• This topic has 23 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Fitting a star fangled nut
  • BoardinBob

Do you need the proper tool to do it or is there a cheat to avoid buying the tool or getting the LBS to do it?

wors

I just threaded a bolt through the hole in the nut and knocked it in. Just make sure it doesn’t kick over. and make sure the the bolt comes through the other side of the nut.

takisawa2

What wors said.

retro83
    Free Member

there’s a proper tool for fitting them?

Stoner
    Free Member

there’s a proper tool for fitting them?

known as a hammer.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The proper tool is lovely to use, but a bit expensive for all the amount I would use it.

Hadge
    Free Member

Had to laugh the other day in our shop. A customer had brought his bike in as he had “attempted” to fit a new set of forks he had purchased. He had driven the star nut that far down the steerer tube it was unreal but worst of all he had then driven it back up the steerer tube! This had caused the tube to split and so trash a brand new set of forks! Luckily the steerer is replaceable but why did he think he could fit them when he clearly hadn’t a clue. Just beggars belief at times

ivan_w_1983
    Free Member

I just got a pair of forks from merlin cycles and the star nut was at a 30° angle. It wouldnt move, luckily I had top lop of the top of the tube anyway and the guy at cycle surgery gave me a free star nut.
    I used bits from my socket set to make sure everything went in square

tinribz
    Free Member

I just put a Phillips screwdriver through and tap it in.

Xan
    Free Member

same as above rubber mallet and hit the top of the bolt. Don’t hit too hard or you might damage the thread. You bought new forks?

jonb
    Free Member

Sacrificial bolt and hammer. There is a tool and it essentially does the same thing with a guide.

The SFN isn’t structurally important. Once you’ve tightened up and compressed the headset you tighten the bolts on the stem which is what structurally holds everything together. Or so I’m led to believe, no doubt someone will claim otherwise…

dobo
    Free Member
    druidh
    Free Member

Cheaper at Merlin

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=328&categoryId=31

Given the price of forks and headsets, I really can’t understand why anyone would scrimp on another £8.50 for a decent tool.

jahwomble
    Free Member

hammer + cut off broomstick or piece of doweling thats a reasonably snug fit in the steerer tube

If you tap it in too far, keep going and it just falls out the other end. Start again.

dobo
    Free Member

the icetools one does look the same as the xtools one, bargin.
    i dont think its possible to get it wrong with one of these tools

Anthony
    Free Member

I have spent about 10yrs faffing about trying to knock them in straight using just a bolt. It always worked but was a bit hit and miss. After spending £15 on the Pedros tool I really wish I had done it back in 1998.

Screw on nut, slide over steerer, whack with hammer, job done. Perfect depth and perfectly straight. Perfick.

coffeeking
    Free Member
    smiffy

Top Tip: dig out an old canti brake block from the bottom of the toolbox. Thread it into the starnut and give one clear clear sharp twit with a hammer. If it’s a good clean blow it will be in dead straight. If you pussied it at all it will be a bit skewed. Just spin the brake block around to the right angle and tap it straight. Satisfyingly pikey-cheap yet efficacious.

Stoner
    Free Member

smiffy – I want your babies.

Thats the kind of shed-based knowlegede that should be sent into space with a backing track by Handel 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

screwdriver through the middle. Tap it in with a hammer, not much works better

warpcow
    Free Member

Sorry to revive a dead thread but I just need a little clarification on what the suggested screwdriver might look like. Am I correct in assuming that the drivey bit (hence the question 😳 ) should go all the way through so the handle sits up against the nut, and that the handle should not be so wide that it blocks the edges of the nut from bending? Otherwise I just managed to bolt a stack of washers to the nut, will that be fine too?

tron
    Free Member

Come on. If you can't work out how to knock a star fangled nut in, pay a man to do it for you. It's obvious!

warpcow
    Free Member

I know. I can do most things, but the 'hit it hard and hope it works' stuff still gets me twitchy. I've managed to dig out most of the suggested 'tools' now, so I guess I just have to go bite the bullet.

DezB
    Free Member

I always used the bolt-through-the-middle-whack-with-hammer technique until I tried Fox Floats – the steerer was so much thicker… so spent a tenner on the tool from Bikegoo.
    No sweat.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Fitting a star fangled nut’ is closed to new replies.