Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • first real bike for a beginner.
  • cluke
    Free Member

hi my brother aged 11 is into single track and da little bit of dirt jumps, but nothing big, he was looking for a first bike. i was thinking maybe a specialized p1 all mountain 2009 jump bike. what do you think?

stratobiker
    Free Member

Dude, who are you?

cluke
    Free Member

is that relevant?

Jamie
    Free Member

I think its a bug in the new board software where new members names are not displayed….if thats what your on about stratobiker?

cluke
    Free Member

k cheers, is there any recommendations? thanks again
    luke

clareymorris

Yeah yeah yeah……do it!

stratobiker
    Free Member

Jamie – Thanks, that’s what I was on about. It’s bizarre innit?

No offence intended OP.
    Specialized make great bikes.
    I have a 2007 P3 I’m still trying to learn to jump on. It’s excellent.

GW
    Free Member

how tall is he?

cluke
    Free Member

he is about 160cm! thanks sorry bout that! so would you say that the p1 is ok or more a p2 or 3 bearing in mind i dont really wanna spend more than £400 on it.
    thanks
    luke

GW
    Free Member

he’s still quite small for a full sized 26″ wheel jump bike for pure jumping but a jumpbike would make a good allrounder for him.
    Bear in mind, almost all £400 jump bikes with sus forks will have absolutely awful (uncontrolled damping) forks that probably won’t even have aftermarket springs to set them up for his weight.

my choice for your money would be get a cheaper jump bike and scour the classifieds for a decent s/h mid range XC fork with whatever money you have left over. a DJ fork will prob be oversprung and overly heavy for a youngster.

oh.. here’s a thought.. http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=1434&categoryId=129 & £200 left over to look for a s/h fork, mech shifter, chain and cassette

cluke
    Free Member

thanks very much

SweetJumps
    Free Member

GT Avalanche 1.0 or 2.0 is a good starter hardtail. It will allow him to practice bike skills and picking a line before he gets complacent on a full susser. Should be around your £400 prive tag too.

cluke
    Free Member

that is a very good idea thanks!

cluke
    Free Member

wat would you say about the GT tempest?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

A friend has an avalanche and it feels horrible over jumps. could just be a bars/stem issue but yeugh

cluke
    Free Member

ok wat would u recommend? thanks for all the help by the way!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘first real bike for a beginner.’ is closed to new replies.