 is a better allround shoe but also very ugly.

sofaking
    Free Member

18bikes have a few on offer
    [/url]

Coyote
    Free Member

If you dry them out properly then they will last. I favour stuffing and wrapping them in newspaper. Dries them out pretty quickly I find.

Northwind

Used newspaper, also used my Dampires, still not enough to dry them out before the next ride. Not helped by not being able to remove the insoles.

(by contrast, my AM40s have proper removable insoles and with them out dry out overnight with the Dampires in).

Nonsense
    Free Member

You can always get a pair of shoes re-soled in stealth rubber. Don’t have to be five tens. Feet First do it.

nick1962
    Free Member

I would say they are worth the money if you can get them quite a few quid below RRP which you can if you shop around.
    Whilst I agree with Northwind about them not being ideal in wet weather I have had no probs. with mine.Use hem with Sealskinz to keep my feet dry.Rinse them down when I clean my bike and just stick them near or sometimes on a radiator to dry.No signs at all of any wear yet 18 months on.
    Maybe Northwind had an older pair as they were apparently updated to be more durable and wet weather friendly a couple of years back so i believe.

ivantate
    Free Member

I really can’t see how they can be worth the money that they charge.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

I’ve had a pair of impact mids for 2 years and I use them all year round..sun, rain and snow and had no problems. As for the grip, they are excellent!

elaineanne
    Free Member

they are very chunky and give you good support at the ankle, but the down side is they take for ever and a day to dry out… ive put mine in the washer b4 now when they got so muddy with boggy peat mud and it took 4-5days to completely dry out…. (not good)… i have a spare set of Gortex walking shoes that i use in normal weather ….i have sunline flat pedals so my feet dont slip… if i was to buy some more shoes i would go for something else. ive had a few pair of specialized mtb shoes but i seem to wear them out in 6 months of use ?

seabadger

Got a pair of Black Impact Lows in size 10, decent condition, nice and cheap, PM me if interested!

dingabell
    Free Member

I love mine. I have a pair of the Sam Hill five tens and have worn them all through the winter with no probs. Don’t get too hot in the summer either. They also have a pair of removable inners so you can wash them/dry them seperately. The stealth rubber soles are so grippy. Cost quite a lot but in my humble opinion are worth every penny.

grum
    Free Member

Used newspaper, also used my Dampires, still not enough to dry them out before the next ride. Not helped by not being able to remove the insoles.
    (by contrast, my AM40s have proper removable insoles and with them out dry out overnight with the Dampires in).

My freeriders have proper removable innersoles. They have lasted pretty well and don’t take ages to dry either.

davidrussell
    Free Member

my 5:10’s are a few years old now and are my only shoes

pros:

foot grip is unparalleled on rock, even wet slippy stuff
    grip on a platform pedal is superb, drop your foot on a pedal and it sticks like glue.
    comfy
    stealth sole is durable, mine still going stong years later. build quality generally is good with seams etc on mine still intact.

cons:
    soak up water like a sponge and take ages to dry
    heavy, heavier when wet
    sole is really slippy on wet grass
    cardboard liner on the sole was a fail, ripped it out though and just use the insole.

tomlevell

I found them too grippy on flat pedals and was unable to make adjustments. Hadn’t ridden flats for a while and always used canvas skate Vans.

Red Karvers in 42 (I think) if your interested.

Northwind

Teva Links seem to be going out of stock pretty fast, JE James was cheapest and now out of size 9s 🙁

armo
    Free Member

Worth every penny just replaced my first pair that I bought in 2005! Yeah they do get wet (mine were the suede ones(impact 1))and take a while to dry but the benefits of the grip far out weigh the minor issues. I put mine in the washing machine after every muddy ride and the uppers are still in great condition, the soles have just worn through but are still super grippy after all this time. Buy some and your riding will improve guaranteed!

Northwind

armo – Member

Buy some and your riding will improve guaranteed!

Say what?

cabbage84
    Free Member

I need a size 9 otherwise would of been interested

colournoise

grum – Member
    My freeriders have proper removable innersoles. They have lasted pretty well and don’t take ages to dry either

This.

slainte 🙂 rob

Northwind

My freeriders had cardboard 🙁 Nice that they’ve started to listen though.

Tenuous
    Free Member

I treated my impacts with some fabric and leather waterproofing spray and it made a huge difference to the water intake. Went from ‘sodden in a light shower’ to ‘a couple of small wet spots after a massive cloudburst and hail storm’.

dans160
    Free Member

Tell me of this ‘waterproofing’ spray…

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Had mine for over 2 years? maybe more. I don’t need a new pair yet either.

Best shoes for mountain biking I’ve ever had.

johnhe

Yes they are worth the money in my opinion. I’ve had mine for years and they’re still going strong. Absolutely fantastic on flats.

xiphon
    Free Member

Apparently babies nappies are very good for soaking up the damp inside 5.10s.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘five ten shoes are they worth the money (any offers)’ is closed to new replies.