• This topic has 34 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ogden.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • First full suspension mtb
  • ogden
    Free Member

Hi, in the process of buying my first full suspension mountain bike always ridden hard tail before. I had ordered a Canyon Spectral AL 6.0 but cancelled it today after a ridiculous wait and piss poor customer service during which they lied countless times! Don’t care how nice the bike is out of principle it needed to be cancelled.

Any how budget of around £2000 but I’m no means of an expert on bikes, I’ve rounded it down to these:
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s183p5813/GIANT-TRANCE-27-5-1-2015

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/nukeproof-mega-tr-275-comp-bike-2015/rp-prod117262

And I’m drawn to the Bird Aeris as well due to the fact it’s a bit different, UK built etc

What would everyone recommended in this sort of price range? I could probably get a base line bike and be happy but don’t want to do that and then want to upgrade the whole thing in a year or so.

Bike is mainly for riding Trails like hamsterley and local woods

Thanks,

Callum

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

The 2016 version of the Whyte T-130 S is slightly over budget but it’s well rated and runs a wide range 1×11 drivetrain, so no extra expense if you were to want to upgrade from 10 speed in future There was a post on the STW front page yesterday (I think) about it.

chestrockwell

When you say the bird is UK built, do you mean assembled? Frame is from the Far East isn’t it? Not that that’s a problem mind but I’d have thought most bikes bought from a lbs would count as UK built in that case?

ogden
    Free Member

Thanks asdfhjkl I’ll have a look at that!

chestrockwell Haha yeah maybe I phrased that wrong lol, well it’s a small UK company and they are a good spec and a good price. Yeah I guess most are assembled here lol

leftyboy
    Free Member

I have a 2015 T-130 Works which is fantastic so the 2016 T-130 S will be a good ride if a bit over budget. My riding buddy has a 2015 Bird Aeris which is similar spec to my Works but the frame is also excellent so a good base for a £2k budget.

Also have to say both Whyte and Bird are really good on customer service so if that matters, to me it does, then I’d avoid mail order.

HTH

wrightyson
    Free Member

Love my tr 275 in the 2014 pro flavour. C3hanged the forks for pikes that crc did as a ridiculously cheap upgrade. Got me round ardrock sport this year into the top 10 percent and never once felt underbiked with the “only” 130 mm of travel. Notice you now get a dropper on the comp model which was part of the reason I went to the pro last year when I bought it.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

It’s a STW cliche, but do try some – not one, but some – before you buy. Everyone’s first full susser* is the most amazing bike they’ve ever ridden, but ride some back to back and you may be able to pick up on the differences that will make your enjoyment even greater. As a great example I rode 2 of my shortlist back to back at Cannock a few years ago. One was a Yeti ASR5 and the other an Orange 5. Both were 5″ travel full sussers but they could not have been more different in character to ride. Neither were bad bikes but one suited me much better than the other.

Failing that, there aren’t really many bad bikes out there anymore. Whatever you get, I’m sure it will be a hoot.

*supermarket special excepted

ogden
    Free Member

leftyboy after dealing with Canyon anyone’s customer service will look brilliant to me now lol but yeah definitely an important factor!

stilltortoise Yeah I plan on trying a few before I buy, well apart from the bird as you can only demo down south. Yeah I was sort of getting the impression with everything I looked at that they all seem good! I’m going to find good and bad review on everything. I guess just because a former pro reviewing a 2k mountain bike finds an issue doesn’t mean I’d ever notice lol

kayla1
    Free Member

This is around £1500 including delivery-

http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/mtb-meta-sl-1-26-c2x12501253

26″ though, if that phases you.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I guess just because a former pro reviewing a 2k mountain bike finds an issue doesn’t mean I’d ever notice lol

Very true 🙂

In my experience I didn’t even know my old (and first) full susser had an issue until I rode a different one. It’s like wine (bear with me). That £5 bottle of Shiraz in Morrisons may taste great to you, but you may find the Merlot is even better for the same price and you won’t know unless you try.

Rustychain
    Free Member

I was in a similar position recently (a life time of hard tail).

I went for the Aeris and don’t have a single regret. It’s light enough for cross country, a killer for enduro and can also handle downhill (I rode Hamsterley Descend at the weekend).

I was interested in the Capra, but decided I couldn’t face the potential down-time involved; send duff part to Germany, duff part gets sent to whichever supplier, which gets sent back to Germany and then back to me! No thanks.

So far customer service has been great. And the bike has taken my riding to the next level.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you can get the Bird with a Pike and Monarch RT for your budget then I’d go for that.

Nice geometry and it looks like a good compromise for the riding you describe.

The Capra will be too heavy for what you describe.

ogden
    Free Member

Rustychain what spec Aries did you go for? Did you demo it before you got it or demo many others?

chakaping thanks for the response, what travel would you recommend? Lots of options with them! More isn’t always better I guess

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden one, but if buying I’d go for a 150mm fork I think, just ‘cos I like a low BB and having the same travel both ends.

It’s easy-ish to switch later on a Pike by changing the air shaft.

markshires
    Free Member

I was in the same position, I had a Spectral on order for a couple of months and then when my due date was up, and I contacted them they hadn’t got a clue about my expected delivery date so I also cancelled my order.

In the end I also decided on a Bird Aeris, if you speak to them you can spec it up how you want it, which was great. It then took less than a week from order to delivery! I took it for a test ride around the local woods yesterday and it was brilliant.

ogden
    Free Member

markshires did you demo one first or just go for it? What spec did you go for?

markshires
    Free Member

I didn’t demo one it was too far away to make it to demo one.

As for the spec, I started with the base model and then just upgraded the forks to the Pikes RCT3 and the shock to the Monarch RT3, and added a reverb. I also upgraded the wheels. I wasn’t too fussed about the gearing as I don’t really feel any benefit in the Shimano 10 speed across the levels and the new 11 speed was out of my budget. If you speak to them and if there is anything particular that you want on the bike I am sure they could accommodate it.

jairaj

It’s a STW cliche, but do try some – not one, but some – before you buy.

This!

When I was demoing for my first full susser I was surprised at how different they all felt. I’d never even done a “car park” demo on any full suss before but I could definitely feel the difference in the geometry and suspension characteristics in each bike. for example the Treks I tried felt very smooth and composed. The Cannondale felt like a mini DH while the Transition was really fun to ride making me launch of every little bump like it was a jump.

All were good bikes but felt very different.

ogden
    Free Member
    ogden
    Free Member

Think I might go and have a sit on that trance sx at the local shop in york and maybe order from the shop in london. problem is I can demo the Bird as I’m in North Yorkshire

benpinnick

One of our lovely customers might be willing to meet up with you Ogden?

reefer110
    Free Member
    joolsburger
    Free Member

I’d get this http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b65s183p5688/CANNONDALE-TRIGGER-CARBON-2-27-5-2015

That is a lot of bike for the money.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s heresy on here I know, but I’ve rarely even sat on a bike before buying it. I just like getting a good deal too much.

If you read some reviews you trust and pay proper attention to sizing you’re generally fine. I’m sure Bird could offer accurate sizing advice taking your height and leg/torso length into account.

Had a look at their bike configurator tool, personally I’d be happy with Monarch RT debonair and Pike RC rather than the fancier version of each unit. The basic ones are so good.

markshires
    Free Member

@ogden I’m in Wakefield, if that’s any good to you. your welcome to have a quick go.

@benpinnick we can arrange some commission later lol!

ogden
    Free Member

Pretty much set on this Trance SX

http://www.h2gear.co.uk/120063/products/2015-giant-trance-sx-27-5-full-suspension-mountain-bike.aspx

Cant seem to find anything that can beat it for the price, went to a few LBS’s yesterday and liked the fit of the Giant Trance.

anyone ever used h2gear.co.uk? can’t find much out about them?

anyone got any last min alternatives to look at ?

Thanks! Callum

chakaping
    Free Member

It looks like a good bike, I really like how Giant’s suspension system feels and their frames are top notch in my experience.

Obvious upgrade there would be the wheelset. I just bought a Reign with the same wheels and sold them unused for £130.

Just thought I’d mention that. Probably fine for what they are.

ogden
    Free Member

What did you upgrade to Chankaping?

chakaping
    Free Member

Crossmax XL – discounted on CRC atm

ogden
    Free Member

Thanks I’ll keep that in mind!

Anyone else got any opinions before I make the purchase?

ogden
    Free Member

Done Giant Trance SX 2015! now I don’t have to spend every second of free time comparing mountain bikes lol

Rustychain
    Free Member

Ogden – I’m in York. Feel free to PM me and lets see if we can sort something out. I did a test ride when Bird were visiting an Enduro event at Hamsterley. I’ve gone 160 mm front and 1 x 11 XT.

@benpinnick – Ditto the commission (a new back tyre will do! :-))

ogden
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer Rustychain! New bike is already ordered now though.

chakaping why did you decide to upgrade the wheel set?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘First full suspension mtb’ is closed to new replies.