Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Fitting Hope Press fit BB without the "proper" tool?
  • sam_underhill

Looks like there’s no reason why a headset press shouldn’t do the job for the cups.
    I assume the same for the drive side bearing, making sure that the press goes on the outside of the bearing.

But what about tightening up the sleeve? it looks like a pretty large size hex fitting. What are people using?

sam_underhill

Bump for the morning peeps.

spectabilis
    Free Member

I’ve fitted one fairly recently without the Hope tool.
    Homemade headset press then can’t quite remember how I nipped up the sleeve…Maybe a set of pliers pulled open to jam against the flats… something like that.

alanf
    Free Member

Do you know the size of the hex in the sleeve?
    You can get pretty big hex key/sections for removing motorcycle front wheels. If you know the size these may work.
    Have a look on ebay.

scaredypants

me, here:

I used the hex part of an old BB tool but it wasn’t quite the right size and was worried it’d slip and **** everything up.

Hate to say it but the proper tool is probably what you should use

br
    Free Member

Yea, sod it just slap it in – it’s not like Hope know what they are doing… 🙄

sam_underhill

Cheers chaps,
    I guess the sleeve doesn’t need to be that tight, just nipped up a little to help stop the cups moving back out?
    It the first time I’ve needed to deal with a PF41 BB, so I probably will get the tool at some point. If the tool takes a while to arrive, might need to get it fitted before hand in order to get the bike rideable.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Fitting Hope Press fit BB without the "proper" tool?’ is closed to new replies.