Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • First build project…
  • gregga
    Free Member

…will soon be underway. The piggy is hopefully being dispatched today and then the build can start (under the very close supervision of Skiboy 🙂 )

I've never done this before so really looking forward to it all coming together.

Any stories of first build mishaps/lessons learnt?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Nope should be fine. Just take care with BB and pedal threads, use plenty of grease too. Also be careful when cutting cables to length and look carefully where to fit the heli tape our rubbed paint will make you swear after your first ride. Make sure you assemble the headset correctly – it's easy to mix up the races and things

takisawa2

Measure twice, three times even, & cut once.

tinsy
    Free Member

Is it just me or have got a little carried away and posted the thread a bit early, it means nothing wihtout being finished and pictured!

Hurry up.

gregga
    Free Member

Totally carried away for sure 😳

soma_rich
    Free Member

Take pics all the way throuh the build tehn you can post up a flick book 🙂

tinsy
    Free Member

excused… post em when you got em.. 🙂

jim_1980
    Free Member

tinsy i bet it gets done before my first build.
    one tip i can give is if you are using a headset off an old bike make sure you keep the crown race that is fitted to the forks on that old bike.
    I kept the old headset but threw the old forks away (which still had the crown race attached)and am now either trying to find a crown race to fit or go for a whole new head set + crown race :o(

gregga
    Free Member

Good idea on the pics. Frame should be here Monday, hurry up indeed!!

New headset coming with the frame

skiboy
    Free Member

misshaps/lessons learned,

Don't give skiboy vodka prior to starting,
    Don't give skiboy Vodka during build,
    Don't let your boys cut the steerer tube,
    Don't let my girls near the thing fullstop,
    Don't let our wives get involved,
    😉

shortbaldone
    Free Member

[*]remember the wheels go at the bottom otherwise you will have to lay on your back to ride it once its finished
    good luck!

gregga
    Free Member

I'll keep the vodka for once the tools have been put away (phnar, phnar). No children or wifelets to be allowed within 30' 😆

alexpalacefan

Don't try to finish too late in the evening. You get tired and mistakes happen.

I was taking brakes from one 456 to another, had to cut the hose as it runs through closed guides. I then replaced the hose with the new un I had for the purpose, forgetting to run it through the new frame! D'oh!!!

Should have been in the pub by that point and finsihed the next day 🙁

A

gregga
    Free Member

gregga
    Free Member

And here it is 😆
    I see Skiboy posted earlier on another thread on this so some more piccies here. Was a joy to work on and turned out just as I hoped it would. I think for a first bike this is going to be awesome. Big big thanks again to Skiboy for his help. I guess I owe you that Vodka now 😯

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘First build project…’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM