Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • “Five go mad on Dartmoor!” (well, 6 bivvying actually).
  • Shinythings
    Free Member

A few STWers and some of the Clevedon lads came down for a jolly lads wknd out on the Moor.
    Weather absolutely perfect, quite a tough ride right across the east Moor, a few beers and a slap up meal in the Warren, then off out under the stars to a remote spot to generally lark about and try to sleep. Oh, and to scare the crap out of a DOE group practising night navigation! They weren’t expecting us, heh heh 😆
    Absolute cracker!
    http://aol.pixum.co.uk/slide/4277766

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

didn’t even know there were Clevedon lads??

where do they ride then, coz i have lived in Clevedon for twenty years and never found anyone to ride with.

anyway Dartmoor looked good!!

taka
    Free Member

looks fun and somthing i might do in the chilly dales lol flasby fell maby?

knottie8
    Free Member

brill !

sharki
    Free Member

A sleep over in the ruins at bottom of the golden triangle??

looks horrid and a dull ride. Where’s the little stone that Si is popping off? looks familiar.

‘Stids

Shinythings
    Free Member

thehillsofsomerset –
    You are joking??!! I used to live there and we started doing a thursday night ride many years ago. The group is still out every Thurs along with additional members, usually across Cadbury/Portbury.
    One of them will see this and give you an invite (Colin, Paul?).

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve ridden on and off with the Clevedon lads since just after Shinythings buggered off to more southerly climes as far as I can tell. I’ve kind of fallen out of the habit now, riding more locally to Mendip, especially since I was made a man of leisure about 6 weeks ago.

They’re a good bunch!

Hoping to Bivvy later this year on Exmoor. Annoyed that Hayden managed it before I did!

Was it cold? Paul looks a little brass monkeys.

Envious!

Shinythings
    Free Member

Sharki, We did think of you, but we didn’t think you’d be able to get down. Another one up soon, so we’ll let you know.

Scienceofficer, You should get back out there. I went up the other wknd to see the latest trails and there’s some some real good stuff that they’ve added.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You mean Clevedon Woods? I rode back through there on my last day after I handed the company car back. Theres some nice work going on.

Del

well done!
    blimey! i know that rock. looper.
    GF’s cousin’s wedding celebration unfortunately. looks like you managed alright though. 🙂
    how’s the chest Jim?

Shinythings
    Free Member

Never mind that rock Del, think about the takeoff on Hameldown long! Yes! Bloody youngsters 😯
    Ribs did not like Bivvying, but not really stopping me from riding, just kills when I pull up on the bars. Spose St. Andrews had to get me some time.
    Bell you soon as I need your On One expertise Ref Tugs and clamps.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Nice one Jim,looks like you guys had a cracking time.

i’ve put in a request with my mate in the forces to acquire a Bivvy bag for me, maybe some rations too, so you better organise another one when i havent got other ‘duties’

slugwash
    Free Member

Cheers guys, a brilliant ride, meal and bivvy.

When you’re out in the star-lit wilds with the fresh clean air blowing all around you there’s nothing better than being blinded all night by 1,000,000 lumen head-torches whilst inhaling the secondary cigarette fumes from chain-smoking ‘I only smoke when I’m pissed’ mountain bikers 😉

More photos from the Dartmoor/Somerset Hip-Hop Bivvy Boyz Posse Kamp-out…
    Si tries to establish just who exactly made the latest jibe about his pink helmet…

These bloody donkeys kept on getting in the way…

Worried early riser Shinythings works out just how many of his fags social smoker Paul
    caned the previous evening…..

Stealth twitcher Paul determined to catch the first baby robin of the season on camera…

simonralli2
    Free Member

Looks great. Apparently there is bivvying on Dartmoor as part of my MSc. Great pics and maybe hope to join you guys for a ride or two when I move down later this year.

Si

BikestyleBilly
    Free Member

Jim – you had painful ribs?? You could have mentioned it at some point!! ;0)

ScienceOfficer – have you got a real name? That’s not Colin The Third is it?? You seem to recognise Paul & Hayden but also refer to us as “a good bunch” which confused me. Either you are mixing us up with someone else or just taking the p!ss!

Hillsofsomerset – yes plenty of riders in Clevedon, tho we have just picked up another chap who said exactly the same thing & never seemed to see anybody out. There are a few of us who ride every Thurs & most Tues. Feel free to join us. Thurs meet at All Saints Church @ 6.30 (though this week we are riding on Mendips to see what the CLIC course is like). Usually just head up over Cadbury Camp/Portbury etc. Tues night meet in same place at just before 8.00 for a shorter blast. We don’t take it too seriously & always end up in at least 1 pub. Just turn up & tell the first biker who arrives that “Billy sent you” Alternatively go & see Phil The Bike Gimp in Bikestyle. He often organises rides from the shop on a Weds evening.

Weekend was a great laugh. Great ride as ever Jim. Can’t wait to get the bivvy out again, but I’m going to make Paul carry his own cider next time!

Shinythings
    Free Member

If weather stays as it is then I will be doing plenty more. The Moor is such a great place to Bivvy. It’s hard to get people motivated and organised tho, so maybe another’s turn?

Hopefully Slugwash will treat us to some Roadkill rations and regale us with more bizzarre animal noises(awake and asleep)!

Colin, Get some dates from the others and we’ll ‘do’ the west moor.
    It’s a pleasure for me, Si and Rich to do our civic duty and show remedial groups around 😉

Mr Ralli, Just say the word, there’s always something going on

sharki
    Free Member

When i’m sorted you up for a QED with me and si and as mentioned before a kayak bivvi on the beach….meebie a spot of midnight kayak fishing and cooked fishy oms washed down with lots of beer..so long as you’re down wind of me….

Shinythings
    Free Member

Course I am! Slugwash would probably like that too.
    Funnily enough, ask Tim today what wknd he and Anna wanted to go paddling/beachcombing.

I’ll go find my Tele-rods for to catch me some Mackerel and find some grits and jerky.

Said to Si that I was real keen on getting a trans Dartmoor ride in too

Burchy1
    Free Member

Jim – Plymouth-Exeter ride was a good one last year, i’d be up for doing that again. works well linked up with trains from NA aswell.

Shinythings
    Free Member

Just say the word 🙂
    Like to do the Okehampton-South Brent too

sharki
    Free Member

extreme fishing with the sw mtb posse……fugging hilarious…..i kin get some snorkelling gear and lights for a reet fish poaching chance, whittle some spears from drift wood, awesome, hic.

slugwash
    Free Member

kayak bivvi on the beach….meebie a spot of midnight kayak fishing and cooked fishy oms washed down with lots of beer

I’d be into that. I have access to open canoes (river/estuary use only) or kayaks if anyone’s short of one.

I’ll go find my Tele-rods for to catch me some Mackerel

I’ll get my ABU fish smoker down fron the loft then 🙂

Said to Si that I was real keen on getting a trans Dartmoor ride in too

Me and Ian (that’s full-moon-night-ride Ian) have been planning to do an off-road, trans Dartmoor, coast to coast for the last year or three. The main stumbling block has been the lack of compatability between available dates and access across the military firing ranges on the moor. Must try again this year.

Shinythings
    Free Member

Hmmm…. thinking about it, we’ve got another bank hol in a couple of weeks…….I can feel another Bivvy coming on. Be good training for Clic24 too.

Who’s up for leaving a car at South Brent or Ivybridge and loading the van up to Okehampton…..c’mon you know it makes sense 😉

slugwash
    Free Member

Who’s up for leaving a car at South Brent or Ivybridge and loading the van up to Okehampton…..c’mon you know it makes sense

Hows about we just steal a van from Newton Abbot, drive up to Okehampton, torch it on the edge of the moor, cycle down to South Brent and nick another van there to get us home. That’ll make sense 😉

sharki
    Free Member

or lend a vehicle to a cripple who would like to bivvy but can’t do the riding bit inbetween 🙂

Shinythings
    Free Member

My car torching days are over, sorry. Wild fires are my bag now 😉

If this lot agree to getting an overnighter going for the bank hol then we’ll get you picked up somehow. Anyway, we need someone to set the camp and get the roadkill in the broiler!

Any takers?

knottie8
    Free Member

well sharki lives close to me so maybe I should make the effort ! I’ll see if im free.

Shinythings
    Free Member

That’s the sort of talk we like to hear Paul 🙂

Lets get a bank hol walk’n’ride going. I can sort plenty of bivvy kit if anyone short.

trailmonkey

freaks

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Hi Billy, I am indeed the third!

BikestyleBilly
    Free Member

And of all the Colins – the most missed!

Shinythings
    Free Member

Do I know Colin the 3rd?….. Although if he’s one of Billy’s mates….. 😯

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Lol!

I don’t think so Shinythings. You’d buggered off a few months before I started riding with those crazy fools!

SweetJumps
    Free Member

Finally I’ve got on STW and made a post!
    Good skills Jimbo on the weekend for guiding without getting you map out.
    Thanks to Simon as well for helping out when you buggered off for a dump mid ride.
    I understand from previous messages above that you may have been suffering from a sore rib cage – You should have mentioned it on the day and we could have been sympathetic.
    Thanks for all the fags. I might bring a packet next time a see you.
    We (the Clevedon lot)went out on the Mendips last night to burn up the trail as a quick practice for CLIC24. Dry and dusty trails await anyone coming. We only had two flats and a gaping leg would to show for our efforts after one hour of riding, nothing so spectacular on Dartmoor!

SweetJumps
    Free Member

Colin the Third, when are you back out for a ride with us, we are still out every week and now the sun’s back out in the evenings Hayden and Jules have started to play again.

Shinythings
    Free Member

Pauly, what you doing on here? It just ain’t normal 🙂

I’d forgotten about my extreme emergency mercy dump dash!

Fingers crossed for good Clic weather, eh?

What you lot doing on bank hol?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Mr Ruddick, my attendance to Clevedon will largely be dictated by when I have funds to run my car! Living a quiet life at the moment to stretch the cash out as far as I can. This means local riding. Still, it weren’t bad last night eh?

(I was out too, but avoided the Clic circuit since there were roughly, oooo, a million folk out practising the course.) Still managed three hours and barely used any of the clic route.

SweetJumps
    Free Member

Col 3rd, are you coming up to CLIC this year, if so look our for us, we usually have quite a big camp with a chimineer going full tilt to help dry out sweaty clothing.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘“Five go mad on Dartmoor!” (well, 6 bivvying actually).’ is closed to new replies.