Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • First ticks of the year
  • matt_outandabout

I’ve just pulled two out of mrs_oab’s arm and one from my ankle.

We had walked 10km down a country lane today, stepped into the verge for 4 cars, that’s it.

Ticks people.
    Be aware.

zippykona

My friend’s dog had one. He removed it then we wrapped it in tissue and set fire to the little ****.

toomba
    Free Member

Removed my first of the year couple of days ago. Was amazed at the hold the little pest had!

reluctantjumper

That reminds me, must put my tick tweezers in my pack ready for when I need them.

Normally have had one by now as two of the areas I ride at this time of year are breeding grounds for them – FOD off-piste stuff before the growth closes them off and bits of the Beacons before the ferns get too high. Lockdown here has stopped me going there so I haven’t thought about the critters yet. Have had a bout of Lyme’s disease a few years ago that thankfully was caught early, don’t want to have that worry again.

maccruiskeen

My friend’s dog had one. He removed it then we wrapped it in tissue and set fire to the little ****.

Woof

CraigW
    Free Member

I had a few ticks at least a month ago. Problem with these mild winters, even up north.
    And a couple more this week. Not surprising, as was out running through heather etc.

scotroutes

Aye, brushed a couple off my legs when I was out earlier. Time to start Smidging up

kerley
    Free Member

First one on dog about a month ago

tomd
    Free Member

Found one on my son yesterday, he’d being doing quite a bit of playing in the woods so not a massive surprise. Time to get smidged up. Came out nicely with twister tool thing though.

I think 2018 was a record year for me tick wise, must have sat on tick nest. Got 9 in one go!

captainclunkz
    Free Member

Yeah the little buggers are out in force now. I pulled 2 out of my dog at the weekend

mashr

First one here around 3 weeks ago. Smidge are doing a tick tracker if you want to contribute

arcing
    Free Member

We get deer in the garden so I’ve already pulled 5 off me this year. First was probably 6 weeks ago. In the 4 years we’ve been here I must have been nipped about 30-40 times. I keep an eye on them, but none have ever caused me any problems.

BillMC

‘woof’, that’s genius

maccruiskeen

I think 2018 was a record year for me tick wise, must have sat on tick nest. Got 9 in one go!

Back in the late 90s I sat in the bath removing them and stopped counting at 20. Had been lying in the grass halfway up a hill somewhere near Pitlochry reading Foucults Pendulum.

globalti
    Free Member

Mrs Gti and I both had them on our honeymoon in Scotland and with our impending retirement to Scotland I’m quite concerned about reports of increased numbers. How on Earth do people find them? Check the legs over after being out?

And how do you find them on dogs and cats?

CraigW
    Free Member

Check the legs over after being out?

Check your legs, and your arms, and your back, and your armpits, and your bollocks…

And how do you find them on dogs and cats?

After a few days of sucking up blood they can get pretty big. A lot easier to spot then.

scotroutes

I pulled 23 out after a 3-day bikepacking trip this time last year. 4 in a row down my collarbone was a particular highlight.

mashr

They like dark and moist…. let that be your guide

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’ve been using frontline plus on my dog. It isn’t cheap but I’ve found 2 ticks who have embedded into her and both have been dead, which I believe is point of treatment.

Makes me wonder why something similar isn’t available for humans

jonswhite

Think yourselves lucky. We have started to get Hayalommma Giant Tropical Ticks (Daily Mail preferred description!) here in Germany.
    Size: Adult males and females before feeding are approx. 2–10 mm, engorged females up to 25 mm
    Hosts: Hoofed animals such as pigs, goats, sheep and camels, but also humans. They sense a potential victim up to nine meters away and will follow it for up to ten minutes over a distance of up to 100 meters

cinnamon_girl

Please see this thread for details of where to buy a tick twister and how to use:

PSA Lidl tick removal kit

matt_outandabout

Three more today in another mini_oab….

Watch out folks

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘First ticks of the year’ is closed to new replies.